2024-25 Roster/Rotation Additions

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
There were a LOT of bad passes to her in the 2nd half of the season that ended up being a TO on Crooks that to me looked like a TO on the guard. Especially if the ill-advised pass came from Ryan it was TO Crooks. However, I do think your comment on her "attacking the pass" more is a good observation. Maybe give up a fraction of that position to get a better reception.
I'm hoping that an offseason of Ryan and Crooks being able to work together can help that. Crooks is a different kind of player than anyone Ryan has played with at ISU, and coming in midseason probably reduced their ability to have good chemistry. An offseason should be able to help.

Reactions: Acylum

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
1713995394808.png My 2 cents:
Having a good, deep bench will be amazing. I think we are going to see more balanced minutes. Like someone mentioned earlier, you can play who has the hot hand, but a couple other scenarios:
-We can be a run and gun team. Wear down the other team, kinda OU style but with better defense. Keep the pressure up with fresh legs.
-Be a stronger defensive team- more fouls to give, even though I know that isn't our style.
-Giving rest to players. Those who need healing time or not feeling the best, can get the time to rest without pressure.
-Rest part 2: stronger legs to go deeper into both tournaments.
-Time to develop. This is for all the newbies (freshman and transfers) and to the Final Four (those sophomores). Yep, I am giving them a new name and claiming it!

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
View attachment 128187 My 2 cents:
Having a good, deep bench will be amazing. I think we are going to see more balanced minutes. Like someone mentioned earlier, you can play who has the hot hand, but a couple other scenarios:
-We can be a run and gun team. Wear down the other team, kinda OU style but with better defense. Keep the pressure up with fresh legs.
-Be a stronger defensive team- more fouls to give, even though I know that isn't our style.
-Giving rest to players. Those who need healing time or not feeling the best, can get the time to rest without pressure.
-Rest part 2: stronger legs to go deeper into both tournaments.
-Time to develop. This is for all the newbies (freshman and transfers) and to the Final Four (those sophomores). Yep, I am giving them a new name and claiming it!
Fab Four now. Looking good!

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I think you need to watch how OU attacked the UT pressure D this past season and than reassess what you posted.
They had strong ball handlers. When you have Jackson turning her back to the defender on the perimeter, Joens not a good enough ball handler to drive in traffic, and Belanger only developing her drive in March, you're unable to run a motion offense. We had trouble even passing it to the wing against Texas. Once we ditched that and opted for Ryan to dribble to the wing, we started getting post entries. I'm not saying a motion offense can't work, I'm saying we don't have the physical strength or ability on the roster to handle pressure defenses. We don't cut well, show strength with the ball, or pose any threat to drive. That makes a motion offense really easy to defend. If Hare and Harris can handle defensive pressure, Ryan won't have to dribble as much to gain court territory on that side of the floor.

Last edited:
Reactions: GotHops32

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
They had strong ball handlers. When you have Jackson turning her back to the defender on the perimeter, Joens not a good enough ball handler to drive in traffic, and Belanger only developing her drive in March, you're unable to run a motion offense. We had trouble even passing it to the wing against Texas. Once we ditched that and opted for Ryan to dribble to the wing, we started getting post entries. I'm not saying a motion offense can't work, I'm saying we don't have the physical strength or ability on the roster to handle pressure defenses. We don't cut well or pose any threat to drive. That makes a motion offense really easy to defend. If Hare and Harris can handle defensive pressure, Ryan won't have to dribble as much to gain court territory on that side of the floor.
Hare is going to be a major upgrade at the 2. Hopefully Ryan is 100% healthy. With the forwards we've added and another post I believe we have 2nd weekend potential.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I'm hoping that an offseason of Ryan and Crooks being able to work together can help that. Crooks is a different kind of player than anyone Ryan has played with at ISU, and coming in midseason probably reduced their ability to have good chemistry. An offseason should be able to help.
I don't know, that chemistry looked good in March. Brown definitely had more chemistry with Crooks in Jan/Feb, but Ryan was incredible down the stretch.

Reactions: bozclone

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
As I watched the past couple of seasons, the really good teams had quality depth and could rotate players in with little or no drop off. What I’m seeing at State is the development of a deep bench where no one will have to play more than 20 min per game. That is a luxury. Wouldn’t it be nice to see Tanke getting 15-20 min and scoring 12-13 per game along with all the other guards? We are starting to gain what I call the ability to create matchup nightmares for other teams. Pick your poison.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
As I watched the past couple of seasons, the really good teams had quality depth and could rotate players in with little or no drop off. What I’m seeing at State is the development of a deep bench where no one will have to play more than 20 min per game. That is a luxury. Wouldn’t it be nice to see Tanke getting 15-20 min and scoring 12-13 per game along with all the other guards? We are starting to gain what I call the ability to create matchup nightmares for other teams. Pick your poison.
I think you mean 30 mpg, not 20.

I agree with what you're saying but Bill has historically been averse to using his bench in that manner when he has had the personnel to do so, especially in the latter part of the season, notably tourney games. He needs to change in that area IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Royalclone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If starters aren't getting more than 20 per game they're probably in the portal next year.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I don't know, that chemistry looked good in March. Brown definitely had more chemistry with Crooks in Jan/Feb, but Ryan was incredible down the stretch.
I think it was good, but in the last 5 games (Big 12 tournament and NCAA tournament), they also combined for 11, 10, 12, 8, and 12 turnovers. I'm pretty sure quite a few of those came from attempted post-entry passes. So I think there will be room to improve in the offseason, identifying the best ways to get it to Crooks in scoring position and also identifying when it shouldn't be forced.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
200 minutes per game . . . 15 schollys. Everyone plays 13:20 per game! :jimlad:

MIUf7c8.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jimr and Acylum

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
People are crazy if they think Ryan won't be getting over 30 mins a game, especially in conference play.

IMO the starters are looking for 25-30 minutes That allows for up to 5 more players getting 10 to 15 minutes. Sure some games might necessitate starters playing 30 minutes plus some games. But not every game That wears a team down physically. IMO we have gained more than we lost in the portal.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
And Brown will be over 30 and Crook and Hare will be around 30 is my entry in the the Let's Guess the Minutes 2024.
With next years roster I'm guessing we play faster. If so Crooks will need to drop some pounds to play close to 30.

Haven't seen much on Williams but that seems to be the case with Hare and Harris.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Yes…I did mean 20! If we have interchangeable players at guard which means a top notch point or two to spell Ryan, why wouldn’t you play the depth rather than running your star players over 30 minutes? Why not cap the starters at about 25 max? Isn’t that a good problem to have? Everyone's happy. And we win.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone