Never been there but I don't venture up to Ankeny very often

The picture doesn't look like anything special but good for them

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
13 burgers a day before being named top 10?

What the hell was keeping them afloat?
From their menu, it appears that burgers aren't necessarily their main focus

cyclone618

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 2, 2011
Ankeny
I’ve been to JJ’s 4 times in the 5 months they’ve been open. On our first visit, the owners came up to us just to check and converse. I did have a burger the first time and it was awesome. But they have much more than just their burgers. I would classify it as an upscale bar and grill. It’s not very big and it has been busier since they were in the top 10 - now it’s going to be packed all the time. The previous restaurant in this spot (Tavern 180) was decent but we didn’t go there much - maybe twice in 6 years.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m sorry, but shouldn’t they consider businesses that have been open for at least a year to make sure they aren’t just being their launching pad for them? Of course them have only sold a few burgers up to this because they were only open for a short time before.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I’m sorry, but shouldn’t they consider businesses that have been open for at least a year to make sure they aren’t just being their launching pad for them? Of course them have only sold a few burgers up to this because they were only open for a short time before.
I kind of feel the same way. I'm not saying some brand new place can't be deserving of the award. This DOES look like a great burger. But I'd rather see some established business earn this over time, I guess.

CycloneEggie

Oct 28, 2011
Is this the former Zombie Burger location? You know you've run your course when you have to stoop to an Ankeny strip mall.

Its in a strip mall, but not the same as Zombie Burger Location, its near Aldi at 18th St. and Ankeny Blvd, just north of 18th. The Zombie Burger place is a Greek Food place.

JJ's is great, my wife and I go for Happy Hour and the Burger is on happy hour price before 5 pm. The best thing at JJ's is the Mules though. They are cheap at Happy Hour, Strong and super tasty.

I hear they are getting busy because of the best burger, but going before 5 pm the place isn't too busy and has great food and drinks.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Its in a strip mall, but not the same as Zombie Burger Location, its near Aldi at 18th St. and Ankeny Blvd, just north of 18th. The Zombie Burger place is a Greek Food place.

JJ's is great, my wife and I go for Happy Hour and the Burger is on happy hour price before 5 pm. The best thing at JJ's is the Mules though. They are cheap at Happy Hour, Strong and super tasty.

I hear they are getting busy because of the best burger, but going before 5 pm the place isn't too busy and has great food and drinks.
Hope they make it. Ankeny needs some choices on the north side but that location hasn't screamed success to any of the previous tenants (Tavern 180, Tanners).

CycloneEggie

Oct 28, 2011
Hope they make it. Ankeny needs some choices on the north side but that location hasn't screamed success to any of the previous tenants (Tavern 180, Tanners).
Agree. This is walkable from where we live. We've sometimes walked and ordered that extra mule and walked back. Its become a favorite of ours and they seem to be doing well.