***2024 MLB Season Thread***

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Could be worse. Could be a Rockies fan :(
At least with the Rockies you know they are bad and you can just tune them out. The Twins ownership said, look at this dumpster fire of a division. We can cut payroll, win the division and fans will still think we are trying.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Lots of injuries to pitchers. Not like this is a 2024 phenomenon Meanwhile the MLB Players Association has it figured out. It's the pitch clock! :rolleyes:

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Lots of injuries to pitchers. Not like this is a 2024 phenomenon Meanwhile the MLB Players Association has it figured out. It's the pitch clock! :rolleyes:
Think it mostly comes down to human body just not made to throw this hard/max velocity & effort and also the spin rates/torque of today's pitches.

• Agree

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
He has to be doing this on purpose at this point.

He's the worst ump in the majors and he knows it. It's why he's got a hair trigger with all the players and managers. Not a fan of the automated zone but, we at least need the challenge system for balls and strikes so ding-dongs like him can't change the game whenever they want.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
He's the worst ump in the majors and he knows it. It's why he's got a hair trigger with all the players and managers. Not a fan of the automated zone but, we at least need the challenge system for balls and strikes so ding-dongs like him can't change the game whenever they want.
Agree. MLB needs to implement the three challenge system (with confirmed challenges retained) as soon as possible. Too much money involved to tolerate amateur umpires like Angel.

• Agree

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Agree. MLB needs to implement the three challenge system (with confirmed challenges retained) as soon as possible. Too much money involved to tolerate amateur umpires like Angel.
I'm not even sure 3 is enough. You could burn thru them fast with a dip like Angel back there (although under your system, they would retain correct challenges) but, that also assumes new york would overturn the calls

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I see that MLB.COM still is in full LA Angels promotion again this year. Yeah, I get it, Trout is an amazing player - but I don't see playoff or WS success at all in his tenure there. This year? The Angels are 7-6 as of today, so let's bang the drum for such a amazing juggernaut. Okay, done with rant.

Reactions: MJ29

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I'm not even sure 3 is enough. You could burn thru them fast with a dip like Angel back there (although under your system, they would retain correct challenges) but, that also assumes new york would overturn the calls
Agree. With Angel, you won’t burn through them. You’ll probably win every Angel contest and keep your challenges (as currently done in the minors). With Angel you just keep going and a club might end up with a dozen challenges a game!

• Agree

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It's sad the umpire union continues to allow this clown to be employed. MLB can't do much other than try and limit his assignments but he's become such a joke lately its.bad for the game when clips like that are becoming more frequent.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Well, sure, if you’re not allowed to step off the rubber 12 times during an at-bat and walk around behind the mound, that’s just guaranteed Tommy John surgery, its obvious.
I guess I can buy-into the "everyone is throwing maximum effort" and "high spin" explanations.

But with all the advanced fitness & conditioning. Guys on pitch counts, fewer starts, etc- it's hard to understand why there are so many arm issues today. Maybe there isn't: just more visibility, recency effect and use of surgery.

As a 70's kid and big baseball fan- it amazes me that elite pitchers of that era like Palmer, Carlton, Seaver, etc commonly threw 270+ innings in a season and pitched complete games around 30% of their starts.

Not buying the pitch clock explanation itself. But maybe it contributes. Last night Jordan Wicks threw 94 pitches over 4 innings. Obviously a bad outing, but that's a lot of pitches in 60-75 minutes. And it's not uncommon for a pitcher with a quality start to average at least 18 pitches an inning.