306,000 alumni could turn the tide

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Boy I wish I could find an employer that paid for my housing, all my food, gave me access to athletic trainers and personal health coaches and dieticians, gave me a wardrobe of branded clothes, my pick of Nike footwear, and tutors to help me through my work and that is BEFORE they pay me my salary.

And all of the 'perks' that were already happening before athletes got to campus for decades everywhere.

Occasionally I'll be able to spot a UW athlete when driving through the campus area because they are head to toe in new crazy swag including shoes and backpack. It's other level stuff.

Reactions: isufbcurt

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
And all of the 'perks' that were already happening before athletes got to campus for decades everywhere.

Occasionally I'll be able to spot a UW athlete when driving through the campus area because they are head to toe in new crazy swag including shoes and backpack. It's other level stuff.

Not to mention a network that basically comes built-in by being a FB or BB player.

Reactions: NWICY and isufbcurt

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I'll repeat again: even if ISU raises as much as possible, it will still not be as much as others. Ever.

Aren't athletes still coming to ISU even though they're not getting as much as others?

I know NIL would be involved in next year's highly rated bball recruiting class...but even now those players had chances to get more at other places.
This logic ignores simple economics. Of course you want to have players that want to be at Iowa State and there are probably some that will come no matter what. But if on the fence and the money is much better, it will swing decisions.
Some people stay in jobs out of momentum and loyalty. Others move if the money is much better. Ignoring money as a factor makes no sense.

Also, I’m not sure anyone likes “NIL” in its’ current form. But it is how it goes right now. Complaining about it doesn’t change it. Not giving because you don’t like it doesn’t make it go away.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This logic ignores simple economics. Of course you want to have players that want to be at Iowa State and there are probably some that will come no matter what. But if on the fence and the money is much better, it will swing decisions.
Some people stay in jobs out of momentum and loyalty. Others move if the money is much better. Ignoring money as a factor makes no sense.

Also, I’m not sure anyone likes “NIL” in its’ current form. But it is how it goes right now. Complaining about it doesn’t change it. Not giving because you don’t like it doesn’t make it go away.

You're projecting and ignoring what I'm saying.

Money is a factor. It's always been a factor. Always will be. ISU has always been behind other schools in this and if they had a bump in NIL money, the other schools will just increase theirs.

ISU bball still has a top ten recruiting class coming in despite NIL. Football's recruiting has been steady. Are you ignoring that?

Reactions: pourcyne

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
No, not at all. We do a fantastic job and will never be the biggest spender. However, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to help our athletes and our athletic department be successful in the current circumstances.
I believe NIL will be reined in during the next few years. Trying to prevent issues in the interim.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No, not at all. We do a fantastic job and will never be the biggest spender. However, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to help our athletes and our athletic department be successful in the current circumstances.
I believe NIL will be reined in during the next few years. Trying to prevent issues in the interim.

Right now on 247 men's bball is ranked #4 recruiting.

So far they're doing pretty well in the interim.

• Winner

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

What “issues” would those be?

• Winner

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
Boy I wish I could find an employer that paid for my housing, all my food, gave me access to athletic trainers and personal health coaches and dieticians, gave me a wardrobe of branded clothes, my pick of Nike footwear, and tutors to help me through my work and that is BEFORE they pay me my salary.
Not that you need my approval, Bash NIL all you want. The current use of it is despicable. I know I've thumbed up more than a few posts that point out how wrong it has been twisted.

But I'm not sure you fully grasp the commitment student athletes make. Athletes arent the only students that get full scholarships. Yes, it is their choice to accept the scholarship. But to flippantly disregard the hours and effort they put in to represent their (our) university is disrespectful.

And prior to NIL, they had to jump through hurdles to even get paid summer jobs to put money in their checking account to pay their bills. Heaven forbid they borrow a minivan to get to practice while their car is in the shop.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not that you need my approval, Bash NIL all you want. The current use of it is despicable. I know I've thumbed up more than a few posts that point out how wrong it has been twisted.

But I'm not sure you fully grasp the commitment student athletes make. Athletes arent the only students that get full scholarships. Yes, it is their choice to accept the scholarship. But to flippantly disregard the hours and effort they put in to represent their (our) university is disrespectful.

And prior to NIL, they had to jump through hurdles to even get paid summer jobs to put money in their checking account to pay their bills. Heaven forbid they borrow a minivan to get to practice while their car is in the shop.

This feels like a post from the late 80’s lol.

Reactions: Tailg8er

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

What bills would a student athlete on a full ride have?

• Winner

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Just wondering if anyone on here was a scholarship athlete in D1.
Sure seems like a lot of opinions of the sacrifices they make and hardships they endure.

Reactions: Tailg8er

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
What bills would a student athlete on a full ride have?
Cell phone
Gas
Movies tickets
Beer
Spotify subscription
Possibly interent/cable depending on where they live.
Condoms
Car payments
Insurance
Restaurants
****, I don't remember all the stupid **** I spent my money on 25 years ago.

• Dumb

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

That's not true at all. In fact there was a coach in charge of helping us who stayed around for the summer find summer jobs if we wanted them.

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
Sure seems like a lot of opinions of the sacrifices they make and hardships they endure.
I wasn't. I had several on my dorm floor when i was there. My daughter is (was) a d2 athlete.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Cell phone
Gas
Movies tickets
Beer
Spotify subscription
Condoms
Car payments
Insurance
Restaurants

So like, the same thing as every other student struggles with, just without someone to do a lot of heavy lifting with the actual school work?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Cell phone
Gas
Movies tickets
Beer
Spotify subscription
Condoms
Car payments
Insurance
Restaurants

Most of these guys are also on Pell Grants that puts actual money in their pockets. Not to mention the NCAA Student Athlete Clothing Assistance Fund which gives them money to buy clothes.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and GoldCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

You think this is how it was going?

• Winner

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yes, the physical work they put in on top of other responsibilities is a lot. Same with coaches (hours working etc.).

But financially when were they in a bad spot?

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
So like, the same thing as every other student struggles with, just without someone to do a lot of heavy lifting with the actual school work?
Yeah! **** those athletes and the horse they rode in on! They better ******* perform on Saturday or I'll never let them live it down!

That's the spirit!

• Dumb
Reactions: dosry5