~ 3 Tornado Warnings!!! ~ current weather!

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Why are there no sirens? I heard some an hour ago, but there are sightings now, but I'm not hearing sirens?

It is very rare that the sirens are blown for the duration of a warning. There have been two warning statements for your area, and if they occurred close enough, one ring should be sufficient. When IC got hit a few years back, they blew the horn twice, for the warnings were about 15 minutes apart. In this case tonight, they were pretty close.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Why are there no sirens? I heard some an hour ago, but there are sightings now, but I'm not hearing sirens?

It is possible that power has been knocked out to the siren and the system it uses to trigger the siren.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Don't know. With a tornadic circulation so close at night they should be wailing. :confused:

I would have thought so too. The one time the siren went off was well before we were in a warning. Mediacom is down right now, but the local radio stations are on, so I'm not sure about a power outage.

For the question about the Family Video area, I'm north two miles northeast of there and we haven't had more than a few sprinkles here. Should be fine there.

Last edited:

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
If you are living near Dows & Hampton, it might be time to fill the water bottle and find the flashlight.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
The storm is starting to move slightly to the north and east. Breathing a small sigh of relief.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Through the course of this thread, you are in the clear, FD. For now, anyways. Round 2 will see you in about 40 minutes.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Tornado warning for Grundy county. Headed to the basement.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Balls my front yard is a lake! I'd believe the 2-4 inch call.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Poked my head out for a minute and caught the wind going from still to brisk along with about a ten degree temperature drop. That's never a good thing. I wish the cable would come back on. Listening to local radio hacks attempt weather coverage is painful. Do they just make stuff up when they aren't sure of the right answer?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Anyone notice that you never hear about tornadoes ripping through the heart of the big cities in tornado alley? You never hear about Des Moines, Omaha, KC, Tulsa, Wichita, OK City or DFW just getting demolished by a twister. It's always rural areas/smaller towns.

Is that because it's just a coincidence, and the area is mostly rural? Is it because large cities generate considerable heat, which kind of acts as a shield or something? Is it because large cities are on rivers? I'm just not sure.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Anyone notice that you never hear about tornadoes ripping through the heart of the big cities in tornado alley? You never hear about Des Moines, Omaha, KC, Tulsa, Wichita, OK City or DFW just getting demolished by a twister. It's always rural areas/smaller towns.

Is that because it's just a coincidence, and the area is mostly rural? Is it because large cities generate considerable heat, which kind of acts as a shield or something? Is it because large cities are on rivers? I'm just not sure.

its the heat from the concrete that keeps them away. that's why 2 years ago when the Georgia Dome in ATL was hit during the SEC basketball championship was such a shocker.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009

There is no exact science. I lean towards the fact that when a tornado touches down, it is more likely to be in a rural setting compared to a big city due to the odds appropriated with the fact that there are many more chances to drop in rural settings than cities. Rural space>Urban centers=More rural tornadic activity.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
its the heat from the concrete that keeps them away. that's why 2 years ago when the Georgia Dome in ATL was hit during the SEC basketball championship was such a shocker.

Unproven, although very well could contribute.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
This was what I've suspected the most. There's been a lot of chances for these larger cities to get hit, and it never happens. Almost has to be more than a coincidence.

KC, Omaha, Houston, Atlanta, etc etc have all been hit directly by tornados in my lifetime. In 1999, a tornado went through downtown Salt Lake City.

I still go with the theory that an extremely higher % of rural land over urban centers increases the rural land's odds of getting hit.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Warmer air above big cities divert the storms some.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
KC, Omaha, Houston, Atlanta, etc etc have all been hit directly by tornados in my lifetime. In 1999, a tornado went through downtown Salt Lake City.

I still go with the theory that an extremely higher % of rural land over urban centers increases the rural land's odds of getting hit.

Downtown KC and Omaha were hit?

I could see suburban fringes, but I'm talking like Parkersburg-esque devastation through the middle of a large city. Has THAT ever happened? I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.