***2023-24 College Football Thread***

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They won the toss in 1OT and chose to go on offense.

In 2OT, CSU gets the first choice, and chose to defend first.

Why would anyone ever chose to go first? It’s such a disadvantage. The other team can miss a FG and you know all you have to do is kick a FG to win.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why would anyone ever chose to go first? It’s such a disadvantage. The other team can miss a FG and you know all you have to do is kick a FG to win.

There's some analytics showing that it may actually be better to go on offense first, so we've seen it a bit more lately.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Conversely, if you score a TD on your possession, you force your opponent to score a TD to stay in the game. I guess it depends if you want to be proactive or reactive. Traditionally conventional wisdom said to be reactive in this situation, but as earlier posted, analytics lately are saying it's better to be proactive.

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
In football it is better to be Lucky then good. The CSU loss hurts more then even the ISU loss :D:D

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There's some analytics showing that it may actually be better to go on offense first, so we've seen it a bit more lately.

I’m trying to figure out what the reason could possibly be for that or if it’s just statistical outlier.

I really can’t think of a reason I’d prefer being on offense first. I mean look at CSU just now. It was 4th and 22 but they knew they needed 8. Had they gone first they’d have kicked the FG in same situation.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
In hindsight probably should have just tried to ice it on 4th and 1 with like 2 minutes left. Defense failed them though.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I’m trying to figure out what the reason could possibly be for that or if it’s just statistical outlier.

I really can’t think of a reason I’d prefer being on offense first. I mean look at CSU just now. It was 4th and 22 but they knew they needed 8. Had they gone first they’d have kicked the FG in same situation.

"They knew they needed 8" is one way to look at it. "Colorado forced them to score 8" is another way to look at it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
"They knew they needed 8" is one way to look at it. "Colorado forced them to score 8" is another way to look at it.

I’m more inclined to believe it’s some emotional or psychological advantage to setting a tone than an actual strategic advantage…if it really is better to go first. Interesting to think about. To me it’s always seemed pretty unfair I thought it was such an advantage, and then 2OT gets that format back to exactly fair.

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
The hate for Prime is hilarious be
Never though I would say this hope Oregan ends this cocky MF.
And CMC is doing what? That's the crazy thing they have energy and passion in the program. ISU has one of the best fans but we on this Love Boat cruise

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron