2022 Safety D’Angelo Hutchinson Commits!

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
I remember him! Thought we were cool on him after previous high interest.

Saw he doesn’t have a recruit rank yet but is projected around a .85 I think.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I can't help but feel that a guy like this is a diamond in the rough. Looking at the 2017 and 2018 classes, there's plenty of dudes who were severely underrated as recruits. I trust Campbell and staff more than 247/Rivals/etc.

I feel like the staff goes through a sequence somewhat like this:
  • Does he possess the natural level of talent to play at this level?
  • Is he passionate about the game of football?
  • Does he have a great motor?
  • Does he have great character and leadership ability?
If the answer to all of those questions is yes, I think that's a player they want, as they feel that the kid will work to get to the necessary level to get on the field for us.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Must have given all those recruits a taste of the Ames water. Amazing success from that weekend back in June.

Reactions: cyfan21

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Have to love the 6'2" size and athletic profile on his tape.

Between TJ Tampa, Craig McDonald, Beau Freyler, Myles Purchase, Mason Chambers, Malik Verdon, Jordyn Morgan, Noble Thomas, Jeremiah Cooper and the next Hutch.. Most D backs are over 6'0 or close. Those that aren't are really hard hitters too like Cooper or athletic studs like Purchase (5'11")

Once Speedy has graduated.. Our Rhoads era 5'8" corner mismatches are gone

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I can't help but feel that a guy like this is a diamond in the rough. Looking at the 2017 and 2018 classes, there's plenty of dudes who were severely underrated as recruits. I trust Campbell and staff more than 247/Rivals/etc.
Agree. The number of recruits that have not panned out while Campbell has been here is tiny compared to previous coaching staffs. Their track record is phenomenal.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Agree. The number of recruits that have not panned out while Campbell has been here is tiny compared to previous coaching staffs. Their track record is phenomenal.
Its almost like it is better to recruit based on what the kid can be as a junior or senior in college (by looking at him as a person) rather than what he is as a junior or senior in high school (by looking at him as a player). Who knew?!

The college player will be playing for you - the high school player won't be.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
The last Cyclone recruit, rated this low (actually lower), was 2 star running back, Deon Silas. The guy that just scored his first Iowa State touchdown in his third game (as a true freshman) !

Last edited:

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

Never forget Jeremy Reeves - a high-level P5 cornerback in every single way but his height, which was listed at a charitable 5'7".

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
The last Cyclone recruit, rated this low (actually lower), was 2 star running back, Dion Silas. The guy that just scored his first Iowa State touchdown in his third game (as a true freshman) !
Huh?

Silas was a mid 3 star with offers from TCU, Virginia, & West Virginia.

Your point still stands.

Reactions: FeedBreece

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Have to love the 6'2" size and athletic profile on his tape.

Between TJ Tampa, Craig McDonald, Beau Freyler, Myles Purchase, Mason Chambers, Malik Verdon, Jordyn Morgan, Noble Thomas, Jeremiah Cooper and the next Hutch.. Most D backs are over 6'0 or close. Those that aren't are really hard hitters too like Cooper or athletic studs like Purchase (5'11")

Tampa is a STUD.

Those Rhoads dbacks vs Okie St and Baylor could get torched.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Never forget Jeremy Reeves - a high-level P5 cornerback in every single way but his height, which was listed at a charitable 5'7".
Someone mentioned Jeremy Reeves and I can't find the video of his on-side kickoff return for a touchdown against Texas Tech. I am sad. Here is a highlight video of that game that appears to be filmed with a potato.

It is at about the 2:35 mark.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
like how he looks and agree, I have a very high trust level in terms of the staff and finding and then developing players

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
agree with posters above. I love that we’re going after big, rangy athletic types in the secondary now rather than the short, stocky, overachiever types. (Love Reeves and Peavy, but you can’t put guys like that on a 6’5 Baylor WR)