2024-25 Roster/Rotation Additions

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
It'll be really interesting to see how the portal changes next year. This year was the last year of the super-senior transfers (other than a few random redshirts). Of the 11 players who transferred away from ISU over the past two years, 5 were seniors looking to play their bonus year elsewhere.

Using the data here: https://www.thenexthoops.com/features/2023-24-transfer-portal-tracker-ncaa-womens-basketball/

... it appears that around 26% of the 1300 players in the portal are seniors looking to transfer for their COVID year.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
imagine game planning as an opponent. Go ahead and double Audi and leave one of our 7 40% 3 point shooters wide open
Another layer of offensive after Audi's low post or proficient 3-point shooting is powering into the basket with some of the new and existing personnel. For instance, Taulelei is impressive moving near the basket to deliver a variety of shots. I believe there are some others with strong offensive assets.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
So great job by the coach but I hate him and he won't succeed? Is that about it. Sky did not fall last year, sky did not fall this year and yet you still talk down the coach whenever you can.
Thanks for the Dumb on the post. Just was wondering what I actually said that was dumb? Or do you just not like it? Got 7 thumbs up and 1 dumb.....

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDegen

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Looking at the scholarship spreadsheet, in the Bill Fennelly era, Emily Ryan will be the 5th player to be on the team for 5 straight seasons.

Name the other four:

Bonus stats: we have had 109 Freshman, 93 Sophomores, 89 Juniors, 84 Seniors and 4 Super Seniors. Only two of the Super Seniors were here all 5 years (which obviously means the others had a Redshirt year).

1999-2004: Erica Junod
2001-2006: Britany Wilkins
2018-2023: Morgan Kane
2018-2023: Ashley Joens
2020-2025: Emily Ryan

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Really no reason not to look for a practice type player at the post. With injuries it pays to have someone that can just give you 5 fouls and so.e rebounds.

The energy you spend looking isn't worth it

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
It would be great to find a VB super senior who could play defense, rebound, and give us 5 more fouls underneath.
Already have 15 fouls with Audi, Taulelei & Williams at the 5. Nobody else is needed.

If Williams and/or Taulelei can effectively play the 4 with Audi for extended minutes, that will provide Bill another lineup option with added length/size to use vs certain matchups and significantly raise the ceiling of what this roster can accomplish next season.

The depth will be an asset that Bill hasn't had like this since the early 2000s and hopefully he can max out the usage of it. That has been a question mark with him in the past.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Already have 15 fouls with Audi, Taulelei & Williams at the 5. Nobody else is needed.

If Williams and/or Taulelei can effectively play the 4 with Audi for extended minutes, that will provide Bill another lineup option with added length/size to use vs certain matchups and significantly raise the ceiling of what this roster can accomplish next season.

The depth will be an asset that Bill hasn't had like this since the early 2000s and hopefully he can max out the usage of it. That has been a question mark with him in the past.
I think people are reading too much into Williams comment about guarding the 5. She isn't a 5 and I doubt she does it much if any next year. Basically she was the tallest person on the scout team and got the job by default.

Crooks being labeled as 5 fouls is also concerning.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I think people are reading too much into Williams comment about guarding the 5. She isn't a 5 and I doubt she does it much if any next year. Basically she was the tallest person on the scout team and got the job by default.

I don't think any of us can confidently say what Williams is or isn't. But given that they also have men on the scout team, I doubt that she was playing the 5 completely by default.

She's listed at 6'2", same as Diew. Looking at Diew's three years, I think you could make an argument that her best minutes came playing as a small-ball 5. We don't know anything more about Williams, but it's at least possible that she could be the same way. It could be a nice change of pace vs. when Audi is on the court, going from one of the best players in the post in the country to someone who has more perimeter skills.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't think any of us can confidently say what Williams is or isn't. But given that they also have men on the scout team, I doubt that she was playing the 5 completely by default.

She's listed at 6'2", same as Diew. Looking at Diew's three years, I think you could make an argument that her best minutes came playing as a small-ball 5. We don't know anything more about Williams, but it's at least possible that she could be the same way. It could be a nice change of pace vs. when Audi is on the court, going from one of the best players in the post in the country to someone who has more perimeter skills.
That makes sense.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

Williams certainly has the height/bulk to defend 5s and she was trained at the 5 this past season so dismissing her now as a possibility to play there some next season is wrong.

And last I checked, Audi has a 5 foul limit like everyone else. She wasn't foul prone last season last season but there were times her lack of defensive mobility was an issue vs certain matchups and hopefully Bill can effectively utilize Williams or Taulelei instead for defensive purposes only where required.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Williams certainly has the height/bulk to defend 5s and she was trained at the 5 this past season so dismissing her now as a possibility to play there some next season is wrong.

And last I checked, Audi has a 5 foul limit like everyone else. She wasn't foul prone last season last season but there were times her lack of defensive mobility was an issue vs certain matchups and hopefully Bill can effectively utilize Williams or Taulelei instead for defensive purposes only where required.
So you think having Audi guard someone other than the post would save her fouls?

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana

What highlights I found of Williams at LSU showed her playing in the post. LSU played like KM's teams at Baylor. Three guards and two tall post players near the paint. Williams was playing one of those two post positions. She looked long and physical. She looked like primarily a 5 in our offense unless she has become more comfortable away from the basket during her redshirt year. It is possible that BF may choose to play two posts at times this year with the depth he now has.

Last edited:

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013

I don’t really know how Title IX works, but CBF has said in the past that scholarships are there to be used. And depth at post is valuable. We don’t see too many double post teams anymore like the Paris twins, but if we have options to take us further in the NCAA, that is why coaches recruit (or used to, pre-portal) for injuries and foul situations.

Westside clone

Apr 5, 2022

I think the team that has been assembled has the possibility to be one of the best ever. Several ball handlers, great potential to shoot the three. Even some prospects for midrange scoring, and AUDI. Defensively we look pretty athletic it will just come done to the desire to be a great defense. All that being said, looking for someone similar to Natabou, would be worthwhile. Without getting crazy, looking doesn't hurt. Playing defense against 6'4" through 6'7" post players is no picnic. It's not about fouls to give, it is about playing enough defense and rebounding to keep them from having a lights out night against us. Audi did really well against that kind of size but a couple of foul calls and we need some height with defensive skills. Again, just a wish, how you would manage playing time is beyond me. Two 5 player squads would almost be a must.

Last edited:
Reactions: StClone