***2024 Minnesota Vikings***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Find it interesting that Penix is considered a steal and a perfect pick for the Raiders at 13. And not a viable option for the Vikings if McCarthy or Maye are not there.

I do not want to be like the Carolina Panthers who are watching their #1 pick go to the Bears to select Caleb Williams while getting even more draft picks in addition to keeping their own.
The tragic part out Carolina is the coach wanted Stoud but was vetoed. Then gets fired for the front offices incompetence.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You basically gutted the middle of this and next years draft to make those two moves. Hope they work out for you because you sacrificed the opportunity to draft a large quantity of good players that are going to be missed.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Things could play out differently, but as of now the QB class next year is projected to be very weak.

Daniels made a huge jump last year, so maybe others will, but getting McCarthy at 10 for a low cost, that’s a better bet than what they would probably get next year if current projections hold up.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You basically gutted the middle of this and next years draft to make those two moves. Hope they work out for you because you sacrificed the opportunity to draft a large quantity of good players that are going to be missed.
The Vikings are really solid at pretty much every other position (interior OL notwithstanding). Getting a QB1 and the top edge rusher in the draft are absolutely the highest impact moves they could make.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The Vikings are really solid at pretty much every other position (interior OL notwithstanding). Getting a QB1 and the top edge rusher in the draft are absolutely the highest impact moves they could make.
Agreed. I could see them go with CB, RB, and OL with their remaining picks. If they can snag one more contributor, I'll consider this draft to be successful.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Agreed. I could see them go with CB, RB, and OL with their remaining picks. If they can snag one more contributor, I'll consider this draft to be successful.
Really, I'm ok with the RB room as is. Get a G and CB that can play this year and I'll be thrilled.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Problem with your strategy is that you need potentially great players to win championships. Not a large quantity of average players. You need difference makers. Two absolutely excellent picks. Especially considering how things played out.

Got McCarthy for a reasonable cost. He lost one game in college. Like 3 games in HS. He was one of the top QB prospects coming out. The Michigan starting QB transferred to Iowa because McCarthy was signed. Has always been a stud.

Dallas Turner was he #1 Edge coming out of HS. #1 Edge in College at Alabama. Absolute stud.

Two probable starters with strong possibility of being perennial All Pros. I’ll take that any day over another half dozen mid round picks struggling to make practice squad or ST.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Problem with your strategy is that you need potentially great players to win championships. Not a large quantity of average players. You need difference makers. Two absolutely excellent picks. Especially considering how things played out.

Got McCarthy for a reasonable cost. He lost one game in college. Like 3 games in HS. He was one of the top QB prospects coming out. The Michigan starting QB transferred to Iowa because McCarthy was signed. Has always been a stud.

Dallas Turner was he #1 Edge coming out of HS. #1 Edge in College at Alabama. Absolute stud.

Two probable starters with strong possibility of being perennial All Pros. I’ll take that any day over another half dozen mid round picks struggling to make practice squad or ST.
Wait, wait, wait. What do the Vikings know about championships?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
They gave up i believe a 3 two 4s and a 5 in this and next year's draft. That's 4 pretty good players that will likely be filled by much less talented options.

• Disagree
Reactions: drmwevr08

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
They gave up i believe a 3 two 4s and a 5 in this and next year's draft. That's 4 pretty good players that will likely be filled by much less talented options.
Comp pick coming for Cousins replaces the 3. We have a lot of salary cap space next offseason to help fill the gaps and honestly picks in those range are pretty hit or miss. Giving up what we did for the top edge rusher and the QB of the future was a major win for last night

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I realize this may sound stupid..... but given the lack of success of Big 10 1st round QB,s (other than Stroud) I am very weary of McCarthy. I'm on board with the Turner pick. Time will tell.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That's 4 "chances" to land good players. It a gamble, for sure. But the entire draft is a gamble. And consider the current GM's dubious track record at drafting in those mid rounds. Moving up to take two guys that you're really high on in exchange for some potential talent that you "might" identify and "might" still be available in the later rounds, is an understandable roll of the dice.

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
Comp pick coming for Cousins replaces the 3. We have a lot of salary cap space next offseason to help fill the gaps and honestly picks in those range are pretty hit or miss. Giving up what we did for the top edge rusher and the QB of the future was a major win for last night
I think this is why they were more aggressive with next years picks. As you said, they will have a ton of cap space to bring in guys to fill any positions they want to fill next year. If they were totally cap strapped, it may have been different. They should also get at least 1 3rd round comp pick (likely 2 - Hunter, Cousins) and will probably have a pick near the top 10 again next season they can trade down if they want to acquire more picks for next year.

For me, the main thing that I'm happy about is they didn't mortgage the future to get McCarthy.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think this is why they were more aggressive with next years picks. As you said, they will have a ton of cap space to bring in guys to fill any positions they want to fill next year. If they were totally cap strapped, it may have been different. They should also get at least 1 3rd round comp pick (likely 2 - Hunter, Cousins) and will probably have a pick near the top 10 again next season they can trade down if they want to acquire more picks for next year.

For me, the main thing that I'm happy about is they didn't mortgage the future to get McCarthy.
Your 2nd pick came off as a complete headcase. Good luck with that.

• Dislike
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Agreed. Last night was a hedged bet. Swing for the fences.

If McCarthy and Turner end up stars or even decent starters, that's a win.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I realize this may sound stupid..... but given the lack of success of Big 10 1st round QB,s (other than Stroud) I am very weary of McCarthy. I'm on board with the Turner pick. Time will tell.

I am leery of McCarthy. But he definitely has been elite his whole career. And he wins. Period. One college loss. Like maybe 3 HS losses total. And when the pressure was on he did deliver. In college his teammates had excellent talent. He’ll have the same in Minnesota. And he played in a pro style offense. That will aid him as he adjusts. Vikings actually got a great pick for the price paid. Dallas Turner is like a bonus.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
They both suck, in my opinion. If McCarthy is a bust then Kwesi will be out of a job in a couple years.
I think many people still don't like Kwesi's first draft. Let's put some perspective on it though. He was hired on January 26, 2022. He had less than three months to prepare for the draft. His first task was to find a new head coach. That deal finalized on Feb 16, 2022. The draft was now only 8 or so weeks away. Sure, he was likely overseeing some of the draft process from Jan 26-Feb 16, but there was a lot of other work needed to do, such as establishing a new work culture/environment.

Basically. Kwesi had little time to devote to his first draft. It's not shocking that draft didn't go as planned. He had a good draft last year, and I think he hit a home run this year. Kwesi also has made many good trades, including getting Hockenson from a division rival. He made a smart choice by not resigning Cousins to an expensive deal. He has navigated the salary cap very well to give the team plenty of cap space to go out and fill some voids.

So how long will people hold Kwesi's first draft against him?

Help Support Us

Become a patron