7 states file lawsuit against the NCAA over transfer restrictions

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Not sure why sitting out is seen as such a terrible thing. It's helped a ton of players get better and get to the next level. It'll be interesting to see how the loosened rules impact graduation rates over the next few years.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Exactly, why lock yourself into a "long-term" deal right out of high school when you can play for a year and get a better deal the following year?
Because that long term deal has great compensation and you might not pan out. It’s the same reason professional athletes choose long term deals.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Because that long term deal has great compensation and you might not pan out. It’s the same reason professional athletes choose long term deals.

Professional athletes sign long-term deals because they've already made it. College athletes haven't made it yet so having the flexibility to put yourself into a better position to make it is very appealing.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Yes, the players most certainly should be suing the pro sports leagues (the real ones limiting their advancement and career options), but they probably feel it isn't smart to sue the sugar daddies they eventually want to get paid by.

If the NCAA wants to survive, at some point real soon they are going to have to stand up for themselves, get some shark lawyers, and take on this "monopoly" argument in court, or the lawsuits like this are just going to keep coming. They should have done it on the NIL deal.
In addition to antitrust protections for MLB and NFL, the pro leagues have collectively bargained the restrictions, so there’s not much there for a lawsuit.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
For fb it seems like only path.

For basketball now gleague, overtime elite and Europe are getting as many drafted as ncaa basketball. Maybe a majority, it’s at least close to a majority.
Couldn't a player try the XFL etc and use it like the G league? Some players are using it to try to get into the NFL even after going to college.

Reactions: VeloClone

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Professional athletes sign long-term deals because they've already made it. College athletes haven't made it yet so having the flexibility to put yourself into a better position to make it is very appealing.
For many they have made it. A top 100 player may not want to sign a 2 or 4-year contract, but a 3-star (the caliber of prospect ISU would get) probably would. This is ideal because it would alleviate ISU having to re-recruit its best players every year. It’s good for the players because it provides longer-term stability

The athletes would have to become employees with collective bargaining to do this though. I think that’s the next step that would have to happen to try and regulate some of this

• Agree
Reactions: CloneJD and Die4Cy

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
For many they have made it. A top 100 player may not want to sign a 2 or 4-year contract, but a 3-star (the caliber of prospect ISU would get) probably would. This is ideal because it would alleviate ISU having to re-recruit its best players every year. It’s good for the players because it provides longer-term stability

The athletes would have to become employees with collective bargaining to do this though. I think that’s the next step that would have to happen to try and regulate some of this

If a player is good enough to need to be re-recruited, why would they sign a long-term deal?

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
If a player is good enough to need to be re-recruited, why would they sign a long-term deal?
Because they weren’t recruited heavily out of high school. I think Jeremiah Cooper would be a good example

Obviously, It would be up to the player if they prefer the stability of a longer contract or the financial incentive of shorter term contracts. Same with the school.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The funny thing about this particular lawsuit is once the Power 5 starts to consider players to be employees and have them sign contracts out of highschool, they'll immediately have far less options than they do right now.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Do college athletes need to go into multi year contracts (2-4 years) like they do in pro sports? If you pan out, great, if not the college still has to pay the contract.

I see this is talked about a little right after I posted it

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Because they weren’t recruited heavily out of high school. I think Jeremiah Cooper would be a good example

Obviously, It would be up to the player if they prefer the stability of a longer contract or the financial incentive of shorter term contracts. Same with the school.

I'm assuming most players being recruited at the FBS level have aspirations of playing on Sundays. Having the flexibility to change your situation to improve those chances seems more appealing than being locked into a potentially bad situation.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Not sure why sitting out is seen as such a terrible thing. It's helped a ton of players get better and get to the next level. It'll be interesting to see how the loosened rules impact graduation rates over the next few years.

In the new world college FB league nobody cares about graduation rates. Individual programs might but at the macro level I doubt if anyone does.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I'm assuming most players being recruited at the FBS level have aspirations of playing on Sundays. Having the flexibility to change your situation to improve those chances seems more appealing than being locked into a potentially bad situation.
Potentially. I don’t know. It would be a negotiation between the schools and the player.

But none of this is even an option right now because it’s the Wild West. You have to re-recruit every player (that you want to keep) every year

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That model has been working for the vast majority of the business world.
But in the business world you also have non-competes. IMO having a player sit 1 year is similar deal.

I feel all the recent legal opinions and recent NCAA proposal is pushing toward athletes being employees. IMO that goes hand-in-hand with athletes unionizing and CBA between schools and athletes. Revenue sharing, work rules and transfer rules will all be negotiated.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Couldn't a player try the XFL etc and use it like the G league? Some players are using it to try to get into the NFL even after going to college.

I would think so. There are certainly options now vs 5-6 years ago.

If a freshman can come in and dominate in NCAA I think some of them would at least be good enough to show out in XFL.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
But in the business world you also have non-competes. IMO having a player sit 1 year is similar deal.

I feel all the recent legal opinions and recent NCAA proposal is pushing toward athletes being employees. IMO that goes hand-in-hand with athletes unionizing and CBA between schools and athletes. Revenue sharing, work rules and transfer rules will all be negotiated.
Certainly those things exist in the business world, but they're not required. And, when it comes to NCAA athletics, if some schools want to offer scholarships with a non compete clause and others wanted to offer them without, they would have a much better argument against antitrust allegations. The problem is when all schools agree to offer the same non compete clause that it strays into collusion territory, because it's an artificial cap on the limit. That's not allowed, and the court system has made it very clear to the NCAA, via past decisions, that they're on very thin ice in this realm.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Why not let the market decide? A lot of these kids are interested in a college payday.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG