2024 Mens CBB Coaching Carousel

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
As gross as it sounds would you rather have Calipari or Pearl?

Pearl probably gets more out of his players than Cal.

Cal seems to be in a bit of a mid/late-life crisis professionally. Probably bored with his current job...or at least not as excited as he used to be about that particular job. Didn't want to quit because he might never get an opportunity like that again...when offered one last chance to start over...it probably feels good to him! Although...it also could result in 1 year from now a guy who just "retires"...realizes he doesn't have it in him anymore. Regardless, it will be interesting to watch play out.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Cal seems to be in a bit of a mid/late-life crisis professionally. Probably bored with his current job...or at least not as excited as he used to be about that particular job. Didn't want to quit because he might never get an opportunity like that again...when offered one last chance to start over...it probably feels good to him! Although...it also could result in 1 year from now a guy who just "retires"...realizes he doesn't have it in him anymore. Regardless, it will be interesting to watch play out.
I think he'll win there. He just needs to adjust how he does things. Take a few of those scholarships he used on HS players and sign transfers instead and instantly he will be a lot better. Arkansas has tons of cash and Cal with have top 10 recruits coming in. Probably a good move for both schools.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
If your UK don't they have to ask Danny Hurley if there's interest? Maybe he's and east coast guy and feels he can thrive at UConn. But the NCAA is evolving so he'll have to evaluate that piece.

Drew makes a lot of sense because he's still young and has had tons of success at Baylor. And UK might get him closer to his Indiana roots (if that's important).

Oats is a natural, he's young, runs an uptempo style that is appealing to elite players.

Tommy Lloyd would be similar of Oats in age/style.

Brad Stevens might be a reach. But he's young and maybe in the NIL/transfer era running UK's program will be a bit like an NBA front office guy.

Brad Stevens a reach? The guy CHOSE to move from being the Celtics head coach to being their GM? I think there’s a better chance that *I* accept the job.

• Haha
Reactions: DSMCy and JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Brad Stevens a reach? The guy CHOSE to move from being the Celtics head coach to being their GM? I think there’s a better chance that *I* accept the job.
I'd assume Celtics GM is about as good as it gets in the basketball world.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I don't understand Kentucky fans. After the Oakland loss they were calling to fire Cal. Now that Cal left many of them are complaining about him quitting on UK and betraying them. I would've expected them to throw a parade. Would be funny if they pull a Louisville and were just awful for a few years.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I don't understand Kentucky fans. After the Oakland loss they were calling to fire Cal. Now that Cal left many of them are complaining about him quitting on UK and betraying them. I would've expected them to throw a parade. Would be funny if they pull a Louisville and were just awful for a few years.
A lot of Kentucky fans are pretty happy from what I can see

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Iowa State fans didn’t seem too upset when McD left for Creighton.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Smart. Make a boat load at Bama and not have to deal with the insane UK expectations.
Heard on radio Bama's AD was in the AD at Kentucky years ago so he can probably give a perspective of UK expectations.
Also, the AD did a decent job of sticking by Oats after the murder situation, when other ADs might have gotten more involved.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The fact that Arkansas got Cal means no way Tang was ever approached lol

Probably. Or maybe Cal's agent reached out while they were in discussions with Tang (those rumors from the people they did don't come from nowhere) and they moved in the Cal direction.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Just saw news about Indiana State coach leaving. Top 2 teams in valley lose their coaches and their rosters implode because of it. Valley is truly up for grabs. :)

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY