306,000 alumni could turn the tide

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I appreciate the point you're trying to make, but you're being WAY too defensive about it. I donate monthly to We Will but completely understand others don't want to or can't. That doesn't make them worse fans or less passionate.

And I still think the idea that half of all ISU alumni could be potential donors is horrifically off. I bet two thirds of alumni couldn't tell you the head football coach's name. I think a super optimistic number may be 5% of the alumni. So, using the 306k you started with (I know there's been a ton of discussion about the validity of that number, but humor me) and the $5 per week you proposed originally that still creates just shy of $4,000,000 which would still be an amazing windfall for out NIL.

Your point is valid, you just needed to be more realistic about assumptions and not be a **** to anyone pushing back.

Not defensive. Just matching tone

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I’m a real fan, and a real alum. I want our players to want to be Cyclones. I’d rather be 4-8 with a bunch of try hard die hards than 7-6 with a bunch of paid actors.
Fair enough. I don’t want millionaire players either. Just want to compete for at least the level we currently have into the future.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
If there as many bowl games in the 80s as now ISU would have gone to three and were close to a couple more winning seasons. Even in the 'good' decades there were some seriously bad seasons in there. The 90s was officially bottoming out.

What's happening imo is some are treating it like ISU just needs to raise more money like the other schools aren't doing the same that have always had a financial advantage.

If ISU was generally lower in their ability to keep up financially prior to all of this, how does that change compared to other schools doing the same thing now?
So u stay even and don't fall behind.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
This is exactly my mentality too. Kudos to those of you who can afford to give to the collective and feel like you are making a difference. I would much rather invest my money in my own kid's college 529 accounts so they can eventually afford college as they sure as hell won't be getting full ride athletic scholarships and NIL deal. I also prefer to give to other charitable organizations that make an impact on lives of people that maybe struggle to put food on the table or even pay the bills to keep the lights and heat on, etc. I don't see college athletes starving because they aren't being fed or clothed so its a personal preference that I see my hard earned money used in ways that have more of an impact on someone's life.

I enjoy winning and attending ISU games and the price to do that keeps going up as well but my values and priorities on where I feel my money is best used at is my choice and I am not going to tell someone else how to use their money just like I don't want to be given a sales pitch or shamed for having the mentality that my money could be used for more good causes than a NIL collective. At the end of the day it's still just a game and sport and if my happiness in life is dependent on how competitive ISU is then I probably need to reevaluate my priorities.
Sounds rational. However, without fan support and givers to the NCC, you will enter a death spirial. Can't survive on TV money alone. Now add NIL money.

I choose to take the death spirial off the table.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
And the rest of us will try to keep the program successful so you can enjoy it. Say thanks.
You understand that you are talking to a season ticket holder in curt. Each ticket curt has is 600 bucks to the athletic department. That doesn't include donation, parking pass, any concessions or merchandise that curt may purchase at games. I belive he also has basketball tickets, I don't know how much they are, but I can safely assume that curt pops a few grand just right there.

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
I don't think I'm hijackings this since everything has been restated and repeated 10 times.
A couple responses have mentioned donating to the alumni association.
Why would you donate to the AA?
What does the AA do besides fronting for tourism trips and selling directories.
Their budget used to be published and seems like 90% was employee expense.
If I'm not mistaken, "Active alumni" and the demographics of the alumni also feeds into equations that may be used for comparing universities or conferences. Such as age, state of residence, amount of giving, and quite possibly **** sizes.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I get you were trying to help, and pointing out that small contributions can make a difference to the cause you support is fine…but you can at least understand why others might not be interested, right?

I mean, I know we can point to nice stories where NIL helped a kid that didn’t have basic stuff we all feel we should have to live. But I’m sure we can find other kids on campus facing the same struggles, but they may not already be getting a full ride, good stipend, etc. And just maybe they’re going into a field that does more to help the world than playing basketball does.

I love sports, but we’re getting a little out of balance here. And honestly I know this isn’t going to be a popular take, but we weren’t exactly competing for national championships up to this point. If the sky falls, and we get demoted to the MAC, I’ll still cheer for the Cyclones and hope we beat Bowling Green.
Not national championships, just elite eights, #2 in cross country, top 10 in tennis, top ten in wrestling, top ten in track, Fiesta bowl, top 32 in volleyball, etc.

I would rather be trying at this level then losing to Bowling Green.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
You understand that you are talking to a season ticket holder in curt. Each ticket curt has is 600 bucks to the athletic department. That doesn't include donation, parking pass, any concessions or merchandise that curt may purchase at games. I belive he also has basketball tickets, I don't know how much they are, but I can safely assume that curt pops a few grand just right there.
Great. Good for him. I don’t live close enough to have the ability to go to games all the time. I watch from afar on TV for virtually free. I think this is a great use of my money and feel great about giving. Hoping others will too. The original post was just hoping 1/2 of the alumni would give $5 a week and projecting what that would do. I assumed half wouldn’t and due to my situation, I give a high multiple of that $5 a week. Just tired of the attitude directed at a pretty normal post by a group of people who seem to have enough money to participate in this forum.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Great. Good for him. I don’t live close enough to have the ability to go to games all the time. I watch from afar on TV for virtually free. I think this is a great use of my money and feel great about giving. Hoping others will too. The original post was just hoping 1/2 of the alumni would give $5 a week and projecting what that would do. I assumed half wouldn’t and due to my situation, I give a high multiple of that $5 a week. Just tired of the attitude directed at a pretty normal post by a group of people who seem to have enough money to participate in this forum.
That’s where some of the difference is. Someone who buys two MBB and two FB tickets will be spending 2k on the low end. That is basically 40 a week if you try to spread it out. That person is already over 8X more than the $5 you mention. Besides some people donate for scholarships, some to the alumni association (that one confuses me personally), some to the band. It’s one thing to suggest, but your kinda riding people about not donating to NIL.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
That’s where some of the difference is. Someone who buys two MBB and two FB tickets will be spending 2k on the low end. That is basically 40 a week if you try to spread it out. That person is already over 8X more than the $5 you mention. Besides some people donate for scholarships, some to the alumni association (that one confuses me personally), some to the band. It’s one thing to suggest, but your kinda riding people about not donating to NIL.
**** just did the math … does $161 a week make me a real fan if I dont also donate to NIL?

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Good for them. I, due to life choices, don’t get the benefit of my contribution by going to games. So maybe he gives much less. That’s fine. But all of us likely want a competitive team, especially if you have season tickets

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
I personally live out of state so I’ve committed to a sum I think would be equal to what I’d spend going to FB and BB games for tickets, gas, food, drink. For those in a similar situation, you might consider giving more.
I think Tom proposed in his OP what you are suggesting?