***2024 Minnesota Vikings***

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
And when Maye or JJ are a bust we don’t have the the Pro Bowl DT and Edge we gave up. Mortgaged the whole future for an illusion. The teams that actually win the QB war are those who had a QB drop in value making them a bargain to acquire.

Brady and Purdy were late round picks. Look at all the first round busts.
To be fair though, there are far more late round draft busts than first round draft busts. Brady and Purdy are exceptions. There will always be exceptions when trying to evaluate talent. There's also no guarantee the DT or Edge (or any other position) will be a pro bowl player. In 2015 the Vikings selected Trae Waynes #11 overall, a CB from Michigan State. That's probably an exception! Point being, nobody knows how a player will pan out when you draft them

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: cyfan92

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
To be fair though, there are far more late round draft busts than first round draft busts. Brady and Purdy are exceptions. There will always be exceptions when trying to evaluate talent. There's also no guarantee the DT or Edge (or any other position) will be a pro bowl player. In 2015 the Vikings selected Trae Waynes #11 overall, a CB from Michigan State.

Late round draft bust? Late round………means the cost was minimal. First round is High cost. Packaging multiple 1st round picks to get just the 4th best QB is too high. Sit tight at #11. Darnold is starting this next year. He was the 3rd overall pick in 2018. JJ or Maye slide then get them. If not the take Bryan Murphy DT from Texas.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Late round draft bust? Late round………means the cost was minimal. First round is High cost. Packaging multiple 1st round picks to get just the 4th best QB is too high. Sit tight at #11. Darnold is starting this next year. He was the 3rd overall pick in 2018. JJ or Maye slide then get them. If not the take Bryan Murphy DT from Texas.
But Sam Darnold hasn’t been a pro bowl player, and he was third overall. He will be playing for his fourth team in 7 years. Seems like he was a “bust”

Could Darnold be successful as a Viking? Possibly. But it is odd a 3rd overall pick has been bounced around from one team to another. If he was the “franchise” qb, he would had found a home by now. Meaning Darnold likely isn’t your long term solution. The QB class this year is considered to be strong. Now is the time to get your QB for the future. They have the draft capital to move up to get their franchise QB. The QB class is strong. Everything is aligning to get your QB now.

And you generally won’t find your franchise QB late in the draft.

• Winner
Reactions: Foosballa

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
But Sam Darnold hasn’t been a pro bowl player, and he was third overall. He will be playing for his fourth team in 7 years. Seems like he was a “bust”

Could Darnold be successful as a Viking? Possibly. But it is odd a 3rd overall pick has been bounced around from one team to another. If he was the “franchise” qb, he would had found a home by now. Meaning Darnold likely isn’t your long term solution. The QB class this year is considered to be strong. Now is the time to get your QB for the future. They have the draft capital to move up to get their franchise QB. The QB class is strong. Everything is aligning to get your QB now.

And you generally won’t find your franchise QB late in the draft.

JJ and Maye have a possibility of being just like Darnold….or Zach Wilson. Trey Lance. All thought to be franchise QB’s. Exactly like what is thought about JJ or Maye. Personally, I would stand pat. Take Murphy at DT if a top QB does not fall. Can get a Penix or Nix who may be even better than JJ or Maye. Along with potential studs.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
JJ and Maye have a possibility of being just like Darnold….or Zach Wilson. Trey Lance. All thought to be franchise QB’s. Exactly like what is thought about JJ or Maye. Personally, I would stand pat. Take Murphy at DT if a top QB does not fall. Can get a Penix or Nix who may be even better than JJ or Maye. Along with potential studs.
So you want to keep finding a different QB each year, QB’s that nobody else wants.

You got to swing for the fences when you are up to bat. Could you swing and miss? Sure. But you could also connect and find your QB for the next 15 years.

Vikings don’t get to be in this position very often. Swing for the fences

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So you want to keep finding a different QB each year, QB’s that nobody else wants.

You got to swing for the fences when you are up to bat. Could you swing and miss? Sure. But you could also connect and find your QB for the next 15 years.

Vikings don’t get to be in this position very often. Swing for the fences

I refuse to pay the 3 first round picks to move up. IMO there is no guarantee that JJ or Maye are even better. Some of the knock on Nix and Penix is their age. 23 and 24 years old. The lack of experience of JJ and Maye is more troubling to me. Probably take an extra year or two to develop. And in all cases, if the QB works out then you have the big contract coming in 5 years. No guarantee of 15 years.

DT they can put put pressure is probably biggest need IMO. And Penix talent level is elite. His past injury history is the reason he is downgrade. Nix would thrive with all the Vikings weapons.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
go back and watch his college highlights. They are littered with Mike Evans catching 50/50 balls.
As a Fr and Soph he threw 45 TDs to players other than Mike Evans. Obviously Evans was a huge part of his success, but all these guys have great players around them that are usually dominant vs. the competition most week. Hell, the question about Jefferson coming into the draft was whether or not he could adjust to being the man on the outside, when he had the luxury of being the #2 to Chase in college and do a lot of damage from the slot. The greatest WR on the planet was the number two at LSU.

I just don't think using Manziel as a comp for anybody is useful, because he was such a headcase. Reading some of the old stories just chronicling daily things, and it seems pretty clear the guy had no shot to succeed based on what was between the ears. The guy made Kyler Murray look like the model of modesty and preparation. The guy had massive delusions of grandeur, and he was destined to fail no matter what his physical attributes or play on the field.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I refuse to pay the 3 first round picks to move up. IMO there is no guarantee that JJ or Maye are even better. Some of the knock on Nix and Penix is their age. 23 and 24 years old. The lack of experience of JJ and Maye is more troubling to me. Probably take an extra year or two to develop. And in all cases, if the QB works out then you have the big contract coming in 5 years. No guarantee of 15 years.

DT they can put put pressure is probably biggest need IMO. And Penix talent level is elite. His past injury history is the reason he is downgrade. Nix would thrive with all the Vikings weapons.
Obviously, if the Vikings can get the QB they want at 11, there's no need to trade up. But I don't think that will be the case. And Penix's injury history is a huge concern to teams. Like I said, I like Penix. But if you're not durable in college, I don't know how much more durable you will be in the NFL where the DL/LB's are much bigger. faster, stronger. If you sit at 11 and Penix is on the board, the Vikings will be taking as big of a risk, if not more, than trading up.

And what if JJ or Maye pan out to be a franchise QB? Vikings had the draft capital to go up and get them. It would haunt Vikings fans for years knowing they had the perfect opportunity to go up and get a great QB

Edit: Does anyone remember what KC traded away to move up to draft Mahomes? If you find your QB, nobody will care what you gave up

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I've felt that way since his first draft. Trading down 20 spots in the first round, with a division rival, and NOT getting the next year's first round pick as return was a disaster. Especially when the Lions GM in his presser after said they were fully prepared to give up the next year's first rounder and were shocked when the Vikings said they didn't want it. Adding insult to injury, by doing so, they passed on Kyle Hamilton and end up with Lewis Cine. Ugh, still makes me mad!
Going by that draft pick trade matrix thingy they actually got decent value for those two trades. The problem is that thing takes nothing else into consideration and is so myopic it’s basically worthless. I hated both moves when they happened and still did after I saw the numbers from the matrix.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Obviously, if the Vikings can get the QB they want at 11, there's no need to trade up. But I don't think that will be the case. And Penix's injury history is a huge concern to teams. Like I said, I like Penix. But if you're not durable in college, I don't know how much more durable you will be in the NFL where the DL/LB's are much bigger. faster, stronger. If you sit at 11 and Penix is on the board, the Vikings will be taking as big of a risk, if not more, than trading up.

Played the last 2 years injury free at Washington. 4 years of injury at Indiana. Bad team. Risked his body constantly. And came back from all those injuries and recovered. 4.46 seconds in the 40. And has a bazooka for an arm. Best in the draft.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Going by that draft pick trade matrix thingy they actually got decent value for those two trades. The problem is that thing takes nothing else into consideration and is so myopic it’s basically worthless. I hated both moves when they happened and still did after I saw the numbers from the matrix.
At the end of the day, you still have to actually pick NFL caliber players with the picks you have or get. MIN has struggled tremendously with that, apart from a few WRs, since... 2015 or so? Picks are just ordered numbers. The value is in the players.

• Agree

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Played the last 2 years injury free at Washington. 4 years of injury at Indiana. Bad team. Risked his body constantly. And came back from all those injuries and recovered. 4.46 seconds in the 40. And has a bazooka for an arm. Best in the draft.
Did you watch the Michigan game? He took a beating and was no where near effective

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
That describes, like, every team UM played against.
True. But he doesn't absorb hits very well. Watch Purdy. He will turn his body around to protect himself when he knows a big hit is coming. Penix can stand in the pocket well, but he exposes himself a lot.

I will also say that I value a football IQ far more than physical attributes for a QB. Give me a QB who can read a defense, throw the ball on time and on target more than a QB with raw athletic skills who is a one read QB.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Still don't understand the amount of hate Kwesi gets. His first draft was bad, without a doubt. I'm still hopeful Ty Chandler becomes the RB of the future and Ingram keeps improving at guard, but it is bleak other than that. Last years was better with Addison, Blackmon, and Roy. However, he has done a pretty dang good job setting us up salary cap wise for 2025 to be aggressive in FA, I still like the TJ Hockenson trade, he cut bait with Dalvin at the right time, made the KOC hire and worked with KOC to convince Bflo to come to Minnesota. Signing Metellus when he did looks to be a pretty good signing, I like his approach with giving guys 1 year prove-it deals. The culture in Minnesota is completely different with him and KOC in charge. If he misses on this QB and another bust of a draft overall, sure his seat should be very hot. But he hasn't been a god-awful GM that a lot of Vikings fans make him out to be.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Still don't understand the amount of hate Kwesi gets. His first draft was bad, without a doubt. I'm still hopeful Ty Chandler becomes the RB of the future and Ingram keeps improving at guard, but it is bleak other than that. Last years was better with Addison, Blackmon, and Roy. However, he has done a pretty dang good job setting us up salary cap wise for 2025 to be aggressive in FA, I still like the TJ Hockenson trade, he cut bait with Dalvin at the right time, made the KOC hire and worked with KOC to convince Bflo to come to Minnesota. Signing Metellus when he did looks to be a pretty good signing, I like his approach with giving guys 1 year prove-it deals. The culture in Minnesota is completely different with him and KOC in charge. If he misses on this QB and another bust of a draft overall, sure his seat should be very hot. But he hasn't been a god-awful GM that a lot of Vikings fans make him out to be.
It all depends on what you value your GM doing. If you wanted to win a SB by now and that's your standard for roster building, then no, Kwesi isn't for you. If you value future planning and steady repairs of MIN's cap situation, then Kwesi is absolutely your guy. Our books haven't looked this good in years in terms of long term flexibility.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
It all depends on what you value your GM doing. If you wanted to win a SB by now and that's your standard for roster building, then no, Kwesi isn't for you. If you value future planning and steady repairs of MIN's cap situation, then Kwesi is absolutely your guy. Our books haven't looked this good in years in terms of long term flexibility.
In my mind, he's building to really make a run on the rookie QB contract. The roster building will come through FA moreso than the draft it appears, but the rookie QB contract will really help with that and then rely on KOC and Bflo to coach them into a super bowl window. The team was just never getting there with Kirk, might as well try something different

• Agree
Reactions: clonehenge

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
The Kwesi era has been poor to say the least. He needs to kill it this year.... to justify keeping
I've felt that way since his first draft. Trading down 20 spots in the first round, with a division rival, and NOT getting the next year's first round pick as return was a disaster. Especially when the Lions GM in his presser after said they were fully prepared to give up the next year's first rounder and were shocked when the Vikings said they didn't want it. Adding insult to injury, by doing so, they passed on Kyle Hamilton and end up with Lewis Cine. Ugh, still makes me mad!
And then he traded down again, allowing another division rival to move up for Christian Watson. His first 3 draft picks (Cine, the Clemson CB, Ingram) are probably all busts.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
And when Maye or JJ are a bust we don’t have the the Pro Bowl DT and Edge we gave up. Mortgaged the whole future for an illusion. The teams that actually win the QB war are those who had a QB drop in value making them a bargain to acquire.

Brady and Purdy were late round picks. Look at all the first round busts.

To be fair, DT and Edge have just as much 1st round bust potential...as does every position. No guarantee to get any Pro Bowl players in the 1st round.

A little sampling of Vikes' 1st round picks...lots of ickiness in this, and doesn't show guys like Shariff Floyd or Erasmus James

Screenshot_20240423_141613_Brave.jpg

• Puke
Reactions: Acylum and Cyhig

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron