2024 Transfer Portal Tracker (Wrestling)

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
It's a lot, but Alirez is a stud. And if he sticks around post-grad and competes freestyle for them, it might be worth it. I'd be OK if it was us giving him that money.

The tampering is another story, and it will continue to happen until it happens to the wrong team and the NCAA finally steps in.
The NCAA is on deaths door. I think any thought of a future sanction is laughable.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I think if Iowa has a private donor willing to fork over $500k for Alirez, good for them.

It seems like there is some discrepancy between the donors and the coaching staff. Clearly some donors are willing to pay big money to get 2nd place, but the coaches aren’t willing to make the decisions necessary to get 2nd. They left points at home at NCAAs which would have almost assuredly gotten them 2nd place. For some reasons it appears they were happy with 5th
I agree with most of this, but I’m kind of indifferent on the redshirt decisions.

Maybe those guys aren’t wrestling for Iowa in 4 years anyways but maybe they win 3 or 4 titles now?

Your point still does stand though, they conceded a trophy.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
I think if Iowa has a private donor willing to fork over $500k for Alirez, good for them.

It seems like there is some discrepancy between the donors and the coaching staff. Clearly some donors are willing to pay big money to get 2nd place, but the coaches aren’t willing to make the decisions necessary to get 2nd. They left points at home at NCAAs which would have almost assuredly gotten them 2nd place. For some reasons it appears they were happy with 5th
Did the same donor convince them to take the Ferrari family?

Reactions: Diehardisu6988

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
It is not tampering if the wrestler or wrestling family calls the coach and asks questions. What questions the coach can answer, I am not sure. Can the NIL/Donor go into more details with the wrestler/family, not sure, but probably think so.

The Coach can not contact the wrestler before he is in the portal.

I actually think that nobody is going to monitor it. Wrestling will be the least of NCAA's worries. Men's BB and Football are far bigger issues.

Last edited:

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
It's a lot, but Alirez is a stud. And if he sticks around post-grad and competes freestyle for them, it might be worth it. I'd be OK if it was us giving him that money.

The tampering is another story, and it will continue to happen until it happens to the wrong team and the NCAA finally steps in.
Obviously you’d take the guy no questions but for $500k I’d rather invest elsewhere. I like Frost boys at 141/ Swiderski, Paniro, Ech at 149. I don’t see any reason we can’t get 30 points total between those 2 weights.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

No question you smoke em while you got em, especially today with this stuff going on. Iowa should’ve wrestled Arnold and he might have been in the finals with Star.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Obviously you’d take the guy no questions but for $500k I’d rather invest elsewhere. I like Frost boys at 141/ Swiderski, Paniro, Ech at 149. I don’t see any reason we can’t get 30 points total between those 2 weights.
Plus what do you do to the culture of the team? To think you are going to get the same team and fan support by a bunch of 1 and done guys vs guys that have been at Iowa State for 3 plus years is crazy.

Look at Colorado football and Sanders saying culture is a waste, they have guys coming and going in that program left and right.

This type of program is telling everyone watch out for yourself and no one else.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Plus what do you do to the culture of the team? To think you are going to get the same team and fan support by a bunch of 1 and done guys vs guys that have been at Iowa State for 3 plus years is crazy.

Look at Colorado football and Sanders saying culture is a waste, they have guys coming and going in that program left and right.

This type of program is telling everyone watch out for yourself and no one else.
Agreed - we got Feldkamp, who by the way is a great young man and was always great to talk to, but for the most part the coaches are developing and have a great team culture.

I love the idea of being in the trophy hunt every year with primarily well developed kids who come up in this program. Sprinkle 1 in here or there doesn’t hurt.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I don’t know either but it makes fun lunch time reading - I do think he knows Troy though
I could be misremembering but I am pretty sure he was very loud on the Baylor fernandes situation. If so no way Troy is telling him anything. Agreed it makes wrestling more interesting and fun to hear the juice and gossip

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
Pat keeps things interesting with the rumors and jumping the gun to always post about stuff.. but does he really know this? I can’t see how he would know those details.
Lots of people know what’s going on. Word travels fast in a pretty small circle in the wrestling world

Reactions: 4theheckofit

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I could be misremembering but I am pretty sure he was very loud on the Baylor fernandes situation. If so no way Troy is telling him anything. Agreed it makes wrestling more interesting and fun to hear the juice and gossip
Fernandes should of been kicked off the team over a year ago. Dirty!!!

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG