A few notes on the college hoops coaching carousel

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
1 - Keep an eye on what's going on at St. Johns. Matt Abdelmassih would be a perfect fit there - not as a head coach - but as an assistant. I'm just speculating here of course (I love this time of year) but remember that Matt went to St. Johns, was a manager there and obviously is in tight with the New York basketball community.

2 - Former ISU assistant T.J. Otzelberger left Ames because he wanted more experience to eventually land a head job. Green Bay opened up last night. Perhaps this is the time where Otz will get his opportunity to lead a program. He's the perfect candidate for that gig.

3 - Texas is open and it sounds like they are going to spend A LOT on their new coach. Is next year the beginning of the Gregg Marshall era in the Big 12?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You think Matt would leave Fred? Always thought that he would go wherever Fred went

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Hope TJ does get that job. Get him some HC experience so if Fred ever does move on he's ready to go.

j_crow

Oct 24, 2007
Ames, IA
I understand that he has ties in Wisconsin and that he was here for some success at Iowa State, but do you think Otz will get a look even though he's coaching on a poor UW team? I mean, he was a great recruiter for us, but the 2011-12 ISU team has been the only legitimately good team he's been on an NCAA coaching staff for, right?

Edit: Forgot he was also here for 2012-13... oops!

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
1 - Keep an eye on what's going on at St. Johns. Matt Abdelmassih would be a perfect fit there - not as a head coach - but as an assistant. I'm just speculating here of course (I love this time of year) but remember that Matt went to St. Johns, was a manager there and obviously is in tight with the New York basketball community.

2 - Former ISU assistant T.J. Otzelberger left Ames because he wanted more experience to eventually land a head job. Green Bay opened up last night. Perhaps this is the time where Otz will get his opportunity to lead a program. He's the perfect candidate for that gig.

3 - Texas is open and it sounds like they are going to spend A LOT on their new coach. Is next year the beginning of the Gregg Marshall era in the Big 12?

Texas isn't open yet but I get your drift. I agree Marshall will be their #1 target and odds are better than 50% that he ends up there.

Lorenzo Romar survived the ax this season but next season may be his last at Washington so Otz may be wise to pursue UWGB if Alison wants to live there.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
How many assistants from St John's have gone on to directly become HCs?

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I understand that he has ties in Wisconsin and that he was here for some success at Iowa State, but do you think Otz will get a look even though he's coaching on a poor UW team? I mean, he was a great recruiter for us, but the 2011-12 ISU team has been the only legitimately good team he's been on an NCAA coaching staff for, right?

Edit: Forgot he was also here for 2012-13... oops!

I think Otz's (continued) relationship with Jamie Pollard needs to be noted. Several times a year, Pollard posts pictures of himself and the Otzelberger's out to dinner and such. I assume this is 1.) they're friends, both have Wisconsin ties, and 2.) never let a relationship die when your in the business of relationships. In the future, Otzelberger COULD be an option for ISU, and you therefore keep ties.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
There has to be more to the Lavin/St Johns story doesn't there?

KLP630

Sep 6, 2013
I personally think Otz has almost become a legend and can't really understand why. I think he did a nice job as an assistant, but do not see anything spectacular compared to other assistants around the country. The WGB job certainly makes sense and seems like a good fit for him, I just don't get those that think he would be on the short list at ISU.
I have nothing against Otz and I am very appreciative of his time at ISU, just don't see the gigantic interest in him from an ISU HEAD coaching perspective.

Note- my comments are not directed at anything Madcitycy posted, I am speaking in general terms only.

Last edited:
Reactions: LindenCy

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I would love for Otz to become a successful head coach and pick up some experience at UWGB so that we have a back up plan for when Fred leaves/retires.

It seems like a natural fit.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
There has to be more to the Lavin/St Johns story doesn't there?

No kidding. From both sides talking openly about extending him two weeks ago, to mutually agreeing to part ways. Weird.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I think there are very few jobs thst Matt would leave Fred for but this - the opportunity to go home and live the dream - could be one of them.

Matt is not going anywhere at least for another year. If he does it will be for a head coaching job.

Not sure who to trust here...the publisher of this site who's very close to the athletic department, or some random with 460 posts. Hmm...

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Hope TJ does get that job. Get him some HC experience so if Fred ever does move on he's ready to go.

I would love for Otz to become a successful head coach and pick up some experience at UWGB so that we have a back up plan for when Fred leaves/retires.

It seems like a natural fit.

It's funny how so many people just assume that Otzelberger will not only be successful as a head coach, but successful enough to succeed the most beloved personality in Iowa State sports history who's delivered more success than we've ever known and shows no signs of letting up.

Cart > Horse

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
It's funny how so many people just assume that Otzelberger will not only be successful as a head coach, but successful enough to succeed the most beloved personality in Iowa State sports history who's delivered more success than we've ever known and shows no signs of letting up.

Cart > Horse

Stop putting words in my mouth.

Who's saying he will for sure succeed and who's saying he would or wouldn't fill Fred's shoes in a successful way?

Regardless, one day we will have to replace Fred, so the more successful coaches with ISU ties the better.

I said "I would love for him to succeed"....

Do you disagree?

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Stop putting words in my mouth.

Who's saying he will for sure succeed and who's saying he would or wouldn't fill Fred's shoes in a successful way?

Regardless, one day we will have to replace Fred, so the more successful coaches with ISU ties the better.

I said "I would love for him to succeed"....

Do you disagree?

No, I just find it amusing that people think about contingencies that probably won't arise for many, many years. By the time Iowa State has a coaching vacancy, the college basketball landscape is going to look completely different than it does today...and if Fred keeps the program on this trajectory, we'll have no shortage of excellent candidates to replace him. Hoping for the glorious return of T.J. Otzelberger in the distant future just seems like a weird thing to envision right now.

CintiClone

Nov 10, 2009
Hmmm... Have DareDevil and CW ever been seen together?
Not sure who to trust here...the publisher of this site who's very close to the athletic department, or some random with 460 posts. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
I think there are very few jobs thst Matt would leave Fred for but this - the opportunity to go home and live the dream - could be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DareDevil View Post
Matt is not going anywhere at least for another year. If he does it will be for a head coaching job.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
No, I just find it amusing that people think about contingencies that probably won't arise for many, many years. By the time Iowa State has a coaching vacancy, the college basketball landscape is going to look completely different than it does today...and if Fred keeps the program on this trajectory, we'll have no shortage of excellent candidates to replace him. Hoping for the glorious return of T.J. Otzelberger in the distant future just seems like a weird thing to envision right now.

Ok next time I will list 25 alternate scenarios and contingencies for every speculative idea posted on CF