306,000 alumni could turn the tide

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Crap, now we can't even complain if we don't donate to NIL? My Cyclone Club donations and ticket purchases go directly to facilities/coaches, but apparently that still doesn't give me the right to complain, damn..

Do the people donating to NIL but not Cyclone Club/ticket purchases still get to complain about coaches? Or ugly press boxes? Just gotta make sure I keep these straight. Do the people who donate $100/month to NIL get to complain more than the people who only donate $10/month?

Do you guys realize how ridiculous you sound?
It isn’t about who gets to complain. That is rampant on this site irregardless of donations. It’s about how you want the team to do and what each person is willing to do to get to that point. Let’s try to keep from devolving into victimjood and comparison.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Well, come September wife and I will have TWO kids up at ISU. Both will have student season tickets (football/basketball) along with any we purchase.

And even with that, coming from the carny's pitching NIL on this website.......we aren't even close to being the proper fan.
You are part of the half that doesn’t feel able to give. That makes sense. This was a what if post.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
If i dont donate to NIL, but did go to iowa state, am i able to call myself a fan? How about if both of my grandmas worked for iowa state, but not in the athletics department? What if my grandpa was a professor at isu, does that count, or can i only say i am a fan of the university, and not the athletics? What if he served on the athletics council, is it ok to be a fan now? My wife went there too, and so did my parents, and siblings. Can i only be a fan of sports that dont get NIL money?
Do as you will. It’s fine

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have no problem if anyone chooses to donate, or chooses not to donate, but what boggles my mind is that there seems to be a couple people on here that actively are trying to get others not to donate. That’s where you completely lost me.

My position is that “playing this game” will take us down faster than “not playing the game”. Other people have the opposite viewpoint. We’re probably going to find out soon enough. And if I’m wrong, I’ll say I was wrong.

To me college athletics is very fan driven. This whole “NIL” thing is going to lead to a decrease of fan interest and will eventually lead to CFB and CBB becoming a minor league. Do you watch/support any minor league sports or teams in the same way you currently watch/support ISU athletics.

I’m a nativist on this issue. It’s a GoFundMe ploy and as I mentioned above it’s the “Wild West” which to me means it’s rife for abuse, corruption, cheating, etc. I’m not going to foment that and I hope others won’t foment it.

I’d rather have a Collective for ordinary students that don’t get scholarships and don’t get everything for free already. Including fringe sports and ESPECIALLY walk ons to FB and BB that have to put in all the work but don’t get all of the perks that most of the players around them get.

Let’s make Iowa State special, let’s do something special with this; not just lump ourselves in with every other terd wal mart fan school out there.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
It isn’t about who gets to complain. That is rampant on this site irregardless of donations. It’s about how you want the team to do and what each person is willing to do to get to that point. Let’s try to keep from devolving into victimjood and comparison.

The poster I replied to literally said "support without complaining"...

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Tv money is due to the fans also. No tv money if people arent watching.
Oh, I agree, it's just that the money from the Networks isn't directly coming out of my pocket, like everything else is. I have no issue with the NFL getting the money they get, because the Vikings aren't constantly asking me to give more or telling me, if I don't donate to the player fund, they won't be able to get that next draft pick signed.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

You've been saying people aren't fans if they don't contribute to NIL.

Can you reference a team that did better than prior because of their fans' NIL contributions? Is FAU big in the NIL game?

As a fan I 'want' bball to get to the tournament and football to go to bowls. Bball is still doing that and football was roughly 6 plays away from a bowl game last season.

And if the dooms day predictions come true, ISU won't be alone there either.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldCy

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
My position is that “playing this game” will take us down faster than “not playing the game”. Other people have the opposite viewpoint. We’re probably going to find out soon enough. And if I’m wrong, I’ll say I was wrong.

To me college athletics is very fan driven. This whole “NIL” thing is going to lead to a decrease of fan interest and will eventually lead to CFB and CBB becoming a minor league. Do you watch/support any minor league sports or teams in the same way you currently watch/support ISU athletics.

I’m a nativist on this issue. It’s a GoFundMe ploy and as I mentioned above it’s the “Wild West” which to me means it’s rife for abuse, corruption, cheating, etc. I’m not going to foment that and I hope others won’t foment it.

I’d rather have a Collective for ordinary students that don’t get scholarships and don’t get everything for free already. Including fringe sports and ESPECIALLY walk ons to FB and BB that have to put in all the work but don’t get all of the perks that most of the players around them get.

Let’s make Iowa State special, let’s do something special with this; not just lump ourselves in with every other terd wal mart fan school out there.
I think you can say that NIL hasn't decreased fan interest as ratings have never been higher for college football.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Sort of what I'm trying to get at; the improvement for ISU football seems to have come along with a coach that offers a unique experience in being in the program and some of the players involved with that like David Montgomery making it the thing to work out on Friday nights.

There's an article on CF from just prior to the tournament about how Tre King's dad really appreciated TJ's genuine relationship with Tre. Whether or not it lasts, nobody knows but either way ISU will need to have something far beyond 'how much can we pay the 4 star guy?' when so many other schools will just need to push a button and name their own price.

Reactions: Cyclone Pfan

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Just here to point out, Tom, 'irregardless' is not a word! Just use regardless. Off season topics for the win!
Thanks I’m clunky.
lthough editors purge irregardless from most published writing, the term is alive and well in spoken English and is recorded in most dictionaries. Those who use it may do so to add emphasis. The bottom line is that irregardless is indeed a word, albeit a clunky one.Jul 29, 2015

Last edited:

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Sort of what I'm trying to get at; the improvement for ISU football seems to have come along with a coach that offers a unique experience in being in the program and some of the players involved with that like David Montgomery making it the thing to work out on Friday nights.

There's an article on CF from just prior to the tournament about how Tre King's dad really appreciated TJ's genuine relationship with Tre. Whether or not it lasts, nobody knows but either way ISU will need to have something far beyond 'how much can we pay the 4 star guy?' when so many other schools will just need to push a button and name their own price.
Absolutely correct. We Will is just to meet minimum needs for Matt and TJ to work their magic. And our other coaches as well. We will never have the bucks to outbid the blue bloods. Just need to give them a fighting chance.

Last edited:

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
So, CF pays nothing to the players that they interview, that they have at get together or even help promote their shirts and other things? C Willy needs to at least pay those guys when he has them at CF things.
Maybe. Or that may be paid out or We Will. Guess I’m not positive about that.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
You've been saying people aren't fans if they don't contribute to NIL.

Can you reference a team that did better than prior because of their fans' NIL contributions? Is FAU big in the NIL game?

As a fan I 'want' bball to get to the tournament and football to go to bowls. Bball is still doing that and football was roughly 6 plays away from a bowl game last season.

And if the dooms day predictions come true, ISU won't be alone there either.
Miami. With Pack. But we can’t play at that level.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron