2024 Transfer Portal Tracker (Wrestling)

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Cyclonewrestlingfan2022

May 30, 2023
I think everybody agrees CC didn't have the year he wanted to. I am super jacked up about his flashes last year and the potential he has over the next 3+ yrs. When evaluating freshman you need to remember college wrestling has never been older. Austin Gomez was on his 7th yr!!!
Yeah I’m pumped for him too. He’s going to be really good.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Don’t believe I ever said anything about Kysens personal life. Talk about putting words into someone’s mouth.

Have you watched Cody wrestle? Comparing his style to Kysen is absolutely absurd. Beat the guys he was supposed to beat, lost some close ones to experienced guys who were high AA’s and had crazy matches with another very good freshman. Had a bad weekend in KC, that happens frequently especially for young guys.

Yonger went 2-2 this year at nationals at his 3rd NCAA tourney. Is his ceiling 7th? I mean, the odds are that a freshman will take a bigger leap than a senior, no?
Give me break guy I never said you don’t get all high and mighty now.

I never said that. I said they’ve both struggled getting past baseline head hands defense at times and inability to finish shots.

You’re making a terrible correlation to try to debate here. Yonger has beat plenty of good guys. He’s proven he can beat the best of the best, he can score at will, he can finish shots. He just hasn’t proven he can handle the big tournament that well in his 3 appearances. He’s struggled with injuries late in the season.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Sounds like freshman wrestling 25 yr olds.
This isn’t 1990 anymore. We have high school kids beating national champions and it’s not surprising anymore. Cody is 20? Maybe 21? Someone with facts can confirm. These kids are coming in ready to go, freshman excuses don’t fly anymore. They’ve, and especially Cody, been wrestling the best of the best traveling the county and going to USA team camps for 10 years

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Give me break guy I never said you don’t get all high and mighty now.

I never said that. I said they’ve both struggled getting past baseline head hands defense at times and inability to finish shots.

You’re making a terrible correlation to try to debate here. Yonger has beat plenty of good guys. He’s proven he can beat the best of the best, he can score at will, he can finish shots. He just hasn’t proven he can handle the big tournament that well in his 3 appearances. He’s struggled with injuries late in the season.
Yes, I am the one making the terrible correlation…says the person downplaying a true freshman without much folk experience for not beating every experienced guy he wrestled and having a bad weekend at NCAAs.

We also forget he missed a few weeks in the season with injury.

Did he have a bad loss all season? The answer is no. Don’t understand the Kysen comparison even one bit to be honest.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I was there too, chatting with Dresser.... I think I know of what you speak.
200w.gif

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I think it's worth noting that the only guys Askey lost to last season were Robb, Shapiro, Andoian, Lewan, and Scott.

Overall, Chittum is the better wrestler, but Chittum seemed caught off guard that he couldn't bully around a super-bulked Askey and didn't adjust his game plan.

Was I disappointed in Chittum's season, for sure, but he'll be fine and come back a more refined spitfire for next season. I'm positive he was more disappointed than any of us.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
Some of you have turned quickly on Kysen as well. I made a wrestling style remark and you guys are bringing the kids personal life up and dragging him down.
I wasn’t trying to drag Kysen down. I was just saying that the main reason he hasn’t really been able to fix his weaknesses over his four years here appears to be lifestyle choices. I don’t think that’s really out of line to say when it’s pretty much what KD has alluded to about Kysen, and that some of these off the mat problems are public knowledge. There’s no indications that Chittum has these problems, and having just finished his first year after adjusting back to folkstyle, I think it’s fair to have more faith in Cody working out these kinks. That’s all I’m saying, I don’t want to come off like I’m out to get Kysen here. He has shown promising stretches and I hope he can keep growing into who he’s capable of being.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
This isn’t 1990 anymore. We have high school kids beating national champions and it’s not surprising anymore. Cody is 20? Maybe 21? Someone with facts can confirm. These kids are coming in ready to go, freshman excuses don’t fly anymore. They’ve, and especially Cody, been wrestling the best of the best traveling the county and going to USA team camps for 10 years
For fuxsake, I knew this was coming. Jax and Bo and the four-timers are outliers. Anybody can find a couple data points to prove a point. And, showing up to one tournament and beating a top level guy in freestyle is a different beast than wrestling an entire collegiate folkstyle season. It's like you dickwads are looking for reason to say he sucks.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I love everyone acting like this is a new problem. There has always been the haves and have nots. 10 years ago, it was scholarships (how many d1 wrestling schools even have a full 9.9?), facilities, RTCs, coaches salaries, etc. Now it’s money going directly to the athletes, but the economic inequality has always been a factor.

What’s new about Iowa, PSU, TOSU having the most money and getting the best wrestling teams? Nothing.

G-imJustafan

Sep 9, 2022
I love everyone acting like this is a new problem. There has always been the haves and have nots. 10 years ago, it was scholarships (how many d1 wrestling schools even have a full 9.9?), facilities, RTCs, coaches salaries, etc. Now it’s money going directly to the athletes, but the economic inequality has always been a factor.

What’s new about Iowa, PSU, TOSU having the most money and getting the best wrestling teams? Nothing.
It's not that it new by any stretch of the imagination and yes I do think student athletes should be compensated above the scholarship they receive if they are fortunate enough to secure one
but not to the insanity in dollars we are witnessing thanks to the unregulated and severely squeed NIL landscape