2024 Spring Football Thread

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
Any incoming freshman enrolled for Spring?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Running over some comments from
the Spring presser videos, and paraphrasing.

Sorry if I missed anything. I was kinda busy when listening to Coach Heacock, My comments with asterisks.

From assorted personages:

Offense
Jaylin and Jayden are going to be improved.

Transfer Isaiah Austin has intriguing length (6’4” 195 Sr) and athleticism—but has been recovering from lingering injuries from Army. He missed most of the season last year.

Beni Ngoyi has added both muscle and speed.
*seriously how is that fair to poor DB’s?

Redshirt sophomore Jason Essex is finally ready to roll, per Rocco.
*I’ll say that from recent photos, at a (currently) listed 6’2” 215, he looks…more than buff.

Mouser tells us that Ben Brahmer reported at 218 last season, played around 230–and he expects him to be 250 this Fall.

Early enrollee TE Cooper Alexander is also adding weight fast.
*This room will be LOADED.

COVID senior Jarrod Hufford has added both muscle and quickness.

Wisconsin senior transfer C Dylan Barrett has totally refined his body, losing bad weight and adding good, and is (reportedly) around 335 now.

Transfer COVID senior RB Jaylon Jackson (5’6” 168) has Kene-type speed, and is expected to impact special teams as a returner, and help in the backfield.

Early enrollee RB Dylan Lee is also adding muscle fast.

Mouser joked that he and Rocco get along well because Rocco has tight end blood.

Mouser is excited. Rocco is excited that Mouser is excited. Both are giddy about throwing more—including downfield. Even CMC acknowledged the possibility.
Seriously.

Defense
The Professor made it clear that at times last year, the defense was’t as good as it could have been—or was even bad at times. He expects that to change.

He expects Sadowsky and McLaughlin to make big strides this year.

No word on the 3rd LB—unless I missed it.

Cooper (for the first time) and Verdon have both been fully healthy this offseason.
*IMO, if Coop could add 10-15 pounds of muscle, that would be immense. Both for his durability and NFL aspirations.

Mentioning COVID senior CB Darien Porter makes faces light up.

Ike Ezeogu is up to around 275.
*That’s scary.

Coach Heacock commented on it being important that last year’s “young” defensive line has that much more experience and time to mature.

Among the intriguing special teams comments was the surprise mention of Dubuque’s Kyle Konrardy, a redshirt freshman walkon placekicker, as an apparent key figure in the kicking competition. 52 yd FG in HS. Mentioned over notable others, including FAU senior transfer Carter Davis.

All long snappers back.

Last edited:

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Running over some comments from
the Spring presser videos, and paraphrasing.

Sorry if I missed anything. I was kinda busy when listening to Coach Heacock, My comments with asterisks.

From assorted personages:

Offense
Jaylin and Jayden are going to be improved.

Transfer Isaiah Austin has intriguing length (6’4” 195 Sr) and athleticism—but has been recovering from lingering injuries from Army. He missed most of the season last year.

Beni Ngoyi has added both muscle and speed.
*seriously how is that fair to poor DB’s?

Redshirt sophomore Jason Essex is finally ready to roll, per Rocco.
*I’ll say that from recent photos, at a (currently) listed 6’2” 215, he looks…more than buff.

Mouser tells us that Ben Brahmer reported at 218 last season, played around 230–and he expects him to be 250 this Fall.

Early enrollee TE Stephen Cooper is also adding weight fast.
*This room will be LOADED.

COVID senior Jarrod Hufford has added both muscle and quickness.

Wisconsin senior transfer C Dylan Barrett has totally refined his body, losing bad weight and adding good, and is (reportedly) around 335 now.

Transfer COVID senior RB Jaylon Jackson (5’6” 168) has Kene-type speed, and is expected to impact special teams as a returner, and help in the backfield.

Early enrollee RB Dylan Lee is also adding muscle fast.

Mouser joked that he and Rocco get along well because Rocco has tight end blood.

Mouser is excited. Rocco is excited that Mouser is excited. Both are giddy about throwing more—including downfield. Even CMC acknowledged the possibility.
Seriously.

Defense
The Professor made it clear that at times last year, the defense was’t as good as it could have been—or was even bad at times. He expects that to change.

He expects Sadowsky and McLaughlin to make big strides this year.

No word on the 3rd LB—unless I missed it.

Cooper (for the first time) and Verdon have both been fully healthy this offseason.
*IMO, if Coop could add 10-15 pounds of muscle, that would be immense. Both for his durability and NFL aspirations.

Mentioning COVID senior CB Darien Porter makes faces light up.

Ike Ezeogu is up to around 275.
*That’s scary.

Coach Heacock commented on it being important that last year’s “young” defensive line has that much more experience and time to mature.

Among the intriguing special teams comments was the surprise mention of Dubuque’s Kyle Konrardy, a redshirt freshman walkon placekicker, as an apparent key figure in the kicking competition. 52 yd FG in HS. Mentioned over notable others, including FAU senior transfer Carter Davis.

All long snappers back.
I assume you mean Cooper Alexander?

• Friendly
Reactions: dafarmer and Aclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
OP, thanks for the write-up. I watched the videos the other day and thought I viewed them all. But based on a couple comments in your post, I might have missed a couple.

Love listening the the staff talk, even Campbell :) During the season, he can fall into a lot of coach speak and be guarded his comments, but felt he was pretty open. Really like our young coaches.

The two topics that caught my attention were our LB's and Darien Porter. I got the feeling that Heacock expects a lot more from our LB group this fall. Maybe another off-season will allow the young guys to grow, but he'll play guys who bring the most consistency. He also mentioned Myles Purchase in that regard.

I am not sure what to think about Porter. For the past couple years the staff has consistently talked him up. But in games, it seems like he's out of position on coverage quite a bit. Sounds like his teammates see a lot of talent in practice, so hopefully he can step up this fall. But it was also interesting in Heacock's interview he mentioned he loves our CB depth this year. Loved hearing that because TJ Tampa has some large shoes to fill.

• Friendly
Reactions: BigCyFan and Aclone

New lone

Jun 23, 2023
I am thinking of bringing my nephews to practice on 4/20. Any idea if players stick around to sign autographs afterwards? I think my 5 year old nephew would love to get some autographs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron