BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
@mtowncyclone13

Maybe a dumb question but is the basement setup for legal bedrooms with good egress windows (not just meet code but better) and exits? Asking because so many people cheat these (aka friends I know in central Iowa rural house) and it's not a safety thing to take lightly.

Full Disclosure: Acquaintance of mine died in a fire, basement bedroom at his parents house w/o egress in DSM back in the day.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I've commonly read 2.5-3x salary. Probably a bit higher if you have little/no debt and a large down payment.
I'm not trying to brag here but the wife and I have a pretty good income and there is no damn way I'm buying a house 3x our annual salaries.

We make our purchases based on budget and payment rather than the sticker price.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
No this is Love It or List It, not Shark Tank.

Would.

love-it-or-list-it.jpg

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Hey guys (and CG!), I have a dilemma and I seek your sage advice.

The facts - My wife and I bought a house for 175k last fall. Since then we've put about 15k into to for things like radon system, new water heater, new entryway tiles, and paint. Some of this is general maintenance and personal preference...don't expect to recover much if any of this. Sucks to have to do that stuff but doesn't always add to value. When we bought the house it was great for what we wanted - nice split level layout, 4 bedroom, room for band practice, 1/3 acre, and a huge garage. After our 20% down payment our monthly costs are about $1,100 which is more than manageable.

Now the bad stuff - we have two bedrooms upstairs and two down in the basement. My wife wants another baby but doesn't want our current son in the basement all alone when he gets old enough. In addition, our heating is electric which makes the basement very, very cold in the winter as the system cannot heat above about 69 degree. This means the basement is like a meat locker when we go down there or even walk by the open entryway. If we put a child down there he will freeze because the temp is about 57 degrees according to my room-by-room thermostats. And yes, we've tried every trick with vent system and space heaters.

So the question - There is a great 3,000 SF ranch (walkout basement also finished) being built down the street with an asking price of 281k. We could pick out all the finishes. 20% down would be 56k which would bring our mortgage to about $1,100/month + ins and tax and $1,700/month after tax abatement ends. This is a huge difference in monthly payments but something we can still afford. This is subjective...a lot of advice here on cost, size, etc...but really, it's what you want. If you can afford it and you like it, need it, want it...buy it. I really don't get the thought process that someone else might be able to help you understand your daily lifestyle desires??? Everyone has a different opinion. Some like to save money until they retire and some like to spend the money they make now. There isn't one way that is better than another.

To fix our current heating problem we would need to run natural gas into the utility room and buy a new furnace. This would cost about 8-10k. In addition, we have one bathroom that is halfway built (long story) but it would cost about 4-5k to do it right or 2-3k to do it quick. Looks to me like you're out similar money in any case. If you don't see yourself staying in your current home long term, why sink the money into it?

At what point do you sell the house, take the 6% commission loss, You could try selling it on your own. I recently sold a $395k house on my own and didn't pay a cent of commission. take the 15k of improvement loss, and buy the new house that has a better layout and better HVAC system or do you make a go of it in the current house. All of the work we would do would be paid in cash so there wouldn't be financing - but a new furnace doesn't solve the 3rd-bedroom-in-the-basement issue nor does the installer guarantee it will fix the drastic difference in temperatures.

I could be talked into both options: staying and making it work or taking a hit and moving. What would you guys do?

I don't view it as taking a hit. You have different needs and different wants than you did when you bought the house. My question to you is, if you didn't own a home but had the same family, which house would you entertain?

Be careful asking people questions about financial decisions unless you are prepared to hear some strong opinions. I only say that because I've been in banking for 20 years and nearly every situation is different. Everyone has a different perspective.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I don't view it as taking a hit. You have different needs and different wants than you did when you bought the house. My question to you is, if you didn't own a home but had the same family, which house would you entertain?

Be careful asking people questions about financial decisions unless you are prepared to hear some strong opinions. I only say that because I've been in banking for 20 years and nearly every situation is different. Everyone has a different perspective.

Mtown is either very brave or very stupid for asking about a housing/financial situation with real numbers on CF. :D

I suppose we should get it out of the way now and say if he can't pay cash for the new place, skip it!

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Now the bad stuff - we have two bedrooms upstairs and two down in the basement. My wife wants another baby but doesn't want our current son in the basement all alone when he gets old enough.

That's your answer right there. Sounds like you are going to be moving regardless, it just depends on when it's going to happen. Congrats/good luck!

Reactions: Cyclonic1

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
You don't have to buy that house. Sounds like the current house isn't meeting all your needs and you need to do something different, but if the house you are talking about is more than what you'd like to pay (or the "hit" you are taking by selling your house now" are financial obstacles, then find something in the middle for a price.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
I was thinking of an amish fireplace...just more electricity.

Seriously, natural gas heated house will pay dividends in the future.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
nothing wrong with using real numbers in this situation.

I don't disagree. We've both seen how these types of threads can go so I'm poking fun at you. I'm a bit with farmin in that do you need the specific house you've mentioned or can you peruse the market for a while?

I saw a different new build on zillow with an unfinished basement. I would agree that the full 3000sqft type house may be a lot for you right now. Unfinished basements are a great place to keep young kids in the winter/rainy days.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Split entry sucks and unless its in a sought after neighborhood with all splits - hard to sell. a previous realtor told us 10-20% less value on our multi - level compared to a ranch.

Moving sucks and especially if you are doing it without movers. Our family have moved 3 times in 5 years, with 2 corporate re-locations in the last 2 years.

I personally would stay since you picked this house for a reason. I like older houses (even with potential problems) since you tend to have bigger yards/trees, so you are still talking a minimal investment on something that could crap out tomorrow. Re-do the basement to fix the furnace ducts so that it will be heated.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Hey guys (and CG!), I have a dilemma and I seek your sage advice.

The facts - My wife and I bought a house for 175k last fall. Since then we've put about 15k into to for things like radon system, new water heater, new entryway tiles, and paint. When we bought the house it was great for what we wanted - nice split level layout, 4 bedroom, room for band practice, 1/3 acre, and a huge garage. After our 20% down payment our monthly costs are about $1,100 which is more than manageable.

Now the bad stuff - we have two bedrooms upstairs and two down in the basement. My wife wants another baby but doesn't want our current son in the basement all alone when he gets old enough. In addition, our heating is electric which makes the basement very, very cold in the winter as the system cannot heat above about 69 degree. This means the basement is like a meat locker when we go down there or even walk by the open entryway. If we put a child down there he will freeze because the temp is about 57 degrees according to my room-by-room thermostats. And yes, we've tried every trick with vent system and space heaters.

So the question - There is a great 3,000 SF ranch (walkout basement also finished) being built down the street with an asking price of 281k. We could pick out all the finishes. 20% down would be 56k which would bring our mortgage to about $1,100/month + ins and tax and $1,700/month after tax abatement ends. This is a huge difference in monthly payments but something we can still afford.

To fix our current heating problem we would need to run natural gas into the utility room and buy a new furnace. This would cost about 8-10k. In addition, we have one bathroom that is halfway built (long story) but it would cost about 4-5k to do it right or 2-3k to do it quick.

At what point do you sell the house, take the 6% commission loss, take the 15k of improvement loss, and buy the new house that has a better layout and better HVAC system or do you make a go of it in the current house. All of the work we would do would be paid in cash so there wouldn't be financing - but a new furnace doesn't solve the 3rd-bedroom-in-the-basement issue nor does the installer guarantee it will fix the drastic difference in temperatures.

I could be talked into both options: staying and making it work or taking a hit and moving. What would you guys do?

Like the old saying goes, real estate opinions are like ********......everyone has one.

Sounds like you made an error on the current home or it has failed to work for you.

It's not my money so it's easy for me to tell you to take your lumps and upgrade, but only if you plan on staying at the new place long term. Long term will wash away the losses and let you eat the sunk cost of selling the old.

But you did buy this current place for a reason. Location, schools, safe neighborhood, etc. I'm sure you didn't make a mistake there.

This is a decision to be made with your heart and family in mind. Keep the Mrs happy. Wives kill every good financial plan anyway

• Winner
Reactions: Gunnerclone

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I try to keep my monthly payment below 25% of my TAKE HOME pay. The bank will generally lend up to 33% of your pre-tax income, assume you have good credit.

You can get programs much higher than 33% of your gross pay.

25% of take home pay??? Ahhh.....sometimes I miss the homeland