2024 NCAA Tournament Thread

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I keep saying - look how much respect ISU fans have for Cooper Dejean because he's a class act, doesn't show boat, and handles himself really well even in adversity. If Clark didn't act like a whiny baby, throw tantrums, and do all the showboating, we'd give her the same respect.

I feel like that was kind of my history watching clark. Started watching her because she was doing some incredible stuff despite being a hawkeye, but the more i watched the more i saw the other things and grew to dislike watching.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Dawn Staley is a helluva coach. South Carolina withstood the early onslaught and then took control after half

Reactions: DeBruzzio

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I keep saying - look how much respect ISU fans have for Cooper Dejean because he's a class act, doesn't show boat, and handles himself really well even in adversity. If Clark didn't act like a whiny baby, throw tantrums, and do all the showboating, we'd give her the same respect.

Well frankly I don't give Dejean a second thought (except for the very weird Register article this week about how he'll be the only white person in his position in the NFL and how that might be racism....).

My beef with Clark is less about her on court antics and more about how I'm constantly told how much I should be cheering for her and how she's the greatest person to ever dribble a basketball. Obviously a TON of people like watching her play and that's great for them. But not everyone has to love it and we don't have to have a god damned graphic of Cy with a Hawk flag floating around the internet for the last few days.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The size and athleticism of the past three teams Iowa faced are so radically different than Iowa’s.

I can entertain criticism of CC’s defense but the idea that she needed a team championship to prove anything is absurd. Maybe if she had a roster like these (UConn, lsu, sc) but not at Iowa with effectively role players.

The fact that she took them to the title game twice in a row and beat these teams a few times to get there is incredible.
CC and mostly short, unheralded recruits playing for the natty two years in a row is something. Especially having to go through a murderer's row both years just to get there.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and tre

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
Clark is (was?) Iowa's best player, absolutely no doubt about that. A great passer too. But some of her decisions are mind-boggling. It's as if she forgets her other teammates can score? Marshall makes 2 clear threes and doesn't get a chance to shoot again. Affolter and Martin each had some mistakes, but were doing well scoring. They're at their best when they are passing and distributing the ball. Hero ball from about the 2:30 minute on and it completely crushed Iowa (probably still would've lost, but had a 5% shot). I'd be upset if I was her teammate, no matter how good she is.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Bluder's Bunch making the championship game 2 years in a row is impressive. I can also appreciate the sheer talent that Clark possesses. That said, had Iowa won today, it would have absolutely ramped up Fry-era levels of delusions of grandeur amongst that fan base. The tavern-hoks around my area have been ferocious in their chest thumping these last two years (even though they hadn't cared about Iowa WBB since Vivian Stringer was there). Thanks South Carolina for ending the Clark era as well as the hopes and dreams of all those obnoxious tavernhoks!!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You do have to give her a ton of credit, she overcame the odds of having 2 teams of McDonald's All-Americans at her disposal.

Good for her for recruiting them. Iowa had the best player that ever played according to most and didn't win.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

nah he's a tool bag too

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm and Jer

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Good for her for recruiting them. Iowa had the best player that ever played according to most and didn't win.

And it's not hard, or uncommon, for talented teams to become a basket case chemistry wise (see LSU this year). To keep them focused enough to win every game and a natty is impressive no matter who's on the team.