49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

SanDiego49er

Oct 2, 2023
Yeah, if Williams is resting (and he should), that really makes you want to rest Brock too, as that line is totally different without Williams.
You can get him hurt without Trent Williams and sometimes he does. I believe the Vikings game where he got the concussion was without TW. But I don't think the play where he got it was because of that. He did a QB sneak and went into the line and got banged in the head. Their version of the Tush Push which isn't anywhere near as effective as the Eagles do it.

SanDiego49er

Oct 2, 2023
It kind of supports my theory that all the hate that you see online doesn’t translate to the general public.
I think the public generally likes him and thinks he is good. There are loud mouth nay sayers. Like Nick WRONG (sometimes mistakenly called Wright). Also Grant Cohn. Sometimes Shannon Sharpe although he is on and off with that. Lately he's been coming around to Brock with the exception of the Ravens game of course.

Winning the Super Bowl with Super Bowl MVP would go a long way to change the narrative with him. He already has Pro Bowl now. Maybe a league MVP next year. The more he can he can add over a few years the less leg the doubters will have to stand on.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think the public generally likes him and thinks he is good. There are loud mouth nay sayers. Like Nick WRONG (sometimes mistakenly called Wright). Also Grant Cohn. Sometimes Shannon Sharpe although he is on and off with that. Lately he's been coming around to Brock with the exception of the Ravens game of course.

Winning the Super Bowl with Super Bowl MVP would go a long way to change the narrative with him. He already has Pro Bowl now. Maybe a league MVP next year. The more he can he can add over a few years the less leg the doubters will have to stand on.
We can hope. After all, Wally already said on the air that he was wrong about Tyrese.

Reactions: SanDiego49er

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Wow, cool to see the thread staying alive. Great to see the success. As a niner fan, never thought I'd experience an ISU alum have this sort of success on "my" team and be able to cheer, not as a bandwagon fan, but as a closet fan who had to endure the 2000's with Tim Rattay and Trent Dilfer. Crazy to think that beyond the short lived Kaepernick years, you had a unliked Alex Smith and a quite, yet prolific Jeff Garcia before finally finding a new Pro Bowl, franchise guy in the last pick of the draft!!

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Thoughts up there.

I don't know if this is fair but Purdy's turnovers were highly concentrated into two games. For the vast majority of games he really took care of the ball far beyond typical or at least beyond what my fan knowledge thinks is typical for a QB starting all year.

I'm admittedly a new bandwagon NFL/49ers fan but coming to it new and eye testing this thing (watching or listening to entire 49ers season) I don't see why any NFL player other than McCaffrey gets a vote. The guy does everything you would ever want a football player to do. He looks like a player who could have been a hall of famer at 4 or 5 different positions had he focused on any of them earlier.
Signiant, however, is the turnovers happened in games 49ers were behind in and in the AFC.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Regarding starters sitting out, I've never bought the momentum argument. Maybe it feels that way to the fans or the media, but if the Niners get smushed this weekend I doubt it has any impact on the team at all. The players and coaches know exactly who they are and what kind of team they have.

Plop a starter in there for some meaningless reps and they get injured...there's nothing you can say to justify that.

Just glanced at the playoff scenarios, good lord the NFC South is bad. They might have a division champ with a sub .500 record in consecutive years.

SanDiego49er

Oct 2, 2023
Thoughts up there.

I don't know if this is fair but Purdy's turnovers were highly concentrated into two games. For the vast majority of games he really took care of the ball far beyond typical or at least beyond what my fan knowledge thinks is typical for a QB starting all year.

I'm admittedly a new bandwagon NFL/49ers fan but coming to it new and eye testing this thing (watching or listening to entire 49ers season) I don't see why any NFL player other than McCaffrey gets a vote. The guy does everything you would ever want a football player to do. He looks like a player who could have been a hall of famer at 4 or 5 different positions had he focused on any of them earlier.
CMC should probably be the MVP. He's had a better year than Lamar. Purdy's turnovers are concentrated. Take out the Ravens for example and all season long he's been almost phenomenal. The one big turnover game skewed his stats. Which are still really great. But would have been off the charts.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
It kind of supports my theory that all the hate that you see online doesn’t translate to the general public.

I think people's opinion of Brock falls into the 10-80-10 rule

10% - Know and understand that he is damn good quarterback for technical reasons
80% - Know he's Mr. Irrelevant, on a good team, and has some of the highest ratings in the NFL (at least according to the graphics they show during games)
10% - Think he's just a game manager and a product of Shanahan and the weapons of the 49ers.

Unfortunately it's that bottom 10% that (like most anything) that tends to be the loudest.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812 and Erik4Cy

SanDiego49er

Oct 2, 2023

Why you want to REST people and stop worrying about "rust." Because even in practice they can get hurt. Certainly a game. He's a backup and not that important. But still it just goes to show you.

clones2005

Jan 14, 2017

Why you want to REST people and stop worrying about "rust." Because even in practice they can get hurt. Certainly a game. He's a backup and not that important. But still it just goes to show you.
That guy has the worst injury history of any player ever.

SanDiego49er

Oct 2, 2023
That guy has the worst injury history of any player ever.
Yes he is very injury prone. Made of glass. Also a backup. So not too bad. But it does show to be careful with your guys is prudent and wise if you have everything wrapped up already. Like the #1 seed. They can't improve what they already have.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I think people's opinion of Brock falls into the 10-80-10 rule

10% - Know and understand that he is damn good quarterback for technical reasons
80% - Know he's Mr. Irrelevant, on a good team, and has some of the highest ratings in the NFL (at least according to the graphics they show during games)
10% - Think he's just a game manager and a product of Shanahan and the weapons of the 49ers.

Unfortunately it's that bottom 10% that (like most anything) that tends to be the loudest.
Well put. 100% spot on.

clones2005

Jan 14, 2017
Had to do it, four nights at Sonesta select @ San Jose, 4 nights: 2 tickets for Jan7 @ Levi (Niners vs. Rams): and SWA from DSM to SJC. Go Brock, go Niners! Wonder if they tailgate at Levi! My Christmas present to myself!!!!!!

Edit: going to wear my ISU gear!!
:D:D
Enjoy the game tomorrow! Looks like the weather should be enjoyable.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Enjoy the game tomorrow! Looks like the weather should be enjoyable.
Thx, they have a tailgate package, opted in; so hopefully meet some fans, talk football and playoffs. Went to the niner store today; bought some bling to take home to kids! Saw stadium, nice but Trice is better IMHO. They do share a parking lot with Great America theme park; so they do have ample space for tailgating.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Will say almost everything is sponsored, gates, tiers, bunch of car manufacturers with cars on display, wouldn't be surprised if they haven't got money out of "Kohler" for bathrooms!!
NRG evidently built them three bridges across gulleys to get to the stadium!:p
:rolleyes:

Last edited: