MLB: 2024 Field of Dreams Game To Be Played... In Birmingham?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Rickwood Field is awesome! I went to games there as a kid to see the Birmingham Barons. Filmed the movie Cobb there IIRC. Must agree though, that it should have it's own name instead of Field of Dreams.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Yeah, great site and great idea, but call it something else. That's just going to p*ss a lot of people off.

If you get pissed at calling it the field of dreams then you must wipe with gold leaf toilet paper because you aint got no worries. Who cares.

• Agree
Reactions: pourcyne

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Iowa doesn't have much. The Field of Dreams is something we have, it's recognized globally. Calling a ballpark in Alabama the Field of Dreams is just stupid IMO.

Whats Alabama got? The Gulf Shores? Call it the Gulf Shores Classic.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I really like the idea of the game celebrating a part of the game’s history. Calling it the Field of Dreams Game when it isn’t at the actual Field of Dreams seems like a really bad decision. Call it something that actually represents the game and location it is played at.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I really like the idea of the game celebrating a part of the game’s history. Calling it the Field of Dreams Game when it isn’t at the actual Field of Dreams seems like a really bad decision. Call it something that actually represents the game and location it is played at.
Ok, it's a movie not a celebration of a historical event. Still should find another name.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
Ok, it's a movie not a celebration of a historical event. Still should find another name.
I was referring to the game being played in Alabama where there were many great players on the team not the movie site. Actually naming the game after a movie when you could honor someone like Willy Mays or Satchel Paige feels wrong to me.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I was referring to the game being played in Alabama where there were many great players on the team not the movie site. Actually naming the game after a movie when you could honor someone like Willy Mays or Satchel Paige feels wrong to me.
Willie Mays was born in Birmingham (Westfield), AL and played at Rickwood Field. 'Twould be a GREAT idea to call it the Willie Mays Classic!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Agree. Field of Dreams is a great movie and site, but given that it was pro players from the 1920s, there weren't any African-American players. So to stage a game at such a significant stadium in the history of the Negro Leagues and call it the "Field of Dreams" is just wrong.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014

This kinda pisses me off. I don't have an issue with a game being played somewhere else, but the Field of Dreams is IN IOWA!
Mind you there is absolutely no guarantee that game will ever happen again in Dyersville even with the permanent seating being put in place as we speak. Do I think it’s dumb naming a game after the Field of Dreams when it isn’t there, absolutely! So MLB is using the name as a marketing tool, well played.

My family and I will be there for a 4 day tournament starting Thursday for the 11u age group. Sounds like home run derby and other skill competitions will be held at the movie site along with the championship game. All other games will be held in town. I’ll obviously know more after this week but it sounds like they are building a hotel/resort/RV park and 9 youth ball fields near the area. I really don’t know if MLB will have an interest anymore especially with seating of 8000. To put a cherry on top it’s not like Iowa even has a MLB team so they can just run with the name.

Point being $ rules everything and can ruin it as well. See the current situation of college athletics being ruled by the SEC and B1G. I really wish we never had Beebe as a commissioner because I will always believe that the Big 12 was the best conference prior to 2010. The SEC has gutted our conference since……

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Agree. Field of Dreams is a great movie and site, but given that it was pro players from the 1920s, there weren't any African-American players. So to stage a game at such a significant stadium in the history of the Negro Leagues and call it the "Field of Dreams" is just wrong.
Sometimes, people say things that make one think a little deeper about things.

Well said.

Last edited: