2022 Stock Market

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Nice looking chart, but I don't think it's done falling yet. Most of the companies in the index are not profitable, which in itself isn't a big deal, but what's different about this pullback from the others is inflation. Inflation is driving sector rotation. Companies with high valuations, and especially ones that aren't profitable are getting hammered.

If it were me, I'd let it settle down and make a new base before establishing or adding to a position as there's no near term catalyst to send it up other than a dead cat bounce. Fighting a stampede never ends well.
It already dropped 50% from ATH last January, not like it just started dropping. The monthly and yearly uptrend hasn't been broken since XBI began in '06 and that is showing a 82.75ish floor for both. Not saying it won't happen now or ever, just that it hasn't ever yet. Price is currently under 2018 levels.

I expect some big pharma acquisitions with those billions in covid cash, I think Pfizer made something like $36 billion just on the vax in 2021. There are also over 100 biotechs with a market cap under their current cash on hand. The sector got hammered all of 2021.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
It already dropped 50% from ATH last January, not like it just started dropping. The monthly and yearly uptrend hasn't been broken since XBI began in '06 and that is showing a 82.75ish floor for both. Not saying it won't happen now or ever, just that it hasn't ever yet. Price is currently under 2018 levels.

I expect some big pharma acquisitions with those billions in covid cash, I think Pfizer made something like $36 billion just on the vax in 2021. There are also over 100 biotechs with a market cap under their current cash on hand. The sector got hammered all of 2021.

100% Agree there will be acquisitions in the sector. And I'm not saying it's not a good play. My only concern is the timing. If you look closely, the sell off has accelerated since the 1st of this year after breaking through resistance around thanksgiving. I'm just giving feedback as to why.

NEVER try to catch a falling knife. Nothing sucks worse than buying a stock after a 50% pullback only to see it drop another 20-30%.

We haven't seen inflation like this for 40 years. It may end up being less transitory than currently feared, but until there is evidence to the contrary, the playbook has changed. PE's contract when price of cash goes up, and companies with no earnings get vaporized. (or revalued properly depending on your perspective)

I wouldn't be surprised if it finds a bottom before the first acquisition happens. Personally, I'd rather give up a few points of upside by being a bit late while it finds a support level than getting in too early and having to eat a 20% loss out of the gate. If you decide to jump in now anyway, my suggestion would be to do it by selling a covered at-the-money put. The current Feb 18th $89 strike is currently earning $4.65 in premium. If the stock keeps going down and the option gets exercised, you own it for $84.35 rather than the current $89.32 or so, ($89- $4.65) If it goes up or sideways and the option doesn't get exercised, you still have the $4.65 to offset the purchase price should it take off to the upside without you.

I know people who do nothing but sell covered puts and calls. They do quite well and do so with reduced risk.

Good luck!

Reactions: NATEizKING

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Good god, when is this going to end!?
I'd like to know the people on this thread who didn't have to invest through the last two "true" bear markets. 2000 to 2003 and 07/08. This is NOTHING compared to that. While the 2020 event was technically a bear market, the Fed bought our way out of that one so I'm not counting that.
If you're panicking out of your investments, then your investment horizon is out of whack with your portfolio, and you need to adjust it. You can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I'd like to know the people on this thread who didn't have to invest through the last two "true" bear markets. 2001 to 2003 and 07/08. This is NOTHING compared to that. While the 2020 event was technically a bear market, the Fed bought our way out of that one so I'm not counting that.
If you're panicking out of your investments, then your investment horizon is out of whack with your portfolio, and you need to adjust it. You can't have it both ways.

I haven't sold anything, but just seeing constant negatives is tiresome.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I'd like to know the people on this thread who didn't have to invest through the last two "true" bear markets. 2001 to 2003 and 07/08. This is NOTHING compared to that. While the 2020 event was technically a bear market, the Fed bought our way out of that one so I'm not counting that.

Yep, I don't retire for another 10 years. Not worried at all, it will come back. Not even worried about the kids 529 accounts, and they go to college in the fall. It will be back before then also.

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020

To be fair there have only been 4 months since 2001 where the market has been down 10% in a month. But yes you're absolutely right. If you're not comfortable holding what you have in your portfolio it's time to do a deep dive on what you hold and adjust accordingly

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Yep, I don't retire for another 10 years. Not worried at all, it will come back. Not even worried about the kids 529 accounts, and they go to college in the fall. It will be back before then also.
If one has money in the stock market that they will need for an expense in the next few years then that's gambling and sometimes one gets their a$$ handed to them gambling. The stock market is for money further out than that. In my opinion.