***2023 Tennis Thread***

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
@GoHawks Always love talking tennis with you. You’ve got a great eye for the game it appears and I love that you know more than just the top players. Do you play?
Thank you same here man. Never at an organized level. I started too late. I fell in a love with the sport when I was around 16-17. I've played for last 20 years since with a small group of friends and family. I play a lot and maybe more pickelball too because more people play it. I'm sure you play and know playing with a beginner in Tennis is about as fun as shoveling the sidewalk. Playing pickelball with a beginner isn't half bad. I wish tennis had more followers like the fanatics in this thread

Last edited:
Reactions: isutrevman

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Thank you same here man. Never at an organized level. I started too late. I fell in a love with the sport when I was around 16-17. I've played for last 20 years since with a small group of friends and family. I play a lot and maybe more pickelball too because more people play it. I'm sure you play and know playing with a beginner in Tennis is about as fun as shoveling the sidewalk. Playing pickelball with a beginner isn't half bad. I wish tennis had more followers like the fanatics in this thread
That’s awesome! You sound like me, as I didn’t start playing until I was 18. And being from a small 3A school in Iowa we didn’t have tennis, which really was unfortunate because I loved it the minute I tried it finally. Wish I would have done it years before that so I could have played at the closest 4A school to us.

I get asked to do pickelball all of the time, but I refuse simply because it is taking over the tennis world lol! In all seriousness though, what I liked about tennis is exactly what you said. Most sports you can start and at least have fun, but tennis is so hard to break through that it’s so mental to stick with it and keep working until you can hit well enough. I actually love hitting with new people so I can hopefully teach them a bit to get them to stay with it.

But yes, when all is said and done, I want to get out and hit with someone who can really play. And fortunately when I moved out to Connecticut here in 2010 I found that guy. He is a 6.0-6.5 player and basically just decided tennis as a career wasn’t going to be for him but he could have gone professional if he had wanted to.

To this day 13 years later I only hit with him because of two things: 1) He absolutely made and continues to make me better because you get to feel and see first hand what it’s like to hit with someone at that level AND 2) We never play matches. Ever. Hell we have never even played a single game. We go out for 2-3 hours and play ball after ball after ball just working on everything.

I now play at a 5.0 level simply from continuing to grind and play with this guy. And that’s the real joy of tennis. It never stops being something you work on. You don’t perfect it and are always breaking things down to build your game back up.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I played tennis in high school. The great part of that is you aren’t subject to the whims of a coach as to playing time or spot. You beat the person ahead of you, you play in that spot in the lineup. Calling your own lines is sometimes interesting. And fortunately our school didn’t make us wear tennis skirts. All of my boys qualified for state tennis. I wasn’t that good, although I did win a few matches at a VEISHEA tournament (RIP VEISHEA).

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I played tennis in high school. The great part of that is you aren’t subject to the whims of a coach as to playing time or spot. You beat the person ahead of you, you play in that spot in the lineup. Calling your own lines is sometimes interesting. And fortunately our school didn’t make us wear tennis skirts. All of my boys qualified for state tennis. I wasn’t that good, although I did win a few matches at a VEISHEA tournament (RIP VEISHEA).
Such a good point about how you earn your spot. It’s such a mental and personal challenge, which leads to such great feelings when you accomplish something in the sport.

I’ve always wanted to know how it was calling your own lines in High School. That concept once I learned how your refereed yourself was so crazy to me.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Superb match for Korda. Love his game and potential. He and Brooksby have me the most excited along with Tiafoe. Frances is just fun and I love his fighting spirit.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Such a good point about how you earn your spot. It’s such a mental and personal challenge, which leads to such great feelings when you accomplish something in the sport.

I’ve always wanted to know how it was calling your own lines in High School. That concept once I learned how your refereed yourself was so crazy to me.
My doubles partner was aggravating. If she had any doubt, she would call it in for the other team.

One of my kids went to State with his doubles partner three years in a row. Partner was temperamental when they got screwed by a call from the opponent. On the other hand, in a match they were way up in, other team clearly double faulted on match point. He didn’t want them to end that way, so he just played the second serve. Took them four more games to win the match after that generosity.

One of my son’s doubles partners was the star athlete of their class, quarterback of the football team guy. He said he liked tennis the best because hardly anyone showed up at the meets yelling stupid stuff. However, at one place in the conference, the fans (usually only relatives of the team) would sit up in the parking lot and yell out on just about every ball our kids would hit that was within four feet of a line. Our coach would do nothing. I pulled out my phone and stood by the end line on their side and started video. My thought was to send it to the boys’ state athletic association. About a minute into that, their coach went up and yelled at them to stop. I guess he was content to cheat unless he thought they might get caught.

• Haha
Reactions: GoHawks and jctisu

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
My doubles partner was aggravating. If she had any doubt, she would call it in for the other team.

One of my kids went to State with his doubles partner three years in a row. Partner was temperamental when they got screwed by a call from the opponent. On the other hand, in a match they were way up in, other team clearly double faulted on match point. He didn’t want them to end that way, so he just played the second serve. Took them four more games to win the match after that generosity.

One of my son’s doubles partners was the star athlete of their class, quarterback of the football team guy. He said he liked tennis the best because hardly anyone showed up at the meets yelling stupid stuff. However, at one place in the conference, the fans (usually only relatives of the team) would sit up in the parking lot and yell out on just about every ball our kids would hit that was within four feet of a line. Our coach would do nothing. I pulled out my phone and stood by the end line on their side and started video. My thought was to send it to the boys’ state athletic association. About a minute into that, their coach went up and yelled at them to stop. I guess he was content to cheat unless he thought they might get caught.
Hahaha I love that story about pulling out the video and shutting them up. Good thought out of you. That’s some really cool perspective especially at the state level.

I get what you mean about doubles. I am so much of a lone wolf when it comes to tennis that I cannot play doubles. As I get much older and slow down I will switch to it probably but it’s too short of points for me. Singles is such a rush when you get into a back and forth, side to side, rally where you are both ready to fall over at the end. Only to get up and do it again lol! Tennis people are a little crazy, and I fit right into that.

Reactions: carvers4math

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
That’s awesome! You sound like me, as I didn’t start playing until I was 18. And being from a small 3A school in Iowa we didn’t have tennis, which really was unfortunate because I loved it the minute I tried it finally. Wish I would have done it years before that so I could have played at the closest 4A school to us.

I get asked to do pickelball all of the time, but I refuse simply because it is taking over the tennis world lol! In all seriousness though, what I liked about tennis is exactly what you said. Most sports you can start and at least have fun, but tennis is so hard to break through that it’s so mental to stick with it and keep working until you can hit well enough. I actually love hitting with new people so I can hopefully teach them a bit to get them to stay with it.

But yes, when all is said and done, I want to get out and hit with someone who can really play. And fortunately when I moved out to Connecticut here in 2010 I found that guy. He is a 6.0-6.5 player and basically just decided tennis as a career wasn’t going to be for him but he could have gone professional if he had wanted to.

To this day 13 years later I only hit with him because of two things: 1) He absolutely made and continues to make me better because you get to feel and see first hand what it’s like to hit with someone at that level AND 2) We never play matches. Ever. Hell we have never even played a single game. We go out for 2-3 hours and play ball after ball after ball just working on everything.

I now play at a 5.0 level simply from continuing to grind and play with this guy. And that’s the real joy of tennis. It never stops being something you work on. You don’t perfect it and are always breaking things down to build your game back up.
Wow those are some crazy close parallels to my situation. I do play some matches but 4 out of 5 times it's just to hit balls. I find you improve quite a bit more just going rally after rally. I typically serve as a warmup too so not ignoringthe serve. There's a league in Des Moines called The Greater Des Moines Tennis association I was asked if I'd like to join 1 day when hitting with a friend. Anyone have any experience?

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
What a tournament for the American Men. 4 of the final 16. Interesting quadrant at very bottom. 1 of Ben Shelton, Jj Wolf, Tommy Paul, and most likely Bautista Agut will be in the Semifinals. Hopefully 1 of the 3 Americans can best Roberto

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
What a tournament for the American Men. 4 of the final 16. Interesting quadrant at very bottom. 1 of Ben Shelton, Jj Wolf, Tommy Paul, and most likely Bautista Agut will be in the Semifinals. Hopefully 1 of the 3 Americans can best Roberto
Very fun tournament for sure. Been a long time since we’ve seen an overall tournament for the American men like this. And it doesn’t include Fritz or Tiafoe, so that’s a good sign.

Unfortunately this draw is so open now that if Djokovic isn’t lifting the trophy in straight sets in the Final I would be shocked. Although Rune has the goods to push him if he’s on.

I am just ready to turn the page to the next era, but Novak will go down as the GOAT and he’s not done yet. Hope I am wrong and someone can knock him off. Rune, Sinner, or obviously any of the Americans winning would be nice personally.

Reactions: cyfanatic

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Fear we are going to get a yawn fest in the men’s final. Djokovic easily taking this thing.

• Agree

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Fear we are going to get a yawn fest in the men’s final. Djokovic easily taking this thing.
You don't think Tsitsipas will push him? I think yes it's probably a foregone conclusion Djokovic is the champion but I expect a reasonably good final If it's those 2. He seems to always give Djokovic a battle. A Khachanov and Djokovic final would be awful

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
You don't think Tsitsipas will push him? I think yes it's probably a foregone conclusion Djokovic is the champion but I expect a reasonably good final If it's those 2. He seems to always give Djokovic a battle. A Khachanov and Djokovic final would be awful
Tsitsipas might push him, but I thought Rublev and De Minaur would too and Djokovic barely broke a sweat against those guys.

Tsistispas has had a very easy draw to the semifinals. He's only played one seeded opponent (Sinner) and went to 5 sets.

Agree that Khachanov vs Djokovic would be brutal.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Tsitsipas might push him, but I thought Rublev and De Minaur would too and Djokovic barely broke a sweat against those guys.

Tsistispas has had a very easy draw to the semifinals. He's only played one seeded opponent (Sinner) and went to 5 sets.

Agree that Khachanov vs Djokovic would be brutal.
I was disappointed with Rublev. He has weapons to challenge these guys. I guess I wasn't surprised with De Minaur he's Gilles Simon like. It's hard to beat the legends of the game waiting for mistakes.

I think Tsitsipas will give us at least something the others haven't. 4 maybe 5 sets

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Just can’t stand watching Djokovic win this. At least when the American men get as far as they have, ESPN has no choice but to show them.

Trying to count Azarenka as a remote ISU connection. If she hadn’t broken up with Redfoo, would we have the Juicy Wiggle? Also might not have it if Redfoo had been a better tennis player.

And John McEnroe, you annoy me so much. When he said Azarenka was the only major winner left in the women’s draw, how can he forget the reigning Wimbledon champ?

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
Hope Iga Swiatek's injury heals quickly enough. She's my favorite player from the women's side: she does everything correctly and I love how she incorporates mental aspect in her game by utilizing sports psychologist.
People underestimate the importance of the mental side of the game, but even at the junior levels sports psychologists and mental training are increasing in use and value.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
Wow those are some crazy close parallels to my situation. I do play some matches but 4 out of 5 times it's just to hit balls. I find you improve quite a bit more just going rally after rally. I typically serve as a warmup too so not ignoringthe serve. There's a league in Des Moines called The Greater Des Moines Tennis association I was asked if I'd like to join 1 day when hitting with a friend. Anyone have any experience?
GDMTA is great for getting match play against a wider variety of competition. If you prefer hitting, try out the Grip N Rip at Genesis. It's a bunch of adults, and the group you with same level folks. You can also hit against some of the pro's.

• Informative
Reactions: GoHawks

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
I know this is thread is about professional tennis, but the ISU women are amazing this year. Top 25 team and worth watching. Not sure how long Coach Boomer will be at ISU as he'll be HIGHLY sought after in the off season.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
It appears his hamstring is fine.
His hamstring can be at 50% and it will look fine to everyone considering the average-at-best level of players he is going against. Let's see if Paul and Tsitsipas/Khachanov can make it interesting at least.

It's super disappointing that nobody from the younger generation can take over on any consistent basis, even though they are going against grandpas Novak, Nadal, and Federer (while he was still playing). It seems as the only way these young guys will be able to "step-up" is when the big 3 is fully retired due to age or injuries.

This is probably worded a bit too harsh but oh well..