49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Dak is negotiating right now and it's expected his contract will be somewhere between $50-65mil/yr. For a QB that fails to deliver year after year after year in the playoffs. Above average QB but far from elite and ridiculously overpaid IMHO.

Brock won't get that for his first contract, and from everything I know talking to him over the years, he won't be like Dak, Lamar, etc that demand all the money and leave nothing for other pieces around them. I wouldn't be surprised if Brock starts out in the $35-40mil range for his first big contract. He's still young and in contractual terms won't get the same kind of money that Lamar and others got for their first big contracts - for a couple reasons.

The 49ers do have some positioning they need to do though as they have some key contracts coming up and some big decisions to make for when Brock is on a big boy salary. Right or wrong, it's why a lot of people say that the 49ers' best window for a SB only lasts 1-2 more years.
For comparison, Jordan Love is going to be around 20MM for one on his 5th year.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
For comparison, Jordan Love is going to be around 20MM for one on his 5th year.
Good comparison, but the problem with it is the Packers didn't have much live-game experience with Love until they made the one year extension so it was really to give him some adequate salary while not committing short-term or long-term until they could see how he'd do come Sundays.

Brock has the experience of a Top 5 QB draft pick and that will give the 49ers all they need to know about his poise and game management. The only hesitation that could give them pause would be a big slump this coming season raising questions about his long-term franchise QB status.

• Informative
Reactions: CyValley

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
So I got the signed full size helmet from San Fran in time for the SB but not the signed 16x20 print. Excited to get it up and mounted!

View attachment 124063

View attachment 124064
I'm envious of the full-size autographed helmet! I've got the signed mini helmet from Brock and also have a Jets mini helmet signed by Breece. I think the Brock Super Bowl jersey arrives today. Would love to get that one signed and displayed on the wall!

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'm envious of the full-size autographed helmet! I've got the signed mini helmet from Brock and also have a Jets mini helmet signed by Breece. I think the Brock Super Bowl jersey arrives today. Would love to get that on signed and displayed on the wall!
Yeah, I got really spoiled. I figure with my health I’m not going to live a long life, so use some of the relationships I’ve built with ISU player over the past ~20 years and enjoy these things. My kids have absolutely no interest in sports so I’m asking Brock and others go out of their way to sign in front of Becket Reps so the items are holographicly tracked and valuable when I pass.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
It's hard to disagree in some sense. I love sports. But I see the problem and the deep unfairness. In some ways societies priorities are all mixed up. But as long as they keep getting TV money and revenue from advertising and revenue sharing you will see this continue.

The fans I suppose could choose not to go and say no to it. I mostly stopped going to pro games years ago. I go to College games all over the country. Where I have some different relatives and friends. Even those tickets are more now. But certainly way less than a pro game. College ticket for a decent game is like $65 and a decent seat. Pro game is like $300 for the cheap seats and you need to 2. So like $600. Then food, drinks, parking, hotel and airfare if you had to fly. You can be $900 - $1,500 for a regular season game easily. That's just 2 people. Not even 4. College game figure $120 - $150 out the door total. That's much more fair. I go to San Diego State Aztecs and Wisconsin Badgers sometimes. I like the College game. Some other places too.

TV revenue and advertising is where the real money is. As long as they get huge money on that and revenue sharing with the players they will make outrageous money. Is it too much? Probably yes. But fans could choose not to watch. In which case ratings, advertising and revenue would go down. But so far they choose to watch. I just try to ignore it and block it out of my mind. I know it's unfair. But the Saturday and Sunday games are a nice escape from life and give us all something fun to focus on. Taking the daily struggles away.

Of course I see the deep unfairness in it though. Not much 1 individual can do about that though.
If you like the college game you should stop by Ames, Iowa and pick up an Iowa State game. Spend three to four hours tailgating before kickoff wearing 49er's colors or a Purdy jersey, and you will have more food and friends than you can handle.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Yeah, I got really spoiled. I figure with my health I’m not going to live a long life, so use some of the relationships I’ve built with ISU player over the past ~20 years and enjoy these things. My kids have absolutely no interest in sports so I’m asking Brock and others go out of their way to sign in front of Becket Reps so the items are holographicly tracked and valuable when I pass.
Being able to associate with some of our beloved players is pretty amazing and I'm glad you have that opportunity. I don't know what your health issues pertain to but I wish you all the best, my friend!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We could take away the Jennings TD pass to CMC because a lineman was illegally down field. Refs let both teams play.
Look at the replay again. The line of scrimmage was the 21. It just looks like there is an O lineman offside because the initial pass (lateral) was so far back that it reset everything much further back. No O linemen were a yard past the 21.

But more importantly, it was a pass caught behind the LOS so there is no illegal man down field penalties. It is only illegal if the pass crosses the line of scrimmage.

Reactions: NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Like it or not that was a very high profile game with the two leading MVP candidates going at it late in the season. Early stumbles are easier to erase from people's memory by good play, do it late in the season and people will still remember it 2 weeks later when the voting happens.

If the opposite happened and Jackson bombed that game I think everyone here would be totally fine with his MVP stock falling.
It is the same reason I hated it when the NCAA selection committee used "last 5" and "last 10" metrics a few years ago. Sure a team, or in this case a player, may look better later in a season but there can be a lot of factors that influence that including the competition you face (your schedule being front or back loaded) and the availability of the key players around you. Both an NCAA tourney berth and MVP are body of work awards.

So to answer your hypothetical, if the opposite happened and Jackson had several interceptions including tipped balls and his team lost I would expect his stock to drop, but only so much as his overall body of work was tarnished. Game 16 should not count any more than game 2.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The mental part always takes the longest in almost any trade/profession and can only be gained through live experience.

In terms of gross motor skills I don't think Brock has much he can really gain (he's not going to gain 50 lbs of muscle, get 4" taller, shave .3 off his 40 time, etc). I think refinement to his technique and then the live in game mental skills are where he can grow.
He was coming off of major throwing arm surgery this offseason. I have no doubt that he could increase his arm strength a bit over this year with a full offseason to train again.

Pizzapitter

sopsycho
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
All this talk about "Brock n' bank."

I highly doubt that Brock's "Christian journey," places much emphasis on making "generational wealth bank."
Could be wrong af, but the kid strikes me as forever grateful for each n every "blessing" that comes his way, money aside.
Stated this before. A friend's daughter attended HS with BP.
Nutshell. "...down to earth..."
Mentioned the following before.
My sis is in the HyVee Ames checkout line (Brock's 2nd year, she thinks).
She's got a basket, he's got a loaded up cart.
Brock Insists, that my sis and he trade places.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
All this talk about "Brock n' bank."

I highly doubt that Brock's "Christian journey," places much emphasis on making "generational wealth bank."
Could be wrong af, but the kid strikes me as forever grateful for each n every "blessing" that comes his way, money aside.
Stated this before. A friend's daughter attended HS with BP.
Nutshell. "...down to earth..."
Mentioned the following before.
My sis is in the HyVee Ames checkout line (Brock's 2nd year, she thinks).
She's got a basket, he's got a loaded up cart.
Brock Insists, that my sis and he trade places.
Not sure how much stock you can put in that. Kirk Cousins is similarly strong of faith and it has never stopped him from maximizing his pay. And there's absolutely zero wrong with that. If Brock decides he wants to be paid like a top 5 QB when he's up for his new deal, then by all means he should go for it. More power to him.

SanDiego49er

Oct 2, 2023
They are singed for 4 years. Sometimes with a 5th year option that the team can pickup. You can't negociate a new contract until after the 3rd year (after next year). He just completed his 2nd year. So he is stuck on his rookie deal. For now at least.