***2024 Minnesota Vikings***

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Field and Mel were talking up Rodriguez so who knows. Sounds like he's got a good motor.

They'd better sign Risner now. Although it seems like their lack of getting a G in the draft might mean they're planning to start Brandel.

Don't really understand the kicker pick. Seems like they could've gotten an UDFA kicker.

But these are 6th and 7th rounders so throw darts. I guess.

Hopefully they can find a couple of Ivan Pace types on the UDFA market.

Reactions: Cyhig

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Field and Mel were talking up Rodriguez so who knows. Sounds like he's got a good motor.

They'd better sign Risner now. Although it seems like their lack of getting a G in the draft might mean they're planning to start Brandel.

Don't really understand the kicker pick. Seems like they could've gotten an UDFA kicker.

But these are 6th and 7th rounders so throw darts. I guess.

Hopefully they can find a couple of Ivan Pace types on the UDFA market.
The kicker they got was pretty much the consensus best guy in the draft, so I guess I can see spending a late round pick to secure him. They have a need, and the odds of a 6th round kicker making the 53 man roster are probably a lot higher than any other position they might have taken at that spot.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Here are the UDFA's signed by the Vikings (with possibly more to come):

Gabriel Murphy is pretty well thought of by a lot of analysts. Had a 4th round grade. Supposed to be a good pass rusher with short arms, which kept teams from drafting him

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Gabriel Murphy is pretty well thought of by a lot of analysts. Had a 4th round grade. Supposed to be a good pass rusher with short arms, which kept teams from drafting him
I thought he would go 3rd round. A little undersized but he is quick. Great pick up for the Vikes. Not too many other names to get excited about though.

Reactions: Aclone

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Rival NFC North fan checking in - I'm envious you have such an active thread. Way too early draft grades:

Chicago A-
Detroit B-
Green Bay B+
Minnesota B+

I actually thought all four teams did a decent job. I fully expect the Bears to "ruin" Caleb Williams since they're a QB graveyard, but maybe he'll be the exception Detroit couldn't stop the pass last season and they got a pair of highly regarded CB's. Packers drafted "character" over expert rankings - six of their selections were "team captains" - I thought they reached repeatedly but have to trust in Gutey. Viking got their guy at QB and moved up for a pass rusher, then got a fine CB in the fourth. The NFC North is arguably the most balanced division in football and it should be very entertaining next fall.

P.S. My daughter married a MN native and they live in Owatonna with my only grandchild - age 14 months. I fear I'll have to get used to purple and it slays me. My SIL sent me a photo of the grandson in a "4" jersey, which is just mean spirited.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Rival NFC North fan checking in - I'm envious you have such an active thread. Way too early draft grades:

Chicago A-
Detroit B-
Green Bay B+
Minnesota B+

I actually thought all four teams did a decent job. I fully expect the Bears to "ruin" Caleb Williams since they're a QB graveyard, but maybe he'll be the exception Detroit couldn't stop the pass last season and they got a pair of highly regarded CB's. Packers drafted "character" over expert rankings - six of their selections were "team captains" - I thought they reached repeatedly but have to trust in Gutey. Viking got their guy at QB and moved up for a pass rusher, then got a fine CB in the fourth. The NFC North is arguably the most balanced division in football and it should be very entertaining next fall.

P.S. My daughter married a MN native and they live in Owatonna with my only grandchild - age 14 months. I fear I'll have to get used to purple and it slays me. My SIL sent me a photo of the grandson in a "4" jersey, which is just mean spirited.
The Vikings will stink this year. Agree that the Bears will screw up Williams. Actually I'm not sold on Williams anyway.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Heh. I saw “14” and thought that one of my high school friends (and ISU alums) in Owatonna stood a good chance of being a future teacher.

Then saw the “months”, and realized that wasn’t going to cut it. Shoot, “years” barely would.

45th class reunion on the clock.

Reactions: ICCYFAN

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
The Vikings will stink this year. Agree that the Bears will screw up Williams. Actually I'm not sold on Williams anyway.
Actually, they'll probably win 9 games.

Had a surprisingly solid draft.

Love the 1st round picks.

JJ has as much of a chance to be a franchise QB as anyone.

If Minny signs another RB, and Risner, that offense is stacked for a rookie QB to step in to.

HoF WR, AP TE, best tackle tandem in the league, amazing 2nd year WR as well.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Actually, they'll probably win 9 games.

Had a surprisingly solid draft.

Love the 1st round picks.

JJ has as much of a chance to be a franchise QB as anyone.

If Minny signs another RB, and Risner, that offense is stacked for a rookie QB to step in to.

HoF WR, AP TE, best tackle tandem in the league, amazing 2nd year WR as well.
I often forget we have Aaron Jones in the backfield this season. Offensively this team is loaded in the skill positions. We just need the QB (whether its McCarthy or Darnold) to make good, accurate, and timely reads.

This team has some holes defensively, but I like what I saw schematically from Flores last year. I think the defense will be above average

The biggest reason the Vikings will lose 10+ games would be if they suffered injures to their skill players. They don't have much depth at those positions.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Was interested to hear what Trader Rick thought of the Viking draft. Liked the aggressive trade to get Turner and gave the Vikes draft an overall A grade.

Rick didn’t address his pre-draft prediction that the Vikes would take JJ (right), and that they would overpay to get him (wrong).

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Vikings signed 17 UDFA’s. Some pretty decent prospects that should help make up for the lack of mid round picks. Vikings nailed the first two picks.