3-point Defense

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I'm not a smart man but I have eyes. My eyes tell me that we suck at dribble penitration defense so the team over compensates with help defense which leaves open players and holes. But we also lack enthusiasm in run outs as well. Numerous times I've seen players give the oh well defense with a player taking a wide open shot. I don't have your fancy numbers to back what I'm seeing but again I'm not smart enough to know what to do with them if I had them.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm not a smart man but I have eyes. My eyes tell me that we suck at dribble penitration defense so the team over compensates with help defense which leaves open players and holes. But we also lack enthusiasm in run outs as well. Numerous times I've seen players give the oh well defense with a player taking a wide open shot. I don't have your fancy numbers to back what I'm seeing but again I'm not smart enough to know what to do with them if I had them.

Yeah general observation tells me ISU's players watch opponents shoot threes kind of a lot.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006

That is more or less where I landed in my last article.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I made a point of specifically watching the defense last Saturday. I came to the conclusion that playing good defense isn't difficult, but it is hard work. Good defense is also part anticipation, and part knowing tendencies.

Of course, switching - as the Cyclones do, often - tends to ruin whatever "book" you have in your mind about your opponents' tendencies. Then instinct takes over, and keeping good position and denying are what makes a good defender.

I submit that our lack of defending dribble penetration is due mainly to laziness....not that our players are lazy, but they likely don't contribute the same effort as they would on the offensive end.

From what I saw, Beard's players are buying what he's selling. They almost always are where they are supposed to be, and continually anticipate a player's move and counter it. This is tough both physically and mentally, but it's how teams play winning defense.

The secondary problem ISU has on defense is players' overreaction to dribble penetration, and the result is almost always a dunk, or a wide open jump shot. These are things that have to be practiced over and over until they are second nature.....but the players have to want to do it, too.

Just my 2 cents.....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I made a point of specifically watching the defense last Saturday. I came to the conclusion that playing good defense isn't difficult, but it is hard work. Good defense is also part anticipation, and part knowing tendencies.

Of course, switching - as the Cyclones do, often - tends to ruin whatever "book" you have in your mind about your opponents' tendencies. Then instinct takes over, and keeping good position and denying are what makes a good defender.

I submit that our lack of defending dribble penetration is due mainly to laziness....not that our players are lazy, but they likely don't contribute the same effort as they would on the offensive end.

From what I saw, Beard's players are buying what he's selling. They almost always are where they are supposed to be, and continually anticipate a player's move and counter it. This is tough both physically and mentally, but it's how teams play winning defense.

The secondary problem ISU has on defense is players' overreaction to dribble penetration, and the result is almost always a dunk, or a wide open jump shot. These are things that have to be practiced over and over until they are second nature.....but the players have to want to do it, too.

Just my 2 cents.....

I think you are right on the money my friend...I asked Dolph Pulliam one time, how he was able to get so many charging calls on the guy he was guarding...His reply was that he anticipated where they were going and got there first to take the charging calls....Dolph was probably the greatest defensive forward ever to play for the Drake Bulldogs...and remember GO Cyclones

Reactions: SCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron