A few nuggets from yesterday's (8-12-17) scrimmage

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I'd like to see some of the coaches, specifically CMC, come out and talk about some of the things we're not doing well right now and need to get corrected pronto. I get a bit worried, and reminded of the Rhoads era too, when I hear all these glowing remarks every day from all the coaches. I understand them wanting to get everyone excited and buying tickets, but now and then I'd like to see someone come up to the mic and say.... "we stunk out there in practice today. It wasn't acceptable at all. Too many dropped passes, too many missed tackles, and too many stupid penalties. Lack of focus. We'll get it corrected though, trust me.".

I know in practice it isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and there is a lot of a** chewing going on, I guess I'd just like to hear one of them look a little displeased in these interviews once in a while too for some reason. I'm weird like that.

While i get what u mean I've certainly heard CMC and staff be not pleased with a practice or two..One thing i do like about this staff is they dont sugar coat things and arent gimmicky to sell tickets.

Reactions: cyence

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Don't know what it is about DeShaunte Jones, the guy isn't super fast, or super strong. He is very shifty, just seems to make plays, and opposing defenders look silly. Really looking forward to him getting more touches this year.

Couldn't agree more.... my word for D Jones is he's got that wiggle.... when he gets the ball with any space, defenders fear his big play ability. I too am looking forward to seeing him get more touches... hearing he may not be a starter - but obviously play a lot, should tell us a lot about the talent our squad has at WR.... Pumped for this offense.... IF this line can protect for Park and open some holes, there is no limit to this offenses abilities. Going back and watching last year, i still say that Park has done something that not many ISU qb's have done... Go through your progression - don't just throw it to the first option, if he's covered or even doubled!!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Couldn't agree more.... my word for D Jones is he's got that wiggle.... when he gets the ball with any space, defenders fear his big play ability. I too am looking forward to seeing him get more touches... hearing he may not be a starter - but obviously play a lot, should tell us a lot about the talent our squad has at WR.... Pumped for this offense.... IF this line can protect for Park and open some holes, there is no limit to this offenses abilities. Going back and watching last year, i still say that Park has done something that not many ISU qb's have done... Go through your progression - don't just throw it to the first option, if he's covered or even doubled!!!!!
Who is starting over him besides AL?

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Too soon for Lima time?

070315_lad_limatime_med_j97sl8k4.gif

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
i still say that Park has done something that not many ISU qb's have done... Go through your progression - don't just throw it to the first option, if he's covered or even doubled!!!!![/QUOTE]

I really like Park, because he can really wing the ball, but going through your progressions is also dependent on having time to do so. Again, need the OL to play better than it has in the past. Parks ability to throw will actually help buy some time. The risk of blitzing a guy that can fire a strike at any time is much greater than blitzing a guy that needs to have everything in order to throw a good pass.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We're going to run it for 8 ypc, throw it for 10ypa, and make UNI go 3 and out every series. Your move UNI. :)

Hoping Tongumoa can still get here and play meaningful snaps this year.

My brother and I used to joke about how at the beginning of bowl games whey they do a short feature where they ask the starting QB of one team what they want to do when they get the ball; the answer is pretty typical 'set the tone, be efficient, etc.' but it'd be great if once they just said 'We'll probably just go 3 and out and put it on the defense. The other team is just really, really good.'

• Funny
Reactions: skibumspe

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'd like to see some of the coaches, specifically CMC, come out and talk about some of the things we're not doing well right now and need to get corrected pronto. I get a bit worried, and reminded of the Rhoads era too, when I hear all these glowing remarks every day from all the coaches. I understand them wanting to get everyone excited and buying tickets, but now and then I'd like to see someone come up to the mic and say.... "we stunk out there in practice today. It wasn't acceptable at all. Too many dropped passes, too many missed tackles, and too many stupid penalties. Lack of focus. We'll get it corrected though, trust me.".

I know in practice it isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and there is a lot of a** chewing going on, I guess I'd just like to hear one of them look a little displeased in these interviews once in a while too for some reason. I'm weird like that.

YA bro lets tell all of the other teams what we suck at so they can exploit it from game 1.

UNLESS...5D CHESS! Yaaaaaaa!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There was a penalty nearly every other play. Offense hasn't really found its stride yet. Which isn't much of a surprise, easier for a defense to be good in August than the offense.

If the offense has an identity and makes basic football plays to start out the year good deal.

There's been many years including last year (first two games) where they didn't seem to have any sense of purpose or identity.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I am really excited to see what Park does this year. If he can be consistent with his throws and just be spectacular once in a while, it could be a really fun year. Our QB play has sucked for so long. Rarely have we had the better QB on the field.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
As long as we beat UNI, we can be practicing like a 2nd grade flag football team for all I care.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron