***2024 NFL Draft***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Comparing the Packers strategy with this Falcons move is apples and oranges.

Each time with Rodgers and Love, the Packers had superstars who were on the backside of their career (with maybe 2-3 years left), already under contract, and relatively complete teams around the QB.

The Falcons literally just signed their veteran QB to a big contract and they have a truly awful defense.

What the Falcons did would be like if the Broncos or Bucs drafted a QB in the top 10 the same year they signed Manning/Brady.
At $25 mil/ yr. It seems they can dump Kirk's salary when Penix is ready. He's not necessarily a bargain at that price but still movable to a playoff contender with a QB need. Kinda like the Jets in week 2.

• Haha
Reactions: quasistellar

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Disagree. Scouting at the NFL level is tasked with identifying talent, period. Millions of dollars are spent in that pursuit. To think that all of the teams would fall victim to such an obvious oversight is pretty ludicrous. It's also belied by the fact that the first cornerback taken in this year's draft was from a MAC school.
Purdy's play and draft spot would say you are wrong. If an athlete tests off the charts no matter where they are from, they are going to get pushed up, but how about those that do not. Bias exists towards certain schools and its crazy to say that they only look at the numbers, which is not always true.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Disagree. Scouting at the NFL level is tasked with identifying talent, period. Millions of dollars are spent in that pursuit. To think that all of the teams would fall victim to such an obvious oversight is pretty ludicrous. It's also belied by the fact that the first cornerback taken in this year's draft was from a MAC school.
Do I think it makes sense? No, but I think it is awfully hard to argue there isn’t some sort of bias against Iowa State players. The only real people that I think were drafted higher than expected were Kene and Will. Pretty much everyone else was either drafted where they were expected or significantly worse.

I mean who was the last bust in the NFL draft from Iowa State? I don’t know that there has really been one since I’ve been alive.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
I am in the camp that NFL front office types look at ISU players and still think that the kid could not be that good and if he is, then why is he playing for ISU in Cedar Fall Idaho? They think players like Lazard, Hall and Purdy were flukes and no way could a player that productive be coming out of a small school in the middle of Indiana or is it Idaho, wherever ISU is located. In other words, our players do not get the free pass that gets them into the discussion like players from UT, OU or even EIU. The only way to change that is keep producing quality NFL products year after year and prove them wrong.
Take Worthy who the Chiefs took in the first round, no way he gets picked that high if he had played at ISU instead of UT. They would look at his size and discount his breakaway speed and therefore downgrade him. Tampa is going to be a very good pro player and have a nice 10 year career, you just have to give him his shot.
I usually fall in the "truth lies somewhere in the middle" camp on a lot of things, including this.

Breece Hall is the prefect example for both arguments. He went to Iowa State but still was drafted early 2nd round, which in this day and age is a really good place for a RB to get drafted. He was scouted well and everyone was in agreement that he could be a really good NFL RB, so going to Iowa State didn't hurt him, from this perspective.

But you can contrast Breece to Bijan Robinson and make the other argument that why didn't Breece get chosen in the 1st round like Bijan did. Both had very similar numbers in college, both had very similar combine/pro day numbers, and both were regarded as the best RB in the draft. The only difference was Bijan had Texas on the jersey and had the Texas/ESPN media train pulling him along his final season at Texas, which gave him a larger profile going into the draft.

Ultimately my opinion on Tampa is his pro day really hurt his draft stock along with some things I have heard from guys breaking down film prior to the draft about him sometimes getting out of position, not being physical enough at the line and being in zone way more than some other CBs. It sounds like the Iowa State defensive scheme may have held Tampa back just a little in the draft, if you want to believe those takes.

Here's the film breakdown I'm referencing.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Purdy's play and draft spot would say you are wrong. If an athlete tests off the charts no matter where they are from, they are going to get pushed up, but how about those that do not. Bias exists towards certain schools and its crazy to say that they only look at the numbers, which is not always true.
NFL scouts probably know how much every prospect s*hit in the toilet on April 3rd. They don’t have bias towards a school. That is the dumbest f*ucking thing that gets said by people on this site every single year when the ISU player they love didn’t get drafted as high as they thought.

Brock Purdy is undersized, doesn’t have an elite arm, was very prone to making bad mistakes while at ISU, and while he does have some athletic ability, he’s not overly athletic. It’s easy to see why he was on his way to being undrafted. Drew Bree’s was undersized, but had a near elite arm and make Purdue contender in what was considered the best football conference in the Big Ten at the time. He didn’t force throws or make mistakes. I bring him up because people always point to him when talking about Purdy.

Allen Lazard is only in the NFL because Aaron Rodgers wants him. He’s not fast for an NFL WR, has mediocre hands and doesn’t run crisp routes. He’s a good blocker. You can thank Aaron Rodger’s for him having an NFL career.

This Tampa situation on here reminds me of Hakeem Butler. ISU fans had him way overrated and complained that the NFL was biased towards ISU and that’s why he fell. Wrong. He has poor hands, doesn’t run routes well and plays lazy. Just because YOU think he should have been drafted higher because Mel Kiper said he should too, doesn’t mean that the guys investing millions to scout and project players do. The NFL does not give two s*it’s on where someone played college football.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
ESPN has TJ as the best available prospect. Gotta imagine he's taken pretty early today.

Reactions: CloneIce

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
ESPN has TJ as the best available prospect. Gotta imagine he's taken pretty early today.

He's been the best or 2nd best available prospect for about 32 picks now, if you're going by ESPN.

I looked up some scouting stuff finally and I can now see why he's dropped so far. I think if he'd run a 4.4-4.5 40 some team would have taken him by now, though.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
NFL scouts probably know how much every prospect s*hit in the toilet on April 3rd. They don’t have bias towards a school. That is the dumbest f*ucking thing that gets said by people on this site every single year when the ISU player they love didn’t get drafted as high as they thought.

Brock Purdy is undersized, doesn’t have an elite arm, was very prone to making bad mistakes while at ISU, and while he does have some athletic ability, he’s not overly athletic. It’s easy to see why he was on his way to being undrafted. Drew Bree’s was undersized, but had a near elite arm and make Purdue contender in what was considered the best football conference in the Big Ten at the time. He didn’t force throws or make mistakes. I bring him up because people always point to him when talking about Purdy.

Allen Lazard is only in the NFL because Aaron Rodgers wants him. He’s not fast for an NFL WR, has mediocre hands and doesn’t run crisp routes. He’s a good blocker. You can thank Aaron Rodger’s for him having an NFL career.

This Tampa situation on here reminds me of Hakeem Butler. ISU fans had him way overrated and complained that the NFL was biased towards ISU and that’s why he fell. Wrong. He has poor hands, doesn’t run routes well and plays lazy. Just because YOU think he should have been drafted higher because Mel Kiper said he should too, doesn’t mean that the guys investing millions to scout and project players do. The NFL does not give two s*it’s on where someone played college football.
Correct those same scouts and GM's thought Mitch Trubisky was the best QB in the draft 6 years ago, or that Wilson was worth a #3 selection by the Jets. Both were talked up to being future great players, they make mistakes both ways, to say that they don't is silly. Do I think scouts and GM's are bias towards ISU, no, but do I think they also look kindly on our players, no I don't. But the only way to change that is keep putting players in the league that perform, which the team is doing now more than ever.

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
Do I think it makes sense? No, but I think it is awfully hard to argue there isn’t some sort of bias against Iowa State players. The only real people that I think were drafted higher than expected were Kene and Will. Pretty much everyone else was either drafted where they were expected or significantly worse.

I mean who was the last bust in the NFL draft from Iowa State? I don’t know that there has really been one since I’ve been alive.
Hakeem butler.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Correct those same scouts and GM's thought Mitch Trubisky was the best QB in the draft 6 years ago, or that Wilson was worth a #3 selection by the Jets. Both were talked up to being future great players, they make mistakes both ways, to say that they don't is silly. Do I think scouts and GM's are bias towards ISU, no, but do I think they also look kindly on our players, no I don't. But the only way to change that is keep putting players in the league that perform, which the team is doing now more than ever.

There's a difference between a team taking a player too high and a player dropping way down. It only takes one scout/owner/GM to make a player go way too high in the draft. It takes the entire NFL to make a player drop a long way.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Agree 100%. It's very hard to judge your favorite teams' players critically, which is perfectly understandable, but then you watch a video like the 49ers one above, and you realize that TJ has some weaknesses that NFL GM's are concerned enough about that they didn't want to spend a top 3 round pick on. It has nothing to do with him playing for ISU... other than the fact that our defense isn't what you see in the NFL.... that same thing hurt DeJean too btw.

Look at Hakeem. ISU fans rightly LOVED him... but we all knew he dropped a lot of balls. So did Lazard. And you can't get drafted high in the NFL as a WR if you don't have great hands. Us ISU fans might hate that... but these teams are investing huge money on these guys and their jobs depend on how they draft players.

Now... hopefully TJ Tampa can go to a team and prove everyone wrong... like Purdy has done. Every ISU fan wants that to happen!

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
There's a difference between a team taking a player too high and a player dropping way down. It only takes one scout/owner/GM to make a player go way too high in the draft. It takes the entire NFL to make a player drop a long way.
But it wasn't just one team or two, these players were highly ranked by everyone out there. Teams get to caught up in 40 time, can he make all the throws, his size and forget the most important thing, "is the player making plays or not." Great teams have great players, and teams that win year after year get those players drafted, some because they played for that team, which is just as important as anything else.

I can still remember all the talking heads and scouts debating which QB was better coming out of college, Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. Quite a few thought Leaf would be the better player and that Manning was at his peak football wise. One is in the HoF and the other is a very good host of the NFL network but sucked at playing QB. But he tested out great, could make all the throws and the rest of it.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
It’s pretty obvious something is going on here. The amount of teams that need a corner passing on him is concerning.