2024-2025 Recruiting Thread

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Why is it always such a secret who we are recruiting in wrestling compared to other sports? I get the limited scholarships thing but that is being discussed between athlete and other coaches anyways and wouldn't matter if being recruited is talked about on a random message board.

Reactions: MattMishler

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Why is it always such a secret who we are recruiting in wrestling compared to other sports? I get the limited scholarships thing but that is being discussed between athlete and other coaches anyways and wouldn't matter if being recruited is talked about on a random message board.
I think it is to allow kids to post/release the information themselves. Same with verbals

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I hear absolutely nothing from UNI or Schwab. Maybe guys closer to the program do, but never know who they are recruiting

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I hear absolutely nothing from UNI or Schwab. Maybe guys closer to the program do, but never know who they are recruiting
My take from talking to legit UNI fan is that they have to keep it super close to the best because they don’t have the same resources as the big boys and if it draws attention then they will get beat out. Although I would argue they quite well for themselves and are a hell of a program for what they are working with.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Coaches discussing recruits or visits is a NCAA violation. Some coaches take that seriously and some don’t.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I thi
My take from talking to legit UNI fan is that they have to keep it super close to the best because they don’t have the same resources as the big boys and if it draws attention then they will get beat out. Although I would argue they quite well for themselves and are a hell of a program for what they are working with.
I think the same goes with most programs other than PSU, Iowa, Ok State

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Personally, I appreciate the recruits who keep it to themselves as they are looking at options until they choose to commit to a school. I don't really like the football recruiting "norm" of a kid posting on social media every time he get's an offer, complete a visit or even get invited to attend a camp (which most invites are money grabs). I prefer the baseball "norm" were a kid doesn't post anything until it's an actual commitment to a school/coaches. I know a few baseball recruits do post after offers/visits but most do not and most coaches discourage this action (if the recruit asks for their opinion). The baseball coaches know who else is recruiting the kids they are going after. Personally, I think it also helps keeps fans from getting all disappointed when a prized recruit chooses a different school. I also think some top level recruits are empathetic to teammates who also want opportunities to compete in college yet they might not be getting recruited or finding opportunities to move on. I'm like anyone else I get excited about recruits but I'm not going to hammer coaches just because they miss on their top targets on a given year.

431Welch

Apr 15, 2020
Coaches are able to legally confirm when questioned if they are recruiting someone per NCAA rules. They cannot speak any further though. More coaches just like using the crutch that they can't speak period.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Personally, I appreciate the recruits who keep it to themselves as they are looking at options until they choose to commit to a school. I don't really like the football recruiting "norm" of a kid posting on social media every time he get's an offer, complete a visit or even get invited to attend a camp (which most invites are money grabs). I prefer the baseball "norm" were a kid doesn't post anything until it's an actual commitment to a school/coaches. I know a few baseball recruits do post after offers/visits but most do not and most coaches discourage this action (if the recruit asks for their opinion). The baseball coaches know who else is recruiting the kids they are going after. Personally, I think it also helps keeps fans from getting all disappointed when a prized recruit chooses a different school. I also think some top level recruits are empathetic to teammates who also want opportunities to compete in college yet they might not be getting recruited or finding opportunities to move on. I'm like anyone else I get excited about recruits but I'm not going to hammer coaches just because they miss on their top targets
To play devil's advocate a little, of course coaches would be inclined to tell a kid not to post anything. They don't want more attention drawn to a kid they want. Also, kids do this in some cases to drum up momentum to get a "bigger" offer. I don't know that there is anything wrong with that. I knew a small town Iowa kid that did this to try and help his recruitment.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
To play devil's advocate a little, of course coaches would be inclined to tell a kid not to post anything. They don't want more attention drawn to a kid they want. Also, kids do this in some cases to drum up momentum to get a "bigger" offer. I don't know that there is anything wrong with that. I knew a small town Iowa kid that did this to try and help his recruitment.
Also, if you’re Iowa State, I don’t think you’re finding too many top recruits that are unknown. Most the guys you’re targeting are in the top 100. Every coach knows who they are.

UNI is not playing in the same league, so they’re looking more for the unknown diamonds in the rough.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I get your point on drumming up bigger offers but I've also heard it directly from baseball coaches that they might use the social media posts to rule a kid out when deciding whether or not to offer any scholarship $$. I'm in agreement with Crabby that the top kids don't need this type of "advertising". Under the radar type kids would have better luck emailing or dm coaches vs social media tweets IMO. I think the biggest thing with high school kids is the ego feed...They feel special when they get more likes or re-tweets....It's the modern day popularity contest. Why else would a top 5 recruit in football tweet out the he's gotten his 112th offer from a smaller less competitive school when he's sitting on multiple P5 offers already and already verballed to one of those P5 schools.

• Agree
Reactions: crablegs and JM4CY

ISU_Cyclones

May 9, 2018
Might not be totally about Iowa state recruiting kids who are unknown, but could prevent/lessen negative recruitment against us as well if no one knows who we are recruiting.

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron