***#6 Iowa State at #14 Texas (Wednesday, 7:00)***

dkdean

Mar 19, 2011
Texas
I don’t think Iowa State managed to get one single 50-50 ball today. Seems like they all went Texas’ way.

Also the slightest bump and it’s a turnover. Just don’t seem strong enough to hold onto the ball.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I mean that shot right there by Texas sums up the night. Credit to the Longhorns tonight. They just owned us post halftime.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Well, we're tied with Baylor in the conference standings....not ideal considering we still have to play them again...I really want this team to win the conference and win it outright

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Texas is our Krypton, too big, too strong too fast. They aren't the best team we play but they are the toughest matchup.
Vic has been the National Coach of the Year Twice. Texas WBB recruiting has been well-regarded. It was in Texas. And is a tough match for us but UT also played well and we played subpar. They have our number.

Reactions: jctisu

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
You have to be a little miffed if you are a Texas women's basketball fan. Fennelly gave this quote years ago that "there is no more impressive team walking off the bus than Texas" and he's right. Their athleticism and size is insane, yet they ALWAYS underachieve for the most part. Now, they are a perfect matchup for teams like us, but every year there are just a bunch of WTF losses. Then you see them play us, and you are saying to yourself, "Damn!"

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Texas is our Kryptonite, too big, too strong too fast. They aren't the best team we play but they are the toughest matchup.

Yep, and Texas seems to always "get up" to play us.

They remind me a lot of the WVU of years ago... they play physical and dare the refs to call everything. Hey, it works, college refs are generally weak. I mean, the play that pretty much sums it up was the block call that the lead ref called (correctly), and let the trail (incorrectly) turn it over and call a charge. That shouldn't happen, the trail had no way to see that clearly with all the bodies in the way. Anyways, it works for Texas, so why not play that way.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Yep, and Texas seems to always "get up" to play us.

They remind me a lot of the WVU of years ago... they play physical and dare the refs to call everything. Hey, it works, college refs are generally weak. I mean, the play that pretty much sums it up was the block call that the lead ref called (correctly), and let the trail (incorrectly) turn it over and call a charge. That shouldn't happen, the trail had no way to see that clearly with all the bodies in the way. Anyways, it works for Texas, so why not play that way.

I was thinking the same thing regarding West Virginia. Being physical is one thing but being bumped and pushed up and down the court takes a toll on our players after awhile. They hit their shots though, we didnt. Good riddance to them....

• Agree
Reactions: whoooe and ISC

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
You have to be a little miffed if you are a Texas women's basketball fan. Fennelly gave this quote years ago that "there is no more impressive team walking off the bus than Texas" and he's right. Their athleticism and size is insane, yet they ALWAYS underachieve for the most part. Now, they are a perfect matchup for teams like us, but every year there are just a bunch of WTF losses. Then you see them play us, and you are saying to yourself, "Damn!"
You just perfectly described all of Texas sports..... all that talent and consistently underachieves.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
What drove me bonkers is that we seemed like we were so polite in waiting for Texas to set up their press before we even tried to inbound the ball. It's like we didn't want to inbound the ball until they gave us the okay. Those big bodies that TX bumps and grinds on us all night didn't need to hustle down the court. Probably why they press all the time so they can stay at one end of the court. And I am only half kidding. o_O

• Agree
Reactions: gizzsdad and 67CY

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
I was thinking the same thing regarding West Virginia. Being physical is one thing but being bumped and pushed up and down the court takes a toll on our players after awhile. They hit their shots though, we didnt. Good riddance to them....
Even though I am in my mid sixties, I was still playing pick-up twice a week until the pandemic shut us out of school gyms. If somebody new had shown up and played the way Texas does, there would have been a fist fight. And once, the police were called.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85