2025 Tourney Bracket

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I like the idea of the double bye for the top four teams. There should be a reward for regular season performance.

Has the Big 12 published the bracket for next yeay when we grow to 16?

• Agree
Reactions: Chitowncy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I like the idea of the double bye for the top four teams. There should be a reward for regular season performance.

Has the Big 12 published the bracket for next yeay when we grow to 16?
I just read a story in the Star asking the same question. Biggest problem with not having the byes is playing 8 games in one day.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Agree. I like the double-bye and that seems like the only option if all 16 are going to get into the conference postseason tournament next year. The first day would have 8 teams seeded 16 to 9 playing each other with four games. Then, just like this year, teams seeded 5 to 8 get single buys and join in on the fun and play winners of 16 to 9 games, followed by the quarterfinals where the double-buys of teams seeded 1 through 4 start their play. Seems like the best way to do it to allow every team a chance, but keep the tournament to a large, but still manageable 5 days of play.

Crazy how big these leagues have become....

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I just read a story in the Star asking the same question. Biggest problem with not having the byes is playing 8 games in one day.

You’d just have the first round be two days. The advantage to being a high seed would be getting a days rest between 1st round and 2nd round.

In the end, it’s about how much chance do you want to give the 9 and above seeds. With the double bye, it makes it almost impossible for a Cinderella run to a tournament title. With as deep as our league is, I don’t think giving these lower teams a chance is such a bad thing.

I’ve said it before, but my favorite is to have a straight 16 team tournament

Day 1:
1 v 16
4 v 13
2 v 15
3 v 14

Day 2:
5 v 12
8 v 9
6 v 11
7 v 10

Day 3
Quarterfinals

Day 4
Semifinals

Day 5
Finals

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Agree. I like the double-bye and that seems like the only option if all 16 are going to get into the conference postseason tournament next year. The first day would have 8 teams seeded 16 to 9 playing each other with four games. Then, just like this year, teams seeded 5 to 8 get single buys and join in on the fun and play winners of 16 to 9 games, followed by the quarterfinals where the double-buys of teams seeded 1 through 4 start their play. Seems like the best way to do it to allow every team a chance, but keep the tournament to a large, but still manageable 5 days of play.

Crazy how big these leagues have become....
When the Big East had 16, this is how it was done.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
You’d just have the first round be two days. The advantage to being a high seed would be getting a days rest between 1st round and 2nd round.

In the end, it’s about how much chance do you want to give the 9 and above seeds. With the double bye, it makes it almost impossible for a Cinderella run to a tournament title. With as deep as our league is, I don’t think giving these lower teams a chance is such a bad thing.

Day 1:
1 v 16
4 v 13
2 v 15
3 v 14

Day 2:
5 v 12
8 v 9
6 v 11
7 v 10

Day 3
Quarterfinals

Day 4
Semifinals

Day 5
Finals

No one would have any interest in coming to KC for day one. No compelling matchups, the bottom teams mostly expect to be going home. The double bye rewards teams for performing throughout a long and brutal season by giving them a little break before the NCAAs, and ensures all the games will be more compelling to watch for everyone. It's the smartest set up.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Day 1:
1 v 16
4 v 13
2 v 15
3 v 14

Day 2:
5 v 12
8 v 9
6 v 11
7 v 10

Day 3
Quarterfinals

Day 4
Semifinals

Day 5
Finals
I'm thinking Tuesday 1st round at home sites.

8 winners advance to KC start Thursday.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018

Day 1:
1 v 16
4 v 13
2 v 15
3 v 14

Day 2:
5 v 12
8 v 9
6 v 11
7 v 10

Day 3
Quarterfinals

Day 4
Semifinals

Day 5
Finals
I like Cinderella stories for the big dance.

For conference tourneys, particularly the Big 12, I can’t get there.

NC State might do it this year and some bracketologists would have their inclusion bump Indiana State. If a team like NC State or Cincy can make it all the way from pig tails then they deserve it. No need to make it easier in a power conference.