49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Cowherd is wrong of course but I wouldn't be shocked to see the 49ers take a QB but he won't start over Brock. The 49ers are probably going to have to cut some guys if it makes sense or trade some guys for draft picks just to come in under the cap next year because last I checked they are only projected to have a 2 million to spend and have quite a few unrestricted FAs, then you have guys like McCaffery and Aiyuk who will probably looking to negotiate new contracts because I think next year is their last on their deals.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Colin Cowherd is an idiot. Basically he said today that Brock Purdy is on a job audition during the Super Bowl and post season. If Purdy doesn’t go 3-0 in the post season, he’s done as a 49er.
Every day players build their resume. That's part of the pressure. I think Brock's resume is solid enough to survive a loss or even a bad game in the Super Bowl. That takes some of the pressure off. Once they get out on the field, it's a football game. They know how to do this stuff.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013

I think Brock has matured a lot. I think there were times he felt the pressure, especially in the Iowa games. And that hurt his performance. It seems like he's been able to set aside the pressure.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Cowherd is wrong of course but I wouldn't be shocked to see the 49ers take a QB but he won't start over Brock. The 49ers are probably going to have to cut some guys if it makes sense or trade some guys for draft picks just to come in under the cap next year because last I checked they are only projected to have a 2 million to spend and have quite a few unrestricted FAs, then you have guys like McCaffery and Aiyuk who will probably looking to negotiate new contracts because I think next year is their last on their deals.

They remind me of the situation the Seahawks had while they were in the middle of their run awhile back.

Great drafting/development gave them a sizable window where they have a pretty talented roster, but that window has an expiration date coming fast.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I mean, I’m sure it is. But TT has freaking Mahomes. How much better than ours has their recruiting been? I think that some of that is overblown.
I think it gives our coaches and program some needed credibility in establishing contact with recruits, especially given our lack of first-round draft picks.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Great drafting/development gave them a sizable window where they have a pretty talented roster, but that window has an expiration date coming fast.
Successful franchises are able to get guys to give a little for the benefit of the team.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021

rich has probably been one of the loudest purdy supporters

Carlin vs Joe on ESPN Radio yesterday told all the game manager hawt take guys to shove it. They pointed to Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson as the two true game manager QBs that won SBs. Although they either misquoted stats or didn't provide context. Said Dilfer threw 12 tds to 11 ints the year they won, but neglected to say that was in only 8 starts and one partial game. Said Johnson only threw 13 tds to 11 ints his SB year, but that was actually the year before. He was 26td/6 int the SB year. Regardless, there are plenty singing his praises.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think it gives our coaches and program some needed credibility in establishing contact with recruits, especially given our lack of first-round draft picks.
Yeah, it definitely can't hurt. Same with Breece, Montgomery, Lazard, McDonald. Can't use that "no first round pick" argument against us anymore. Guess what I'm saying is that having one guy do well in the league isn't going to help a ton. We're not getting a 4 star OL because of Purdy or Breece. I remember when iowa had Robert Gallery go #2...they were gloating like crazy. Thing is, there is a #2 pick every year not to mention #1. What really helps recruiting is when you multiple guys at multiple positions get drafted AND do well in the league. We're getting there, but we're probably near the bottom of the P5 as far as number of players in the league. Right now, we have 1 QB, 3 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 DE, 1 LB, 1 DB. IMO we need to double that number if we really want to see it have an impact on recruiting. And it would really help if we got a few OLs in the league.

SanDiego49er

Oct 2, 2023
They put the 49ers into a swampy bog practice field. Just laid the sod over field turf last week. Loose sod, gaps and seams. In a driving rain storm. Chiefs get the Raiders state of the art indoor practice facility.

Seems pretty fair and even handed.

:nausea:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
From Brock with Love. Got here in time for SB festivities. I'll have to move down the signed game-worn ISU throwback helmet with this now taking prized possession spot #1. Only problem is full size helmets take up a lot of space on ISU memorabilia book cases, but I'll allow it.

IMG_2863.jpeg

Last edited: