2022 Stock Market

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Looking at moving and/or consolidating our accounts to other brokerage(s). We currently have 4 accounts with different investment houses. What are the thoughts on consolidation to 1 or 2, or keeping 4?
4+ would be a PITA. I have a rep for mine, wife has hers and TD Ameritrade for our individual sticks (combined)

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Looking at moving and/or consolidating our accounts to other brokerage(s). We currently have 4 accounts with different investment houses. What are the thoughts on consolidation to 1 or 2, or keeping 4?

I was at 4 one time as well but now have it consolidated down to 2 which is way easier to track and manage.

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021

I did it and am glad due to the reduction in end of year paperwork among other things. You can expect fees and foot dragging from the losing brokerages, though.

• Informative
Reactions: keepngoal

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Bump.

Fun year in the markets. TSLA deciding to end the year with a thud... It may end up going down as quickly as it went up the last couple years.

What's everyone thinking for 2023?

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
The bigger it drops, the better the bargain us 30 year old's have for our own retirement.. Keep on doing down
Yeah I'm just making weekly purchases on a few stocks and index funds. Don't plan on touching it anytime soon so it's fine for me.

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
Bump.

Fun year in the markets. TSLA deciding to end the year with a thud... It may end up going down as quickly as it went up the last couple years.

What's everyone thinking for 2023?

2023 - downtrend continues - BTC 12k - ETH - 600 - SPY 3300 - TSLA 60-70
2024 - Accumulation of a lifetime opportunities - BTC halving
2025 - Money printer go brrrr - bull run

Base case for me.

Reactions: Fitzy

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think once China gets up and going, things will start heading in the right direction, slowly. Interest rates will keep a tap on things though while inflation falls due to China production.

Reactions: cyclone1209

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
The bigger it drops, the better the bargain us 30 year old's have for our own retirement.. Keep on doing down
I've been short since SPY hit the 200ma in early December, did the same thing in August. This leg could run to 3400 in Q1 2023 and I'll look to buy calls for the way back up hopefully.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Stock price might suffer just because Wall Street is a popularity contest. But I think Tesla is going to be very far ahead in the autonomy game.

Tesla isn't the only company in the autonomy game, some are arguably farther ahead (and much more likely to get to FSD than with Tesla's camera-only system), and will license that tech out to the big players at some point.

Tesla arguably hit its peak already as an early mover in a lot of what it offers. Its likely all down from here even if Musk wasn't a giant asshat.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Tesla isn't the only company in the autonomy game, some are arguably farther ahead (and much more likely to get to FSD than with Tesla's camera-only system), and will license that tech out to the big players at some point.

Tesla arguably hit its peak already as an early mover in a lot of what it offers. Its likely all down from here even if Musk
wasn't a giant asshat.
It takes one engineer defecting to lose a 10 year lead on R&D. He's already lost a lot of his top people the last 5 years.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My retirement funds are down about 11% this year and my net worth is down about 5%.

In 2021 they were up 20%/18%
In 2020 they were up 18%/17%
in 2019 they were up 25%/21%

Hard to complain overall when until this year I haven't had a negative year in 14 years(2018 was basically a wash). My biggest concern is what inflation did to my portfolio. Stocks will go back up in time but most of that inflation will stick with us forever.

I'm not going to pretend to know when to get out of the market or get back into the market. I plan on holding steady. Unfortunately, my target date funds didn't help me one bit since bonds also crapped out in 2022.

Reactions: Cyclone06

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
My
My retirement funds are down about 11% this year and my net worth is down about 5%.

In 2021 they were up 20%/18%
In 2020 they were up 18%/17%
in 2019 they were up 25%/21%

Hard to complain overall when until this year I haven't had a negative year in 14 years(2018 was basically a wash). My biggest concern is what inflation did to my portfolio. Stocks will go back up in time but most of that inflation will stick with us forever.

I'm not going to pretend to know when to get out of the market or get back into the market. I plan on holding steady. Unfortunately, my target date funds didn't help me one bit since bonds also crapped out in 2022.

My retirement account is down 10.8% for the year. The one move I made was to move accumulated funds out of S&P index fund in late 2021 (close to market peak) into a more conservative fund. Seems like that move saved about 4% for my account. New investments still going primarily into S&P 500 for the long haul (I’m about 30 years from retiring).

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I would like to give a heartfelt "**** you" to the 2022 stock market.

Burn in hell.
I’m with ya. I’m retired, but haven’t needed to touch the funds in my TSP yet. Even had them invested in a very conservative fund that wasn’t supposed to be risky at all.

In the first 3-4 months of 2022 I lost just about everything I’d gained in the entirety of 2021. Things had been a little better over the past 3 months, but I’m afraid to check on what it looks like after December.

When I was still working and still putting part of my paycheck into my TSP, downturns weren’t that huge of a deal … I was putting in the same amount every two weeks, so when the S&P dropped, I was essentially buying more shares cheap, so when things turned around I was in great position. I no longer have that paycheck buying me shares, so when the fund goes down, I just lose money I’m counting on to withdraw in a couple of years.

(I can’t complain too much - in my previous 3 years of retirement my fund had been doing well above my targets - but still, I don’t like seeing that total number go the wrong direction.)

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I’m with ya. I’m retired, but haven’t needed to touch the funds in my TSP yet. Even had them invested in a very conservative fund that wasn’t supposed to be risky at all.

In the first 3-4 months of 2022 I lost just about everything I’d gained in the entirety of 2021. Things had been a little better over the past 3 months, but I’m afraid to check on what it looks like after December.

When I was still working and still putting part of my paycheck into my TSP, downturns weren’t that huge of a deal … I was putting in the same amount every two weeks, so when the S&P dropped, I was essentially buying more shares cheap, so when things turned around I was in great position. I no longer have that paycheck buying me shares, so when the fund goes down, I just lose money I’m counting on to withdraw in a couple of years.

(I can’t complain too much - in my previous 3 years of retirement my fund had been doing well above my targets - but still, I don’t like seeing that total number go the wrong direction.)

I've taken a thumping. No other way to put it. I'm aggressive and sometimes that results in losses.

Seems Congress just changed the minimum distribution age again. My wife is 7 years younger than I am and we already live on one salary.

So there's time. I was buying shares this year.

But still..... And the horse you rode in on, 2022 stock market

Reactions: KidSilverhair