***2024 NFL Draft***

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I can only listen to so much Mina Kimes before I want to put a bullet in my head. Yes, we get it - you don’t understand why the Falcons drafted Penix, even after people all day have told you why they might have done it… and you “blah blah blahed” them to their faces after their explanations.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I can only listen to so much Mina Kimes before I want to put a bullet in my head. Yes, we get it - you don’t understand why the Falcons drafted Penix, even after people all day have told you why they might have done it… and you “blah blah blahed” them to their faces after their explanations.
Don’t disrespect my girl Mina like that! :p

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Someone smarter than me can explain why he's better, but DeJean is just Riley Moss 2.0 IMO. Virtually identical in all measurables and I'd have similar questions on DeJean as there were on Moss about what his ultimate position is. Moss was a third rounder and had his injury issues in year one, but was largely a non-factor for Denver. Plus DeJean's put up the gaudy stats in 2022 with Moss on the otherside and people throwing at Cooper more. To me he's not a player that's 60 picks better than Moss. He'll likely be a fine player, but I'm not surprised NFL teams don't worship him the way Iowa fans do.

HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash10-yard split20-yard split20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jumpBench press
Moss6 ft 05⁄8 in193 lb30 in9+1⁄2 in4.45 s1.48 s2.56 s4.15 s6.60 s39.0 in10 ft 7 in11 reps
DeJean6 ft 01⁄2 in203 lb31+1⁄8 in9+5⁄8 in4.42 s1.52 s2.58 sN/AN/A38.5 in10 ft 4 in16 reps
Those DeJean numbers are coming right after injury recovery. They would have been better if he was healthy. He has better quickness, better ball skills and is a more physical player. He is also came out as a true junior. Ton of upside as he has barely played the corner position. It wasn't Iowa fans giving him first round grades it was NFL GMs.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Everyone ripped on the Packers when they drafted Rodgers and again when they drafted Love. But yet the national media for some reason can’t figure out what the Falcons are doing? Talk about idiots.

The Falcons are not one 1st rd pick from the Super Bowl this year, so why not start building for a few years down the line? If you’re that high on Penix then take him and start building now.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Everyone ripped on the Packers when they drafted Rodgers and again when they drafted Love. But yet the national media for some reason can’t figure out what the Falcons are doing? Talk about idiots.

The Falcons are not one 1st rd pick from the Super Bowl this year, so why not start building for a few years down the line? If you’re that high on Penix then take him and start building now.

On the surface I can agree it doesn’t make sense to draft Penix at 8 when they just spent $100m in guaranteed money for Cousins, especially when defense, especially an edge rusher, is such a need for them. However, despite a bad defense, the Falcons were one average QB away from running away with the NFL South last season - and the Falcons have not had at least an average QB since they let Ryan go (and he probably degraded below that status before they did). Cousins maybe has 2-3 years left in his prime (assuming his Achilles injury didn’t shorten that), and odds are with Cousins playing the Falcons aren’t going to have a top 10 pick for the foreseeable future. So why not draft your QB of the future now and actually develop the guy without putting a ton of pressure on him to perform in the meantime? Sure, the rest of the world will question the pick, and you might have upset Cousins, but face it - he can cry himself to sleep at night with his $100m guaranteed.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Those DeJean numbers are coming right after injury recovery. They would have been better if he was healthy. He has better quickness, better ball skills and is a more physical player. He is also came out as a true junior. Ton of upside as he has barely played the corner position. It wasn't Iowa fans giving him first round grades it was NFL GMs.
The kid is a great player and will be a starting safety, slot corner type of player for 10 or 12 years in the league. EIU fans are all over this, he is a white guy and that is the reason he was not taken, which is complete garbage. The reason he was not taken, nor has any other EIU corners been taken in the 1st round is because they are strictly a zone team. EIU does not play, a get up in the WR face, bump him and turn and run with the WR type of defense and are not going to change.

They play off the ball, drop into coverage which allows all the D backs to keep track of the QB and see where the ball is going. Once they see the ball in the air, they then drive towards it hoping to get an INT. They are willing to give up the dink and dunk down the field, and rally to tackle the guy figuring most teams cannot do it enough to go down and score. Its also why they tend to get toasted by the better teams, that can do it, and have athletes that can catch the short pass and make a guy or two miss and get yardage.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Settle down.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Wait, there are people that don't think the Falcons are morons?

I haven't heard an explanation that makes any sense. If they think Penix is a couple years from being a franchise QB, great, sign a decent journeyman and rebuild. If they think they can win now with Cousins, great, give him as much help as possible and draft a QB later to develop. Playing both sides of that is going to leave you in the middle of nowhere.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

I haven't heard an explanation that makes any sense. If they think Penix is a couple years from being a franchise QB, great, sign a decent journeyman and rebuild. If they think they can win now with Cousins, great, give him as much help as possible and draft a QB later to develop. Playing both sides of that is going to leave you in the middle of nowhere.
Comparing the Packers strategy with this Falcons move is apples and oranges.

Each time with Rodgers and Love, the Packers had superstars who were on the backside of their career (with maybe 2-3 years left), already under contract, and relatively complete teams around the QB.

The Falcons literally just signed their veteran QB to a big contract and they have a truly awful defense.

What the Falcons did would be like if the Broncos or Bucs drafted a QB in the top 10 the same year they signed Manning/Brady.

Reactions: Bigman38

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

And the Packers have been called morons for drafting QBs when they didn't need them as well. Meanwhile, the Packers haven't had to worry about the QB position for more than 3 decades.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Comparing the Packers strategy with this Falcons move is apples and oranges.

Each time with Rodgers and Love, the Packers had superstars who were on the backside of their career (with maybe 2-3 years left), already under contract, and relatively complete teams around the QB.

The Falcons literally just signed their veteran QB to a big contract with a truly awful defense. What the Falcons did would be like if the Broncos or Bucs drafted a QB in the top 10 the same year they signed Manning/Brady.

You think Cousins isn't on the backside of his career?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

It's not even remotely the same thing. Had they just singed Rodgers or Favre to a huge free agent contract from another team?

It's absolutely idiotic but you know better than the rest of us and all the " idiots" who played in the NFL or do draft analysis as a profession.

Jordan Love is only 6 months older than Pennix. The problem is Pennix is already old and not some developmental project like Love. He's already played alot of college football at the highest level.

At the most they are wasting a couple years where he could be developing on the actual field, and at the very least this is going to create major locker room problems.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I don't get drafting Penix unless it was in a later round. He thrived in that Washington system with a ton of talent around him but I don't see him as a good NFL QB at all. Just dumb to me.

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
As I said to the other poster, how much better do you honestly think they'd be? It's marginal at best. Also NFL GMs just passed on him 32 times in the first round. Everyone acting like I'm saying he can't play. I'm simply saying he's closer to Riley Moss than Pat Surtain.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Its not really that hard to figure out, KC did the same thing when they drafted Mahomes. At the time the Chiefs were a playoff caliber team and Smith was a pro bowl player, but they saw something in Mahomes that told them he can be a SB caliber QB, while Smith is not going to be able to get you there, much like Cousins.

I would guess the Falcons think Penix is more like Mahomes and will be a difference maker in a year or two. He can learn under Cousins, and if Cousins gets hurt, they have Penix to play. The contract with Cousin's also allows him to be released after two years and even though they owe him $100 million on the contract they thought it was worth it. None of the QB slated for next year's draft are as good as Penix is and were fine drafting a player they thought could win big for them in the future. It's a gamble, but not any worse than any of the other teams that took a QB in the first-round last night, because most of them are likely to end up be average to below as being the next Barrow or Mahomes.

Reactions: Nothingman

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
As I said to the other poster, how much better do you honestly think they'd be? It's marginal at best. Also NFL GMs just passed on him 32 times in the first round. Everyone acting like I'm saying he can't play. I'm simply saying he's closer to Riley Moss than Pat Surtain.
Yeah he didn't go in a first round but he got a first round grade. A few other first rounders fell as well. I think this numbers would have been a lot better based on what his NFL trainer said he was doing last summer. Said he thought DeJean could get close to a 4.3 or maybe break it. Great short area quickness. Really good acceleration. But I just think he is a way better football player with a ton of upside left. Way more versatile than Moss and I think Moss maxed out at Iowa.

I think certain teams probably didn't have him because he isn't a press corner and is probably best out of the slot or a kind of hybrid safety role. I think he is a totally different player than Moss or Surtain.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Likely downgraded due to weak fair catch signal skills.

• Haha
Reactions: Halincandenza

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron