2026 College Football Playoffs negotiations

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
The college football playoff negotiations seem critical to all the current and future realignment. But I haven't seen a lot of details about it. I know there is no TV contract in place after 2026, but is there anything in place?

Some places I've read it seems like it is just a free for all that every conference would have agree to be a part of. And Big 10 and SEC can just say no to participating. But a couple places it's said the playoff expansion in 2026 would not depend on a unanimous vote, but I have no idea what that means or what governing structure is binding past 2026.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The college football playoff negotiations seem critical to all the current and future realignment. But I haven't seen a lot of details about it. I know there is no TV contract in place after 2026, but is there anything in place?

Some places I've read it seems like it is just a free for all that every conference would have agree to be a part of. And Big 10 and SEC can just say no to participating. But a couple places it's said the playoff expansion in 2026 would not depend on a unanimous vote, but I have no idea what that means or what governing structure is binding past 2026.
They tried to extend/expand it last fall. But the ACC and PAC said no. I believe the SEC said they will do what they want when it comes time to come back to the table, and the others might not like it.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
They tried to extend/expand it last fall. But the ACC and PAC said no. I believe the SEC said they will do what they want when it comes time to come back to the table, and the others might not like it.
Wasn’t there some cheering from us then because it was a check on the SEC raising OuT?

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Wasn’t there some cheering from us then because it was a check on the SEC raising OuT?
I dont know anyone that was cheering the ACC and PAC killing the Playoff expansion, at least not in the Big 12.

Bowlsby lit up those two publicly, basically called them morons.

All it did was let the SEC and/or B1G dictate what happens to the playoff after 2026.

There is no obligation for those conferences to come back to the negotiating table on the playoff, they can 100% do their own thing if it is better for them. Sanky even said not long ago (after the playoff expansion failed) that the SEC is considering its own playoff.

Our seat at the table can just be eliminated because they decide to not negotiate with us and do their own thing or set up their own thing with the B1G after 2026, thanks to the ACC and PAC refusing to expand and extend the deal.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I dont know anyone that was cheering the ACC and PAC killing the Playoff expansion, at least not in the Big 12.

All it did was let the SEC and/or B1G dictate what happens to the playoff after 2026.

There is no obligation for those conferences to come back to the negotiating table on the playoff, they can 100% do their own thing if it is better for them. Sanky even said not long ago (after the playoff expansion failed) that the SEC is considering its own playoff.

Our seat at the table can just be eliminated because they decide to not negotiate with us and do their own thing or set up their own thing with the B1G after 2026, thanks to the ACC and PAC refusing to expand and extend the deal.
Not buying the Big10 and/or SEC can do their own or go together on a playoff and create a clear National Champ.

Seems to me, that would take us back to the pre-playoff days. There is always the potential for a Big12 or ACC team to go undefeated and muddy up the water by claiming to be the National Champ or co-champ.

Even if there is a P2, I would be very surprised if they corner the market on future NFL players. IMO with NIL it gives elite players more reason to not choose blue bloods. It also gives importance to playing early over redshirting and then sitting for a year or two.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

Really? Just a few from here.

SEC desperately wants the 12 team format and payouts, and loudly complained against a field of 8 which may have been the closest thing to consensus. My guess is that is what we get in 2026 with the SEC as the only dissenter.

Nobody trusts these **** heads after A&M spilled the beans on what they had going under the table with ESPN. They pissed off conferences, media execs, fans. They will need time to smooth things over if they want to make a run at a 12 team field later on anyway.

To me it's more about who gets auto bids and the max from an individual conference. 4 teams from the SEC out of 8 bids makes me sick.

There's no way other conferences sign off on anything that opens the door for more than 2 SEC teams.

I love anything that thwarts the SEC master plan to take over the world. B1G, Big 12, ACC and Pac need to stay unified in denying any CFP expansion unless SEC agrees to nine conference games a year. Let them add UT and OU while getting no more access to playoff spots.

Suck it SEC.

Let's discuss the Big 12 strategy. Why did we vote to approve the expansion, and then why does Bowlsby come out so publicly with his disappointment? I understand he is doing the bidding of the AD/chancellors, but I think we should have voted no with the "Alliance" of B1G, ACC, and Pac12.

Long term, we definitely want an expansion, but why cave to the SEC and vote with them at this time? Leverage would indicate you present a united front against the SEC until you get something you want. I understand the vote needs to be unanimous, so we have power to yield,

I get it that the Alliance did not initially include the Big 12, but you have to admit we were back on life support once OU and UT bailed. The Alliance decided not to prop us up and recognize us as a player. Would it not have been smart to show the Alliance we are with them and not the SEC?

Or are we just continuing to be too dumb to get out of our own way?

• Dumb
Reactions: RonBurgundy

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Not buying the Big10 and/or SEC can do their own or go together on a playoff and create a clear National Champ.

Seems to me, that would take us back to the pre-playoff days. There is always the potential for a Big12 or ACC team to go undefeated and muddy up the water by claiming to be the National Champ or co-champ.

Even if there is a P2, I would be very surprised if they corner the market on future NFL players. IMO with NIL it gives elite players more reason to not choose blue bloods. It also gives importance to playing early over redshirting and then sitting for a year or two.
Sankey’s stance is the SEC already made a concession by agreeing to expand in the first place. The SEC has never been left out of the four-team playoff. When Georgia beat Alabama in the championship game last month, it was the second time two SEC teams played for the CFP title.

But Sankey has acknowledged a bigger field could boost interest in college football nationally.

Now, he said there is no guarantee the SEC will remain supportive of expanding beyond four.

“From our perspective, we’ve given. We’re going to have to go and rethink our position based on how others have approached the conversation that, really, they initiated,” Sankey said. “And I don’t expect that to get any easier.”

https://apnews.com/article/college-...rts-football-c20bffc88444fc8f2fc33c0a857c2eef

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Yeah, I don't think anyone saw USC/UCLA to the B1G happening the way it did. At that time I was cheering for anything that would blunt the ESECPN power play on the CFP.
Understand, just reminding speedy.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Wouldn't be surprised to see the B1G and SEC push for an 8-team playoff with only 4 spots reserved for conference champions. Since they know they will get 3 teams each, they don't need a bigger playoff. The Big 12/ACC/whatever will have to go along with it or else the current 4-team system, which could turn into the B1G SEC Invitational, could stick instead.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Sankey’s stance is the SEC already made a concession by agreeing to expand in the first place. The SEC has never been left out of the four-team playoff. When Georgia beat Alabama in the championship game last month, it was the second time two SEC teams played for the CFP title.

But Sankey has acknowledged a bigger field could boost interest in college football nationally.

Now, he said there is no guarantee the SEC will remain supportive of expanding beyond four.

“From our perspective, we’ve given. We’re going to have to go and rethink our position based on how others have approached the conversation that, really, they initiated,” Sankey said. “And I don’t expect that to get any easier.”

https://apnews.com/article/college-...rts-football-c20bffc88444fc8f2fc33c0a857c2eef

Not sure I believe half of what comes out of Sankey's mouth. He was part of the working group with Bowlsby and Swarbrick that recommended a 12 team playoff. At the same time he was finalizing the deal to add OU &UT.

The playoff $ are driving realignment. The new Big10 deal is worth on average of $100M/per school over the contract. So $1.6B for all the FB, hoops,etc games. An 11 game playoff will reportedly bring in $1.5-$2.0B annually.

Sure Sankey wants a 12 team playoff, playoff games bring big $$$.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Really? Just a few from here.

Yep, I was pissed the Big 12 voted with the SEC to expand the playoffs. And I was proven correct since the slimeball SEC was already planning the OU/UT coup right under Bowlsby's nose. I am 100% confident, as any thinking person should be, that the expansion plan was a SEC/OU/UT plan. OU and UT have no desire to compete in the SEC for a spot in a 4 team CFP.

The Big 12 was ignorant for ever voting with the SEC and i am sure OU/UT lied and drove that decision. Thank god the "Alliance" voted it down and thank god idiots like Bowlsby and @simply1 were wrong.

Look what happened a short time later, SEC steals UT and OU. One of the tenets of the "Alliance" was that they promised not to poach any team. Welp, that ended quickly.

We need to always vote for our best interest and never side with the SEC. They don't give a ****.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah, I don't think anyone saw USC/UCLA to the B1G happening the way it did. At that time I was cheering for anything that would blunt the ESECPN power play on the CFP.
I have been saying that they jump to the B1G before their contract for the last few months. I am sure there are a few that know that, including our friend from Mich St.
There are several posts on here by me from before it happened that I predicted just that.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Understand, just reminding speedy.
I guess you can say cheering from people on here. But not as far as ADs and people with an actual say. Everyone that I saw and read was pretty pissed that the ACC, B1G and PAC blocked it.

Bowlsbey had some choice words for them, and I believe there were some other ADs that had some quotes as well that I cant seem to find right now.

I guess I didnt realize you meant people on here or twitter etc, sure I am sure there were people all over the spectrum on how they felt about it. But as far as an official standpoint I didnt see anyone from the Big 12 "cheering" that it was killed.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
12 team playoff, 8 spots reserved for B10/SEC teams (assuming they pull in ND/Oregon/Clemson/FSU or Miami) and 4 wild card spots.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

The BCS was getting anti trust considerations, if the P2 did it they would get slapped down quickly unless it was not considered a national championship.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

I would be much more surprised if the B1G and SEC (in cahoots with ESPN) DON'T create a playoff/championship that excludes the other 3 conferences.

If Baylor or OK St go undefeated, they will just beat their chest and say you didn't play the big boys in our conferences. They absolutely won't care. ESPN will talk about it a lot because controversy gets interest, and viewers, so it's all good for them.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I guess you can say cheering from people on here. But not as far as ADs and people with an actual say. Everyone that I saw and read was pretty pissed that the ACC, B1G and PAC blocked it.

Bowlsbey had some choice words for them, and I believe there were some other ADs that had some quotes as well that I cant seem to find right now.

I guess I didnt realize you meant people on here or twitter etc, sure I am sure there were people all over the spectrum on how they felt about it. But as far as an official standpoint I didnt see anyone from the Big 12 "cheering" that it was killed.
Yeah, when I said “from us” I mean us here on the board.

Reactions: 2speedy1

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I would be much more surprised if the B1G and SEC (in cahoots with ESPN) DON'T create a playoff/championship that excludes the other 3 conferences.

If Baylor or OK St go undefeated, they will just beat their chest and say you didn't play the big boys in our conferences. They absolutely won't care. ESPN will talk about it a lot because controversy gets interest, and viewers, so it's all good for them.
ESPN won't have power over the Big10. The Big10 would probably prefer Fox to own the playoff. My guess is the playoff will be split between a couple networks to maximize the rights fees.

Like I said, pretty doubtful the Big10/SEC will control all the elite players. Back in the 80's an undefeated BYU laid claim to National Champs behind a stud QB in Robbie Bosco.

All it would take is a stud QB like Trevor Laurence playing for a non BIG10/SEC team and the debate begins. Especially if the winner of the BIG10/SEC playoff is an underdog.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron