306,000 alumni could turn the tide

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not national championships, just elite eights, #2 in cross country, top 10 in tennis, top ten in wrestling, top ten in track, Fiesta bowl, top 32 in volleyball, etc.

I would rather be trying at this level then losing to Bowling Green.

I love how 'Elite Eights' and 'Fiesta Bowl' get thrown out there like they're normal and how any other sport will impact decisions on conference placement.

And...at the P5 level, pre-NIL, ISU has lost to the Bowling Green types multiple times.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Good for them. I, due to life choices, don’t get the benefit of my contribution by going to games. So maybe he gives much less. That’s fine. But all of us likely want a competitive team, especially if you have season tickets

Why does the basketball program have such a good recruiting class coming in this year?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Great. Good for him. I don’t live close enough to have the ability to go to games all the time. I watch from afar on TV for virtually free. I think this is a great use of my money and feel great about giving. Hoping others will too. The original post was just hoping 1/2 of the alumni would give $5 a week and projecting what that would do. I assumed half wouldn’t and due to my situation, I give a high multiple of that $5 a week. Just tired of the attitude directed at a pretty normal post by a group of people who seem to have enough money to participate in this forum.

Oh this just fantastic.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Attachments

• 1680180941222.jpeg
    1680180941222.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 10
  • Dumb
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I love how 'Elite Eights' and 'Fiesta Bowl' get thrown out there like they're normal and how any other sport will impact decisions on conference placement.

And...at the P5 level, pre-NIL, ISU has lost to the Bowling Green types multiple times.
They are not normal and i gave no indication they were normal. They are stretch goals, but attainable, as we have proven.

Over time, a lack of meaningful attention given to NIL, NCC members, etc will impact conference placement. It almost did three years ago?

Thanks for letting me know that we have lost to the Bowling Green types multiple times. I didn't know that. Hahaha

Here is the good information: thank goodness for Blum, Dan McCarney and all of the others trying to play the cards that have been dealt to us. I appreciate what they are doing, and guess what, they don’t like NIL either.

I choose to try to play at the highest levels with the cards that have been dealt to us. Some of you want to show thru elaborate reasoning why you don't give.

Please just say, "I don't believe in NIL and I will accept, without complaining, mediocre performance and a gradual deterioration in coaches, facilities and the level of athlete that is attracted to Iowa State."

Nobody likes NIL and that includes all the people on the WeWill Board, myself, Texas alums, Alabama alums, Nick Sabin, etc.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They are not normal and i gave no indication they were normal. They are stretch goals, but attainable, as we have proven.

Over time, a lack of meaningful attention given to NIL, NCC members, etc will impact conference placement. It almost did three years ago?

Thanks for letting me know that we have lost to the Bowling Green types multiple times. I didn't know that. Hahaha

Here is the good information: thank goodness for Blum, Dan McCarney and all of the others trying to play the cards that have been dealt to us. I appreciate what they are doing, and guess what, they don’t like NIL either.

I choose to try to play at the highest levels with the cards that have been dealt to us. Some of you want to show thru elaborate reasoning why you don't give.

Please just say, "I don't believe in NIL and I will accept, without complaining, mediocre performance and a gradual deterioration in coaches, facilities and the level of athlete that is attracted to Iowa State."

Nobody likes NIL and that includes all the people on the WeWill Board, myself, Texas alums, Alabama alums, Nick Sabin, etc.
Is NIL paying for coaches and buildings? I donate to both, but much more to the NCC and AD than NIL. If NIL is paying for coaches and buildings now, we have a messed up situation.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Once again, this is fear mongering, you have absolutely no basis or evidence that the entire athletic program will turn into a dumpster fire.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Is NIL paying for coaches and buildings? I donate to both, but much more to the NCC and AD than NIL. If NIL is paying for coaches and buildings now, we have a messed up situation.
Absolutely not.

My feelings are: without attracting a decent level.of athlete, performance falls, quality of coaches applying declines, fans get apathy, contributions go down, cash flow for capex decreases and the death spirial starts.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Once again, this is fear mongering, you have absolutely no basis or evidence that the entire athletic program will turn into a dumpster fire.
No, it is not. Look at our performance on the courts and fields by decade and u will see there is a correlation. Fear mongering??? Come on, this is a real possibility based on past performance.

Alignment will never be over. We must always be prepared for the next wave, and it will happen.

The University of Chicago, the founding member of the big tin and winner of several D1 national championships in football, chose to abandon D1 athletics in '41 (??) due to the money involved and general greasiness of this level.

Money, corruption, unfairness and realignment are never going away. Play the game or get out.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
According to the widely used, although somewhat hard-to-find-credit-for figures, a heart is worth around $1 million in the US. Livers come in second, worth about $557,000 and kidneys cost about $262,000 each.

LET'S GO, YOU SLACKERS!!!

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Not defensive. Just matching tone
As an impartial observer for most of this thread, I don't agree with this. And I donate to WeWill. I should be on your side. But to question the fandom of people who choose not to donate to the collective is such an awful approach that I almost have to assume you're trolling.

Also, I had a fair amount of substance in my post that you are outright ignoring and are sticking with your "50% of alumni could donate" nonsense. Be nice and be realistic. Neither should be hard.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You don't think these guys are not getting some level of nil?

That's absolutely happening...but it is not and will not ever be as much as a ton of other programs offer no matter how much ISU fans raise, just like ISU's upgrades in facilities etc. always has been behind others.

So NIL or not, there will need to be more to it.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Quite a projection going on here.

I may or may not give but if I do it's while understanding that other programs will always be out ahead no matter how much goes toward ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Just to jump in here and certainly appreciate the discussion. I understand if Cyclones choose not to support NIL and We Will. Iowa State needs all levels of fans to support, whether that is financially, buying tickets or simply showing interest. It all adds up. The transfer market in men's basketball is pretty wild right now in that the cost that some of these players are interested in to even consider certain schools has gone up substantially. So while we may not agree with what this has turned into, it is the current reality and if we want to be in the conversation with some of these folks, NIL has a direct impact. Again thank you for any and all support, whether financially or otherwise.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
No, just 70 years of history prior to '95.