***2024 NFL Draft***

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Pretty cool seeing some of these moms who have probably struggled like crazy raising kids watching their son get drafted and knowing they're probably going to be pretty well taken care of from here on out.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think the way rookie contracts work has completely screwed up player development, especially in the QB position. Most QBs, especially those drafted in the 1st round, are thrown to the wolves on day 1, and if they survive the wolves by the time their rookie contract ends they move onto the next 1st round QB. OTOH, look what the Packers have done for the last 30+ years - they drafted Rodgers while Favre still had life left in him and let him develop for several seasons, and then turned the reigns over to him... and then they did the same with Love. And - shocker - the Packers have had franchise-caliber QBs playing them for the last 30+ years. As much as I hate it, the Packers have consistently done it right. The rest of the league OTOH, doesn't want to invest in a QB unless they prove themselves on a rookie contract, which is why all these players bomb.

Speaking of... I LOVE that the Falcons drafted Penix here, even after signing Cousins.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
One or two come up every year or two. Just a matter of digging deep.
Besides Brady, who was the last team to make the Superbowl with a QB they acquired in free agency? Maybe you count Nick Foles? Although he only played in the post season.

To be clear, I'm not arguing with you that a team selecting QBs at the top of the draft every 3-4 years is a recipe for success, but the alternative doesn't have a great track record either.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Draft a top ten QB and sign a QB to a four year deal. Doesn’t make sense. If Cousins works out, Penix doesn’t really play

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
They can take several years to develop their QB for the future. As I said earlier - this has worked for the Packers for decades.
Mahomes sat and watched Smith his first year in the league, started the last game vs Denver.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
It’s not that Penix cannot play - it’s his injury history that is his biggest risk..

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
They can take several years to develop their QB for the future. As I said earlier - this has worked for the Packers for decades.

Atlanta might be actually playing this correctly. It’s been proven several times that allowing your future star QB to sit and learn is the way to go.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Vikings move up a spot. Gotta think this is McCarthy

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I can get on board with JJ. Didn't give up their other first round pick, so they can hopefully grab a defensive player.

Reactions: somecyguy