2024 Mens CBB Coaching Carousel

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I’m I’m BYU I think I can almost upgrade with my next coach. Pope was fine, but wasn’t setting the world on fire.

A notable note: Few coaches have set the world on fire at BYU in the past 50+ seasons.

One Elite 8 in '81 (Frank Arnold, with the "Danny Ainge team") and a Sweet 16 in '11 (Dave Rose)

Last edited:

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009

According to this DN story BYU may be more interested in the next coaches religious background than his ability to coach basketball. …. Must be nice not to worry about things like NIL.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Pretty wild to hire a guy with no ncaa wins.

Nothing says a blue blood status is forever. Ask Indiana. Ask Minnesota, Army and Nebraska in football.
This guy just got a huge promotion after being upset in the tournament by one of the worst teams in the tournament so he will fit in just fine at UK

NYCYFan

Mar 18, 2024
Imagine Kentucky hiring a coach that has never won an NCAA tournament game when this process started? Wild

Maybe Pope will be a good coach for all we know but this makes me smile after reading all the smugness from the Kentucky fans on their message board thinking there was no way Hurley was turning them down, completely crapping on the Drew possibility etc. Good to see them served some humble pie.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
I don’t think some of y’all appreciate how impressive it is that he took a mid major into the nation's toughest conference, and won 10 games the first season.

I get that Kentucky wanted someone with a flashier name, but Pope can coach, and is a former Wildcat on top of that. They could have done way worse with the hire.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I’m I’m BYU I think I can almost upgrade with my next coach. Pope was fine, but wasn’t setting the world on fire.
BYU is not an easy job. Pope is a very good offensive coach and did pretty well there considering their limitations.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I don’t think some of y’all appreciate how impressive it is that he took a mid major into the nation's toughest conference, and won 10 games the first season.

I get that Kentucky wanted someone with a flashier name, but Pope can coach, and is a former Wildcat on top of that. They could have done way worse with the hire.
There is also something to a coach really wanting a job and knowing the culture there. Sounds like donors and fans didn't like Cal and NIL suffered because of that, Pope will fix that issue. I don't know if he will succeed there but I think he has a shot to.

NYCYFan

Mar 18, 2024

For sure, Pope did a good job at a tough place to win. I just find it funny that Kentucky fans expected Hurley, dumped all over Drew and ended up with Pope.

Honestly, getting the less glamorous name might be a blessing in disguise for that program but, as of now, I'm laughing at the Kentucky fanbase.

Reactions: PickSix

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
You have to remember that a big portion of the college basketball community still views Kentucky as one of the top 1-4 jobs in all of college basketball. While it hasn't won a ton in the post season of late, it still holds most records related to winning (# of wins, winning %, etc) so there are very high standards. While Pope may be a good coach, it has to feel like a kick in the nuts to Kentucky fans that expected the top coaches in the country to be fighting for the job.

I was thinking last night, I'm actually surprised Cronin didn't ever come up as a possibility. I don't know what his buyout is, but he seems like a good cultural/personality fit at Kentucky. He hasn't set the world on fire at UCLA, but I think Kentucky has been a lot more attractive to athletes over the past 10 years.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY