306,000 alumni could turn the tide

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I would gladly help isaiih Lee in his family situation, but I can't write a check to Isaiah Lee can I. That's not how the NIL works! This to me and many is a lot of the problem.
So what? Give up?

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I’m 31, not extremely wealthy. Still have student debt.
I set aside a small amount of money on entertainment every month. Usually that involves small dollar 5 to 10 dollar sports gambling bets.
I ended up + 430 last year, so I gave 100 to WEWILL.
Have a future on UCONN to win the Natty for 10 dollars to turn into 160. I’ll be donating 75 of that to WEWILL as well if they win.

I guess I view the money I get from sports gambling as not really my money in the first place so it’s easy for me to donate.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would gladly help isaiih Lee in his family situation, but I can't write a check to Isaiah Lee can I. That's not how the NIL works! This to me and many is a lot of the problem.
Start a tiny business and have him be your spokesman. Or have him make a shirt and buy them for a stupid high price.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I was just at PetSmart. They have an option once you're ready to pay to round up your total to the nearest dollar for a donation to a non-profit. I was thinking ISU should do this for businesses in Iowa (specifically central Iowa obviously). It's all optional...no one has to donate. But I find I do either round up or add X amount to donate more often than not. Hy-Vee does the same thing up here.

Here’s my issue with that: The retailer is taking customer funds and making a donation in the name of the retailer. It pisses me off.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
In my ideal world, the TV money and tickets sold would simply pay the players. That is way simpler than having to have collectives pay for the faux NIL that we currently have.

Reactions: CYdTracked

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
As the OP pointed out, a lot of small donations add up.

$57 to join the Alumni association.

$100 to be in the Cyclone Century club.

10,000 new contributions raises the athletic department budget by $1M/year.

Maybe that's how Ole Miss and MSU are doing it?
By asking their fans to contribute to their collectives instead of their Alumni Association or athletic department?

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
In my ideal world, the TV money and tickets sold would simply pay the players. That is way simpler than having to have collectives pay for the faux NIL that we currently have.
I agree with you. That would be ideal. And we might get there ultimately. However, that is not where we are at now. If we don’t give in the interim, we may find ourselves unsuccessful on the field and ultimately in the Minor leagues.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I agree with you. That would be ideal. And we might get there ultimately. However, that is not where we are at now. If we don’t give in the interim, we may find ourselves unsuccessful on the field and ultimately in the Minor leagues.
Fear mongering at its finest.

"If you don't give 5 bucks now it's your fault we end up in the MAC 10 years from now".

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Fear mongering at its finest.

"If you don't give 5 bucks now it's your fault we end up in the MAC 10 years from now".
No, you give or don’t give - your choice. But, I do believe the next couple years are critical until this whole thing sorts out.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The ones that are true name, image and likeness aren't collectives collecting donor money and just giving it out.

CF selling merchandise is NIL.
Companies hiring an athlete as a spokesperson is NIL.

Livvy Dunne is NIL.

Reactions: Tailg8er

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
And the rest of us will try to keep the program successful so you can enjoy it. Say thanks.
Why would I thank you? I think the current system and the movement towards paying players is kind of bad for college sports. So you’re ruining college sports

Edit: “you’re ruining college sports” is intentionally hyperbolic. But I’m not really a fan of nil in general and the way it currently is implemented in particular. It also feels like college football is basically becoming NFL-lite which has diminished my enjoyment. So the idea that I should thank you for donating to NIL when I don’t like NIL is dumb.

Plus, this holier than thou attitude of “if you don’t donate to NIL collectives than you aren’t nearly as good of a fan and you should be thanking us” is also dumb

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron