***2023 PGA Tour Thread***

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Just wait until Rory takes the bag then all bets are off.

Good on them, if somebody is going to offer you ridiculous money, take it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think the merger only encourages leaving. If the organization you work with is comfortable enough to partner with the bad guy, why not go work for the bad guy.
Yeah, that was stupid and hypocritical. Really sucks for a golf fan too. I really have no interest in the LIV format, and if they lose too many players to them, it kind of puts an asterisk on the traditional tournaments (and the majors are my second favorite sporting event after March Madness).

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
For as anti-LIV as Rahm was at the beginning, this certainly shows that everyone has a price.
Obviously it's absurd money but also I think a lot of the PGA players were pissed off by the merger basically behind their back at the time so at this point it's screw U PGA.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Obviously it's absurd money but also I think a lot of the PGA players were pissed off by the merger basically behind their back at the time.
I think a lot got over that. The bigger issue I have read with Rahm is that he doesn't feel he is marketed as well as some of the other top players in the PGA and gets a bit of a raw deal. Also, he always had Phil in his ear trying to get him to join the LIV

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
Has "the merger deal" closed or is it still ongoing?
The merger is still on-going. After it was announced this summer that the Saudis were going to invest in the tour, a lot of PE firms were like “huh, we didn’t even know you were open for outside investment”.

The deadline for the tour and PIF is the end of the year, but no one knows if that deadline will be extended or if there will be multiple partners (PE, PIF, or some combination) that will be making an investment.

Consensus seems to be the PIF will have an investment so LIV and the tour can live in harmony along with a PE group like the Fenway people, because they will help the tour’s success from the sports side.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
The merger is still on-going. After it was announced this summer that the Saudis were going to invest in the tour, a lot of PE firms were like “huh, we didn’t even know you were open for outside investment”.

The deadline for the tour and PIF is the end of the year, but no one knows if that deadline will be extended or if there will be multiple partners (PE, PIF, or some combination) that will be making an investment.

Consensus seems to be the PIF will have an investment so LIV and the tour can live in harmony along with a PE group like the Fenway people, because they will help the tour’s success from the sports side.
Perhaps I misunderstand the ownership/relationship, but it seems odd to bid so high to steal a player from one entity you are invested in into another.

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
Perhaps I misunderstand the ownership/relationship, but it seems odd to bid so high to steal a player from one entity you are invested in into another.
I didn’t say any of it made sense. Lol. I too think it’s weird why this is happening now with everything in flux. I was always shocked rahm didn’t go because of his deep relationships with Phil/sergio. I think LIV is still in over-spend mode because they have a LOT of money behind them. But they also want to actually make money so they can’t continue to be this silly side show and why they want to make nice with the pga tour.

I can only assume rahm feels LIV and the tour will peacefully coexist in the future. It’s also no secret he’s not “one of the boys” on tour. He doesn’t get along with Rory. He lives in AZ while most of the tour lives in FL, GA, or TX. With the new PFL starting up I wonder if he wasn’t necessarily asked or didn’t think he was welcome?? Seems like that could have been the catalyst to make the jump for the moola.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I didn’t say any of it made sense. Lol. I too think it’s weird why this is happening now with everything in flux. I was always shocked rahm didn’t go because of his deep relationships with Phil/sergio. I think LIV is still in over-spend mode because they have a LOT of money behind them. But they also want to actually make money so they can’t continue to be this silly side show and why they want to make nice with the pga tour.

I can only assume rahm feels LIV and the tour will peacefully coexist in the future. It’s also no secret he’s not “one of the boys” on tour. He doesn’t get along with Rory. He lives in AZ while most of the tour lives in FL, GA, or TX. With the new PFL starting up I wonder if he wasn’t necessarily asked or didn’t think he was welcome?? Seems like that could have been the catalyst to make the jump for the moola.
I'm not sure how they actually make money with the contracts they are throwing out. Team golf is an oddity at the pro level, and I'm not sure the fans are ever going to warm to it.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Tony Finau & Tyrell Hatton next rumored ones to be joining LIV.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Becoming more clear that the gameplan was to wait until the rage cooled down then make your move. Let the first a few big movers take all the heat, wait until the public scorn has passed along then go get your bag of money.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
When Rahm got the Masters win and the multi-year exemptions in to the 4 Major's, he went into stealth mode regarding LIV. He joins Koepka with a eff-ton of $$$ and free runs to the majors. That is the status quo as of today.

PGA Tour has to get something figured out or this will be the model from here on out.