2024 Des Moines deli face off

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I went on a 3 month long mission to find my favorite sandwich in Des Moines. See results

South Union

This used to be my go-to back in the days, when it was located across the street from Mr. Filet…..oh I miss Mr. Filet. I got the Hot Italian, and it was as good as I remember. Solid meat and great bread. I don’t normally get mayo on my sandwich but I think it was necessary on this sandwich. Presentation was a little janky. The regular size is big enough to fill you up.

91/100
SouthUnion~2.jpg

Ham, roast beef, capicola, turkey, pepperoni, mozzarella, lettuce, mayo on focaccia

B&B

A LOT of choices at B&B but I wanted to stick with the basics. I ordered a Zach’s Killer. Bread was fresh and it has a lot of meat. It was a solid sandwich, but nothing I would seek out. Everyone was very friendly and I’d like to try out some of their other options in the future.

86/100
BnB~2.png

spicy cappicola, hard salami, italian roast beef, sandwich pepperoni, provolone, mozzarella, pepper cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sweet and banana peppers and tuscan italian dressing on an italian hoagie roll.

Taste of Italy

Non-Profit ½. This place was a lot like B&B. Very friendly staff and solid sandwich. Not sure I would drive across town for one.

86/100
TasteofItaly~2.png

capicola, hard salami, turkey, roast beef, prosciutto, fontina,

Palmers

I eat here all the time, so I’ve basically had every sandwich they make. The Cowboy is probably my favorite, but I thought it would be better to rate the Beef Eater. The meat is very good, the ciabatta bun was average, and the cream cheese adds a little to the sandwich. Pretty solid sandwich

87/100
Palmers~2.jpg

Roast beef, pastrami, cream cheese on ciabatta, steamed.

Graziano Brothers

Knuckle sandwich. Meat was good, bread was just ok. Just a touch of spice, which I liked.

88/100
Graz~2.jpg

Coppa, Hot Soppressata, Pepperoni, Hot Pepper Cheese, Sliced Pepperoncini, Italian Dressing

Manhattan Deli

The Louie-Looking back, it’s probably not fair to compare this sandwich with the others, it’s covered in marinara sauce, how could it be bad. Bread uninspiring, the rest of the sandwich, amazeballs.

93/100
Manhattan Deli~2.jpg

Capicola, Pepperoni, Hot Pepper Cheese, Roast Beef, Provolone, Manhattan Seasoning, Parmesan and made-in-Des Moines Mama Rosa's Red Sauce, Mayo, Onion & Green Pepper.

Maccabee's Deli.

Pastrami on Rye. Meat was the best I ever had. Next time I'd try a different bread, which was soft but boring.

95/100
Maccabee_1 (1).png

Pastrami

Maccabee's Deli. Part 2

After that first one, I had to go back and try another. This one was also amazing. Great meat(salami), deli mustard, and I liked the bread better.

92/100
Maccabee_2~2.jpg

Salami

Overall thoughts/discoveries.

All of these places were all-stars in my eyes, and I plan on visiting them all again in the future.

It’s hard for me to find bread better than the focaccia that I had at South Union.

In the end, I think there are two co-MVP’s. Manhattan and Maccabee's are the two places in the metro that had my favorite sandwiches.

Attachments

• BnB~2.png
    BnB~2.png
    487.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Is Maccabees the Jewish deli? Been meaning to give them a try

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
This is the kind of hard hitting info I come to CF for. My only concern is its only April and between this and the Dumbest Thing You Dealt With Thread, are we peaking too early this offseason?
We haven't even begun to peak.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
@dmclone Thank you for taking the time to do this research for CF. Our taste buds thank you though our waistlines won't. Didn't look there was a bad one in the bunch.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The Louie looks amazing and the marinara sauce on it puts it over the top. That mountain of pastrami on rye has me drooling!! :)

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Living in Jersey where there is a solid deli on every other streetcorner, I opened this thread fully prepared to ridicule. However, the pics look very good indeed. Nice work DSM.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Out here in the boonies Subway is the only option, sadly. I appreciate the reviews and awesome pictures but my day has been ruined.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Great work. Now do best tenderloin sandwich.
Had Smitty's yesterday and it seems they've upgraded a bit. Loin was a bit thicker than I remember. Solid sandwich on.par with Prairie City.

Now or Later on university east of the fairgrounds might be the best I've ever had.

Reactions: dawgpound