***#3 Iowa State vs. #20 Illinois (Sunday, noon)/B&B***

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
125- A. Solid effort from Caleb, and guessing that might be his last match of the year for varsity. Fun to get a big win in OT in front of that crowd! He filled in admirably this season when called upon, and you could never question his effort.

133- D. Byrd is a really good wrestler, don't get me wrong, but Zach seemed slow today and Byrd just manhandled him. Redding has been very up and down this season, let's hope we get a good cut Zach on Wednesday because we will need him to pull out a W if we want to win the dual.

141-A. A dominating performance from Casey in a match that wasn't as close as the 10-7 score indicated. He was shouting "I'm back" as his hand was being raised, and if he gets that swagger back, look out. Even if he beats Hart, not sure he will earn an allocation, but he's not going to be a guy the top seeds will want to face in March.

149- B. Great 3rd period from Paniro, but he should've majored that kid. If he had hit some of those combo shots in the 1st and 2nd, he would've gotten a major pretty easy. But, a major step in the right direction from Friday night.

157- B-. He had Carr gassed and kept sticking with it after a disaster of a 1st period. He needs to have better starts to matches and start firing some shots off. Right now he is solely relying on scrambling or getting funk takedowns. Even with 11 seconds left and down 2, he didn't take a shot. You can never question Kraisser's effort, but he needs to be able to hit an outside single or have a go-to leg attack and stop relying on getting funk takedowns.

165- A. David dominated a guy he was supposed to. Wish he could've got the tech, but I will settle for a 14 point major. Biggggg match Wednesday.

174- B. I liked how Julien wrestled, and he was more active than he had been recently. He was never really close to getting a takedown, but had solid mat wrestling and kept coming after Ruth. Solid match from Julien.

184- A+. Teching a ranked kid is not easy, but Marcus made it look easy. Thank you for being a Cyclone Marcus, I'll miss watching you wrestle in Hilton!

197- C. Braunagel is a tough guy to score on, and Yonger needed to finish better early in the match. He looked off, and played right into Braunagel's game plan. The fact that Braunagel did not give up a stalling point in that match was ridiculous, but that's not an excuse for Yonger losing. Hopefully a good learning moment and he comes back ready to go on Wednesday.

Hwt- B. Not Sammy's best match, but a solid win. Similar to Marcus, I will miss watching Sammy wrestle in Hilton and wish we had him for more than the 2 years we did. Big match Wednesday and a revenge opportunity with taking on Elam.

Overall, pleased with this weekends performance. Crowd was awesome at Hilton and was loud throughout the dual! This season flew by, but can't wait to see how the team finishes up Wednesday and then in March.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
125- A. Solid effort from Caleb, and guessing that might be his last match of the year for varsity. Fun to get a big win in OT in front of that crowd! He filled in admirably this season when called upon, and you could never question his effort.

133- D. Byrd is a really good wrestler, don't get me wrong, but Zach seemed slow today and Byrd just manhandled him. Redding has been very up and down this season, let's hope we get a good cut Zach on Wednesday because we will need him to pull out a W if we want to win the dual.

141-A. A dominating performance from Casey in a match that wasn't as close as the 10-7 score indicated. He was shouting "I'm back" as his hand was being raised, and if he gets that swagger back, look out. Even if he beats Hart, not sure he will earn an allocation, but he's not going to be a guy the top seeds will want to face in March.

149- B. Great 3rd period from Paniro, but he should've majored that kid. If he had hit some of those combo shots in the 1st and 2nd, he would've gotten a major pretty easy. But, a major step in the right direction from Friday night.

157- B-. He had Carr gassed and kept sticking with it after a disaster of a 1st period. He needs to have better starts to matches and start firing some shots off. Right now he is solely relying on scrambling or getting funk takedowns. Even with 11 seconds left and down 2, he didn't take a shot. You can never question Kraisser's effort, but he needs to be able to hit an outside single or have a go-to leg attack and stop relying on getting funk takedowns.

165- A. David dominated a guy he was supposed to. Wish he could've got the tech, but I will settle for a 14 point major. Biggggg match Wednesday.

174- B. I liked how Julien wrestled, and he was more active than he had been recently. He was never really close to getting a takedown, but had solid mat wrestling and kept coming after Ruth. Solid match from Julien.

184- A+. Teching a ranked kid is not easy, but Marcus made it look easy. Thank you for being a Cyclone Marcus, I'll miss watching you wrestle in Hilton!

197- C. Braunagel is a tough guy to score on, and Yonger needed to finish better early in the match. He looked off, and played right into Braunagel's game plan. The fact that Braunagel did not give up a stalling point in that match was ridiculous, but that's not an excuse for Yonger losing. Hopefully a good learning moment and he comes back ready to go on Wednesday.

Hwt- B. Not Sammy's best match, but a solid win. Similar to Marcus, I will miss watching Sammy wrestle in Hilton and wish we had him for more than the 2 years we did. Big match Wednesday and a revenge opportunity with taking on Elam.

Overall, pleased with this weekends performance. Crowd was awesome at Hilton and was loud throughout the dual! This season flew by, but can't wait to see how the team finishes up Wednesday and then in March.
Only thing I would disagree with would be Broderson. There’s no sense of urgency imo when he gets to the last minute of matches like that.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Only thing I would disagree with would be Broderson. There’s no sense of urgency imo when he gets to the last minute of matches like that.
Yeah, he needs to get better. I just think he was better today than the last few weeks. Still lots of room to improve

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

He's not ranked (CR), has a win% below .500 (5-7), and doesn't currently have enough matches to be eligible for RPI.

He'd have to win Wednesday and go 3-0 or 4-0 at LCO, and even then he's probably on the outside. With his schedule, he might get in the top 28 of RPI. Can't get to a .700 Win%, and likely isn't going to be in the CR top 28 with an 8-7 or 9-7 record.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Also, I had to calm down multiple people around me after David celebrated the way he did. Multiple people where like “is he done? Was that his last match in Hilton?!”

I said no. He just loves to work the crowd.

Reactions: NWICY

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Also, I had to calm down multiple people around me after David celebrated the way he did. Multiple people where like “is he done? Was that his last match in Hilton?!”

I said no. He just loves to work the crowd.
Plus the backflip was a nod to the gymnasts. He’ll be back next year (plus he didn’t go through senior day stuff a couple weeks ago)

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
He's not ranked (CR), has a win% below .500 (5-7), and doesn't currently have enough matches to be eligible for RPI.

He'd have to win Wednesday and go 3-0 or 4-0 at LCO, and even then he's probably on the outside. With his schedule, he might get in the top 28 of RPI. Can't get to a .700 Win%, and likely isn't going to be in the CR top 28 with an 8-7 or 9-7 record.
I think he could definitely be in the CR if he beats Hart. That would be 3 solid wins and for the most part only good losses.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
You don’t realize how stupid you are
Lots of thin skinned Alice’s on this board. Everybody gets a trophy and never be critical of anything for fear of hurting feelings.
If that’s you. Put me on ignore as others said.
I love this team and I love YB. He has to be better. Work through adversity.
I expect him to come back with a vengeance because he expects better of himself.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Thank you! That poster is exactly what I stated. He clearly doesn’t pay attention. To call that loss embarrassing is embarrassing in and of itself. Yonger needs to win that match, but sometimes that **** happens against a solid opponent.
Accepting a loss to a “solid” opponent that is clearly inferior to YB is weak. Of course those things happen. Remember David Carr last year? Same thing. Think David was pissed and embarrassed he lost that match? I do. It’s fueling him this year.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Accepting a loss to a “solid” opponent that is clearly inferior to YB is weak. Of course those things happen. Remember David Carr last year? Same thing. Think David was pissed and embarrassed he lost that match? I do. It’s fueling him this year.

Have you ever wrestled? I’m genuinely curious

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Yonger was very winded. Personally think he beats that guy if they meet up again. Beyond that he never got the opportunity to score later in the match because the guy was stalling IMHO.

Redding just had nothing today at all.

Beyond excited along with everyone there to see Casey get it done.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
mine keeps cutting out. have to refresh constantly to try to get it to come back. Announcer said at one point they are having ethernet issues at Hilton. So I think it is tech issues there not through the website/app itself.
I can tell you what the issue was - I was across the aisle from the seats directly under the radio guys .Somehow , the cord that was powering them which was directly behind those seats , kept coming loose , at one point it came all the way unplugged for a couple of minutes. True story .

• Informative
Reactions: 2speedy1

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I can tell you what the issue was - I was across the aisle from the seats directly under the radio guys .Somehow , the cord that was powering them which was directly behind those seats , kept coming loose , at one point it came all the way unplugged for a couple of minutes. True story .
I wondered if something was happening like that. I wondered what the hell was going on up there.