NBA: 2022 NBA offseason

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Who are the busts in this class?

I hate to say it, but that skinny kid from Gonzaga...I will be surprised if he has staying power. Keegan might not be a bust, but the Kings taking him is confusing. I think he could be a piece on a team, but he is not going to be impacting games that much with his skill set imo, unless he becomes elite at something.

Holy hell is David Roddy to the 76ers a bad pick. Does this make one of either he or Georges irrelevant on that team?

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

I hate to say it, but that skinny kid from Gonzaga...I will be surprised if he has staying power. Keegan might not be a bust, but the Kings taking him is confusing. I think he could be a piece on a team, but he is not going to be impacting games that much with his skill set imo, unless he becomes elite at something.

Holy hell is David Roddy to the 76ers a bad pick. Does this make one of either he or Georges irrelevant on that team?

Gotta believe that one will hurt niang

• Haha
Reactions: Halincandenza

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Keegan might not be a star but I have a really hard time seeing him not be an effective player. His defensive versatility and ability to score without needing plays run for him gives him a great chance to succeed.

Holmgren obviously is high ceiling/low floor type of guy, but I think OKC is a great situation for him and they are going to be a really fun team in the next few years with him and Shai and Giddy.

I'm not sold on Ivey, super athlete, but streaky shooter and not a great defender. I'm also not big on Johnny Davis, he's just too inefficient of a scorer to make me think he will be successful in the NBA.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

I don't think Chet will be a bust because I think he is an elite shot blocker, can handle the ball and can shoot the ball. I think those skills will be enough to make him at least a decent player.

I think Ivey could be a bust. Roddy was a horrible pick. I am not sure what the hell that front office was thinking.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
A lot of morons quick to try and clown AJ, but he wins in this scenario for sure. Two-way contract is worth a hell of a lot more than another year in college. Would have loved to have in Ames, but I imagine he had a pre-draft deal with the Bucks and you're not turning down $500k.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Ivey is my vote, the Morant comparisons are a joke, other than his hair, he's nothing like Ja. He is only really good in transition and has shown no PG skills or the ability to create off the dribble in the half court. People are distracted by his athleticism but he's a total project. His niche is playing with the ball in his hands but that's also his biggest weakness. He's got potential but he's much more of an athlete than bball player right now.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think Chet will be a bust because I think he is an elite shot blocker, can handle the ball and can shoot the ball. I think those skills will be enough to make him at least a decent player.

I think Ivey could be a bust. Roddy was a horrible pick. I am not sure what the hell that front office was thinking.
I thought Roddy would go undrafted. Insane to me that he was a first round pick by anyone, but especially a team that if anything could have used a more athletic guy.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
A lot of morons quick to try and clown AJ, but he wins in this scenario for sure. Two-way contract is worth a hell of a lot more than another year in college. Would have loved to have in Ames, but I imagine he had a pre-draft deal with the Bucks and you're not turning down $500k.
Ok, I agree people shouldn't be clowning, but that isn't $500k guaranteed, is it?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ivey is my vote, the Morant comparisons are a joke, other than his hair, he's nothing like Ja. He is only really good in transition and has shown no PG skills or the ability to create off the dribble in the half court. People are distracted by his athleticism but he's a total project. His niche is playing with the ball in his hands but that's also his biggest weakness. He's got potential but he's much more of an athlete than bball player right now.

To me he looked raw and streaky but there were times when he was an absolute monster so with the right situation, coaching, etc. he may be just fine.

Reactions: heitclone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Keegan might not be a star but I have a really hard time seeing him not be an effective player. His defensive versatility and ability to score without needing plays run for him gives him a great chance to succeed.

Holmgren obviously is high ceiling/low floor type of guy, but I think OKC is a great situation for him and they are going to be a really fun team in the next few years with him and Shai and Giddy.

I'm not sold on Ivey, super athlete, but streaky shooter and not a great defender. I'm also not big on Johnny Davis, he's just too inefficient of a scorer to make me think he will be successful in the NBA.
Keegan might not be a star, you're right, but banking on him at pick #4 indicates that you as a franchise are thinking (hoping) he can be. I just don't see him having that kind of an impact as he's not one that's going to go out and put the team on his back night in and night out. He will be one of those quiet stat guys, average like 12 and 6 in his prime or something like that, which is fine, but again, not sure worthy of a pick that high.

Holmgren will be one I watch closely. I honestly didn't watch a lot of Gonzaga this year, but call me a doubter in his game translating to the NBA. Gonzaga tried to make him a big from what I understand, which is not his preferred game. I'll be curious to see if he can translate to being an effective perimeter player in the league.

Good call on Ivey. I was blown away at times this year at Purdue, but at other times I wanted to look away. Johnny Davis is in the same boat. Ivey, Davis and Keegan all had inflated college stats playing in the defense optional Big 10, where refs also like to call a lot of fouls. Not sure about Ivey, but Davis and Murray shot an exorbitant amount of FT's this year.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Ok, I agree people shouldn't be clowning, but that isn't $500k guaranteed, is it?
Non-guaranteed, correct. Paid at a flat rate equal to 50% of rookie minimum, which will be $502k this year. Generally though teams aren't cutting bait on two-way guys quickly as they only get two two-way contract spots, so you're not handing those out on a whim. Also, NBA guys get paid on the 1st and 15th just like a lot of normal people. So every 15 days he's on that contract he's collecting a $20k paycheck.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Keegan might not be a star, you're right, but banking on him at pick #4 indicates that you as a franchise are thinking (hoping) he can be. I just don't see him having that kind of an impact as he's not one that's going to go out and put the team on his back night in and night out. He will be one of those quiet stat guys, average like 12 and 6 in his prime or something like that, which is fine, but again, not sure worthy of a pick that high.

Holmgren will be one I watch closely. I honestly didn't watch a lot of Gonzaga this year, but call me a doubter in his game translating to the NBA. Gonzaga tried to make him a big from what I understand, which is not his preferred game. I'll be curious to see if he can translate to being an effective perimeter player in the league.

Good call on Ivey. I was blown away at times this year at Purdue, but at other times I wanted to look away. Johnny Davis is in the same boat. Ivey, Davis and Keegan all had inflated college stats playing in the defense optional Big 10, where refs also like to call a lot of fouls. Not sure about Ivey, but Davis and Murray shot an exorbitant amount of FT's this year.

My take on this draft is that, even the top 3 to some extent, picks 4-10/12 seem more like picks 15-22ish in a normal draft. It just seemed incredibly weak this year for whatever reason. I’m not bagging on Keegan by any means because I love his game and he is a player the cyclones needed last year. He just seems so much more suited to be on a team like the Jazz, Dallas, Clippers, etc. a team that isn’t quite there but aren’t absolutely ******* like the Kings organization is.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
100% agree. He's going to have to greatly improve his ability to play on the ball if he's going to be an impact player. People fall in love with the speed and ignore everything else. It didn't make a ton of sense for Detroit when you've already got a ball dominant guard who's way better than Ivey but that's why they're the Pistons.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Ideally you want a star at the 4th pick, sure, but you can only pick from who's available. If you aren't high on Ivey, who do you think is the potential star that they should have taken? They could take a shot on Sharpe or Dieng, but there's a much higher chance those guys bust too.

I think you're way too low on Keegan, I expect him to put up 12/6 next year, in his prime I think he's closer to a 20/8 type of guy. There's not a lot of guys that can put up 23/9 in a big time conference and do it in a way that translates to the NBA.

I also don't think the Kings are trying to win an NBA title right now, they just want to make the playoffs. Adding another NBA quality starter who is ready to play big minutes next year gets them in the playoff race a lot closer than a project. Even if he comes with a lower ceiling.