***2024 Minnesota Vikings***

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Or just run the football and play defense lol.

Seriously though, what if a team just decided to to pay minimum on skill players but went all in on a nasty defense and the best Oline ever assembled? One dimensional for sure... but if you don't punt you only need 2.5 yards per play.

Or zero skill players, just all linemen, tight ends, and full backs. And then you just ran the tush push, with some misdirection tush and some play action push. Just turn your offense into a rugby scrum... spend the other 90% of your cap on defense.
odontknowwhether-to-laugh-or-shake-my-head-memes-com-13878936.png

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Both. But many people get carried away with physical attributes at the QB position. Just because a QB may be fast/mobile with a strong arm does not mean they will be successful in the NFL. Successful QB's in the NFL know how to read defensive coverage, identify the coverage at the line of scrimmage/right after the snap, understand route concepts. throw the ball on time, and accurate enough to allow the receiver to make a play after he catches the ball. Most of those attributes are not physical attributes
Which team a QB goes to matters a lot also. You could be extremely talented and go to the wrong team and your career is over after just a few years.

Drafting QBs is tough nowadays. There are more 1st round busts than there are QBs that become a success. I really hope the Vikings draft the right guy and do a good job developing him. That QB will have some excellent weapons to throw to.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Which team a QB goes to matters a lot also. You could be extremely talented and go to the wrong team and your career is over after just a few years.

Drafting QBs is tough nowadays. There are more 1st round busts than there are QBs that become a success. I really hope the Vikings draft the right guy and do a good job developing him. That QB will have some excellent weapons to throw to.
Completely agree. Which I think is the main reason why New England is willing to trade and not draft a QB. They realize they need to build talent around the QB first. If you select a QB with no skill players to support the QB, you are setting your team up for failure (see Carolina Panthers)

The Vikings have a future HOF receiver, a second year receiver who had a great rookie season, a pro bowl tight end, and a former NFL QB as a head coach who has a great system in place. Any rookie QB would love to come to the Vikings right now vs say the Commanders

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Listening to PA's show from yesterday with Goessling and PA brought up a good point about Penix. Since he's left handed does that mean you shift your tackles? Otherwise, O'Neil would be the new "left" tackle and Darrisaw wouldn't be able to push for LT money with his new contract.

Goessling said there is precedent with McDaniels in Miami with Tua. But also said that KOC likes things a certain way so would he want to mess with things in that manner?

Thought it was an interesting point.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Was he the one that people questioned whether he really wanted to play pro football?
You might be thinking of the hok we drafted fairly high then quit during fall camp. Ballard maybe. Christian Ballard?

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
First you need patience…….to allow the player to fall to you. A player never falls and becomes a cheap add if you pay through the nose in draft picks to acquire them. JJ McCarthy is not a bargain if he costs 3 first rounders.

I agree, I hope they don't trade up too far for McCarthy.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
I think we're all traumatized from past Vikings' drafts. For every Randy Moss, Adrian Peterson or Justin Jefferson there's a plethera of Christian Ponders or Troy Williamsons.

And you could argue Moss, Peterson and Jefferson fell into their laps so it isn't like they did anything special to acquire them.
And does my memory recall that the Vikes once drafted a PUNTER?!? Talk about trauma!

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Not really sure what I want to have happen.

But what I do know is...

I don't want to end up in a situation where Penix is the future

I don't want to have to trade UP to get McCarthy or especially Maye

I am ok with McCarthy but cringe at the draft capital, considering it seems to me like he is a 2nd-3rd round actual value. If the market demands it though, you absolutely take him at 11.

Reactions: somecyguy

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
McCarthy is a 2nd round pick, in my opinion. Vikings might take him in the first round and use more picks to trade up for him. I think they would be smart to stay at 11 and if Penix is there, take him instead. Otherwise, take the best available (especially defense). So many of these teams are bound and determined to take a QB even if they aren't good.

Help Support Us

Become a patron