30 for 30: OJ: Made in America

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I was born in 1987, so watching this has been interesting to me. I was old enough to remember the Bronco chase and the verdict, but the details went over my head. I had no sense of the racial divide this all caused. It's been especially interesting to me because I've grown up just thinking everyone assumed he was guilty. I guess I never knew there was such a sentiment in the African-American community that he had been set-up. Also, the personalities at play in this whole thing is awesome to revisit. What a cast of characters.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I was born in 1987, so watching this has been interesting to me. I was old enough to remember the Bronco chase and the verdict, but the details went over my head. I had no sense of the racial divide this all caused. It's been especially interesting to me because I've grown up just thinking everyone assumed he was guilty. I guess I never knew there was such a sentiment in the African-American community that he had been set-up. Also, the personalities at play in this whole thing is awesome to revisit. What a cast of characters.

Wait until they show the African-American women in the battered women's shelter cheering the verdict....

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
The interesting thing to me is how many people are still mad about OK getting off but aren't mad about the miscarriage of justice with Rodney King and Latosha Harland

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
All I really knew of OJ was from the murder on. Seeing him in his college, NFL and movie rules, and knowing what he turned into, I would bet both my testicles that OJ has CTE.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The stuff about the glove and arthritis is amazing. The things basically fit.

Also the lawyer that dissuaded the fact that his blood was there, and pointed out tampering, looks evil.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I've been traveling for a while but have my DVR recording all of them at home. I caught a bit of the 3rd episode last night. I truly cannot believe the cops covered Nicole's body with a blanket from inside the house. None of the responding units had a tarp or something like that to use? Terrible police work in securing the crime scene and preventing contamination, even for 20 years ago.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Those crime scene photos of the neck of Nicole and Ron......wow.

I'd like some more of the Marcus Allen and Nicole story, that was all new to me.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
OJ had this very dark side to him, and when he got angry and flipped that switch, anyone in his path had better watch out.

It truly is amazing though that he got 33 years for the armed robbery. That was a total make up ruling for the justice system screwing up and letting him off the hook for Nicole and Ron's murder..... no question.

But he needs to be behind bars. He's much too dangerous to be in public.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I am through episode 4 now. I'll preface this while I think OJ did it, seeing the evidence of the sloppy crime scene work (1. touching evidence with no gloves, 2.covering bodies with blankets from Nicole's apt. and 3. Taking the viles of blood back to the crime scene) would have cast a lot of doubt in my mind about the DNA evidence. Then throw in that there was no blood on the gate of OJ's house and then 3 weeks later there was. Furman was just the icing on the cake, you can't believe anything he says. So like I said above I think OJ did it, but if I am on the jury there is reasonable doubt and I couldn't vote to convict.

I also forgot how much Goldman's dad annoyed and still does annoy me.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I am through episode 4 now. I'll preface this while I think OJ did it, seeing the evidence of the sloppy crime scene work (1. touching evidence with no gloves, 2.covering bodies with blankets from Nicole's apt. and 3. Taking the viles of blood back to the crime scene) would have cast a lot of doubt in my mind about the DNA evidence. Then throw in that there was no blood on the gate of OJ's house and then 3 weeks later there was. Furman was just the icing on the cake, you can't believe anything he says. So like I said above I think OJ did it, but if I am on the jury there is reasonable doubt and I couldn't vote to convict.

yep, after reading the Jeffrey Toobin book (the fx series was based on it), I could finally see why he was aquitted. The prosecution mistakes coupled with the atmosphere in LA made it easier for the jury to find reasonable doubt.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Agree 100% The prosecution and police made a TON of mistakes. The biggest one was Garcetti using the case that he assumed was a slam dunk win to further his political career. OJ would of been convicted in probably 95% of the courtrooms in America, but he choose to have it in downtown LA, just 2 years after the Rodney King incident.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

DNA was pretty new at the time, so I would get being skeptical but I think the Jury faced overwhelming evidence and got caught up in the "Dream Team's" ability to lie convincingly and distract from the evidence.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
DNA was pretty new at the time, so I would get being skeptical but I think the Jury faced overwhelming evidence and got caught up in the "Dream Team's" ability to lie convincingly and distract from the evidence.

The show was great, but it's almost impossible to show just how much junk the defense threw out there. A complete and epic snow job

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
More than anything, this case to me showed how difficult it can be to prosecute someone if the defendant has enough $$$ to hire the right legal team. There is probably reasonable doubt in 90% of murder cases, particularly if the defense can get the right jury to sympathize with the defendant. Johnny Cochran and the rest of the defense team were able to handcuff the prosecution and manipulate their way through this trial. They were one step ahead the whole way.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
A few observations:

The one juror admitted that her vote was all about getting back for Rodney King. The case lasted 9 months and the jury took 4 hours to come back with a decision. I really don't think there was anything the prosecution could have put in front of this jury to prosecute him.

It seemed crazy to me that every African American they showed was ecstatic about Simpson getting off. At first it annoyed me a little but the more I thought about it the more I realized that I've never been put in the kind of situation that a lot of African Americans have been put into for their whole life. The down side is that OJ was about as "black" as Carlton Banks. A few of the lawyers made me ill when they talked about things they did to play the race card but it worked for them. I felt bad for Chris Darden.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
A few observations:

The one juror admitted that her vote was all about getting back for Rodney King. The case lasted 9 months and the jury took 4 hours to come back with a decision. I really don't think there was anything the prosecution could have put in front of this jury to prosecute him.

It seemed crazy to me that every African American they showed was ecstatic about Simpson getting off. At first it annoyed me a little but the more I thought about it the more I realized that I've never been put in the kind of situation that a lot of African Americans have been put into for their whole life. The down side is that OJ was about as "black" as Carlton Banks. A few of the lawyers made me ill when they talked about things they did to play the race card but it worked for them. I felt bad for Chris Darden.

Marcia Clark would agree with that, she knew they couldn't win.

denmyster21

Aug 20, 2014
Pella
Amazing to me that more was not made of his former agent stating that OJ told him that Nicole would still be alive if she hadn't come to the door with a knife in her hand (or something like that)...

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
anyone else remembering the glove "fitting" as being a lot different than what actually happened? In my mind I remembered it barely on his hand, but they still basically fit. Even with the big show OJ put on for the jury, I thought it was crazy to believe they couldn't be his with how close they were to fitting.