"801 Day" explainer from a recent former student

OscarBerkshire

Jul 14, 2022
Waterloo
Was listening to CW and Blum talk about not knowing what '801 day' is, and specifically not knowing the origin of the name. 801 day occurs on the Saturday before classes begin. As far as I am aware, the name originates from the sorority ban on drinking for the entirety of the week leading up to the Saturday during sorority rush. The ban is lifted at 8:01am on that Saturday, hence the name and the extravagant 'extracurricular' activities.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Was listening to CW and Blum talk about not knowing what '801 day' is, and specifically not knowing the origin of the name. 801 day occurs on the Saturday before classes begin. As far as I am aware, the name originates from the sorority ban on drinking for the entirety of the week leading up to the Saturday during sorority rush. The ban is lifted at 8:01am on that Saturday, hence the name and the extravagant 'extracurricular' activities.
Yep. Only thing I'd add is that it's not just a ban on drinking, sorority recruits also aren't allowed to socialize with frats or fraternity recruits for the week so at 8:01 they start drinking and gathering throughout Greekland.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
They know what it is. It’s been all over the news and social every year for the last 5 years. Glad kids still have a reason to drink. RIP VEISHEA

Reactions: croelfs10

ISUinOR

Nov 8, 2007
Portland, OR
My son, who is a Freshman, just experienced 801 day. He told me he spent most of the night puking.

That wasn't a thing when I was at ISU. Like others mentioned, we just partied whenever we felt like it.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Yep. Only thing I'd add is that it's not just a ban on drinking, sorority recruits also aren't allowed to socialize with frats or fraternity recruits for the week so at 8:01 they start drinking and gathering throughout Greekland.

That's a weird thing

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't get why it matters for the non-Greek community.

I do remember the Saturday before classes that there was always a huge all day kegger at that apartment complex in the middle of the frats and sororities. But as others said, the whole week before class (****, the whole month of August when I was living in an apartment or house) was an extended party.

Said apartment complex amongst the Greeks looks like it's still there.

And good lord, that street view is absolutely hilarious.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I entered Iowa State in 2013 and 801 day was a thing already. It was only Greek life though at the time.

It really started to explode by the time I graduated. I would guess my junior year was when it really started to expand out of Greek life.

• Informative
Reactions: CydeofFries

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Graduated in '13 and was in a frat... 8:01 was definitely a thing and a ******* blast. Pure chaos though, as you would imagine if you unleash an army of sorority girls to swarm frat parties at 8am for the first "back to school" parties of the year for them.

I will say though, that rush week was always awesome because the fraternties had no such ban (at least not enforced) on drinking. Those parties as guys were returning from summer break, moving in, non-sorority ladies, etc. were just as fun.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
That's a weird thing
I've had two daughters go through sorority recruitment at ISU, their days from Saturday through bid day on Thursday are jam packed so they don't have a lot of down time to do much socializing. They're still not allowed to socialize with frats/frat recruits on the Friday after bid day but most use that day to chill and catch up on rest anyways.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Graduated in '13 and was in a frat... 8:01 was definitely a thing and a ******* blast. Pure chaos though, as you would imagine if you unleash an army of sorority girls to swarm frat parties at 8am for the first "back to school" parties of the year for them.

I will say though, that rush week was always awesome because the fraternties had no such ban (at least not enforced) on drinking. Those parties as guys were returning from summer break, moving in, non-sorority ladies, etc. were just as fun.
Yeah from what I've heard the frat recruitment process is way, way different and much more laid back compared to the sorority recruitment, which is pretty formal and, honestly, kind of brutal.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron