2023 March Madness Des Moines

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don’t necessarily disagree but that is more because you are comparing to Hilton.

Hilton is an excellent arena for basketball. There are maybe some changes we could do to improve the seats but most of the Hilton issues are with concessions and the concourse.

Wells Fargo Arena has much better concessions and concourses. It’s arena seating could be better but it is adequate especially for an arena that is built for multi use. I compare Wells Fargo and it is comparable to the Sprint Center or whatever it is called now. It is much better than the arena in Omaha. Carver Hawkeye is a disaster. The United Center is better but that is an NBA Arena so I would hope it is better. Even then I didn’t think it was that much of an improvement over Wells Fargo.
I'm sorry but the Well is not even close to comparable to T-Mobile (Sprint).

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
For NCAA tournament games that is a consideration due to the timing of everything.

My larger point is that we are spoiled with Hilton.
Concessions have been an absolute disaster at Wells Fargo when they've hosted the tournament. It's not even close to adequate.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Concessions have been an absolute disaster at Wells Fargo when they've hosted the tournament. It's not even close to adequate.
Yeah, I'm not trying to pile on but they even admitted this last time.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Got on there for the pre-sale and the best was section 314 behind the basket. What kind of scam are these idiots running there? That's an insult to offer a pre-sale code then have only seats like that left.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Lol, like what? Sites are going to be limited to half the country if they decide to only have the tourney in states that allow abortion.
I am not talking about that. I am talking about another issue where the NCAA has specifically said they will be reviewing where they are hosting sites for tournaments and championships and they could be moved based on what the state is doing on that issue.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Got on there for the pre-sale and the best was section 314 behind the basket. What kind of scam are these idiots running there? That's an insult to offer a pre-sale code then have only seats like that left.

My wife said the same thing and I had to explain to her that 1/3 to 1/2 of the total tickets are not for sale and held for 1) participating university delegations, 2) NCAA delegations and 3) Corporate sponsor delegations.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I am not talking about that. I am talking about another issue where the NCAA has specifically said they will be reviewing where they are hosting sites for tournaments and championships and they could be moved based on what the state is doing on that issue.
The NCAA backed off on that hardcore when they realized they'd lose some major cash cow cities. It's a non-issue at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: Halincandenza

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I had looked just for fun but I could have bought 300 level tickets on the side which aren't too bad. You would rather have those than behind the hoops.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Anybody else try to get in the public sale this morning? I got some horrible seats in the "presale" so I released them and decided to try today. No tickets available at all even though I've been refreshing since 10.

WFA can EAD, I dont know what kind of scam they are running now. It's basketball not a Taylor Swift concert.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Anybody else try to get in the public sale this morning? I got some horrible seats in the "presale" so I released them and decided to try today. No tickets available at all even though I've been refreshing since 10.

WFA can EAD, I dont know what kind of scam they are running now. It's basketball not a Taylor Swift concert.
Shake it off

• Funny
  • Haha
Reactions: NWICY and IASTATE07

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009

The NCAA makes the decision on what seats get released for presales/on-sale

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The NCAA makes the decision on what seats get released for presales/on-sale
Well, they must have released about 500 seats to the general public for the actual sale because it was sold out right at 10 when I tried to get in there. I don't know what good a public on-sale is if there aren't tickets left. Got them last time without any issues.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

It's not WFA running things it's the NCAA. Your beef is with them.

Nihawk

Nov 3, 2009
I went in 2016 and 2019. Tickets were cheap. NCAA tournament games a rarely sold-out. Not enough time to make plans if you have to travel. Obviously if Iowa or ISU would end up in Des Moines it would sell out, but not with any other teams.

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
I went in 2016 and 2019. Tickets were cheap. NCAA tournament games a rarely sold-out. Not enough time to make plans if you have to travel. Obviously if Iowa or ISU would end up in Des Moines it would sell out, but not with any other teams.
it's already sold out and it went on sale last Saturday

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Finally got some tickets through a 3rd party, $100 per ticket fees, what a total joke. Of course it won't show you the fees either until you checkout.

Oh well, at least I'll be there. I guess that's ehat I get for letting go terrible seats during the presale.

CycloneEggie

Oct 28, 2011
To give you an idea of how popular this event is in Des Moines, they just announced single session tickets on sale. It is on sale at Dayton for first 4. 7 of the 8 first and second round locations and all 4 Regional locations.

The only place single sessions are not available? Des Moines.

I'm glad we are in the rotation. I've been able to get tickets each of the three times. It is so much fun and our city does this event well. Downtown is hopping with tents/food trucks and watch stations around Cowles Commons and Court Avenue blocked off with large TVs. They continue to add more things around the stadium with new hotels and Jethros coming in to be another option right by the arena in addition to Buzzard Billy's.

Yeah Wells Fargo arena is better for hockey, but this event has been great. I'm sure KU will get in this regional, which is annoying. Last time they were not and the Gopher fans took over the city.

I look forward to when ISU is good enough to get placed in Des Moines for the first two rounds. It would be amazing. (Hopefully Iowa never does, it was looking like a possibility in one of the years, but as usual they faded down the stretch and didn't get placed nearby.