A look at Iowa State's Ballscreen Defense Problem

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Our defense was fine considering the make-up of the roster.

28-9

Next

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Our defensive goal is not to shut down everything an opponent does, but force them to do what we want them to do. And then score more on the other end. Defensive statistics can be impacted greatly by strategic decisions.

boblaporte

Sep 4, 2013
Iowa
This is a great post by “cyismydogâ€￾.

I predict Monte Morris will improve his defense this year because he desires to do so, but McKay will be the big factor in a substantially improved team defense.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree a lot with what was said here, however due to the makeup of the team (freshman playing significant minutes, short frontcourt, little depth) I was pleased with the d.

All of the advanced stats say the best way to defend screens is to hedge way out, as far past the 3 point line as possible. That's just a really bad strategy with last years team with depth and conditioning being an issue in the frontcourt.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Great post cyismydog. I honestly thought that ISU was pretty effective defending ball screens this past year. You're always gonna have some lapses, and sometimes you get beat by a talented player Markel Brown, but I think not letting teams get easy buckets off of ball screens was one of the reasons ISU managed to be an average defense this past year despite playing 2 freshman significant minutes, and not having a lot of height in the interior.
Thanks Doc-I will point out that a ball screen was the second most frequent play type that led to a score against ISU, and they were quite bad at guarding it statistically as well as from the eye test.
iowastatedefense2.png

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
All you experts here need to state how many years you have coached at the D1 or D2 level before making comments. Oh, that would kill the thread.

Erik Spoelstra if you're reading this thread don't even think about giving us your analysis...

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Will Iowa State consider playing some zone this year?

Fred does play zone. He doesn't use it as much as a Syracuse or Baylor does, but it's definitely in his arsenal. I remember seeing it a lot when Babb would be on the bench.

Maybe he'll play it more with a guy like McKay coming on board?

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Bump.

It has become quite clear that ball-screen and pick'n'roll defense has been an issue for ISU. Since they no longer offer it as a public service, anybody have access to Synergy's College Basketball data or is willing to spend $6,500 per year for the data service?

I would love to see the following data (OP clip from 13-14 ISU team)
attachment.php
on this year's team this far. I will be watching with a keen interest in how this team's defense will evolve throughout the year. This is the area of improvement required for whether high expectations become reality or just an aberration.

Attachments

• iowastatedefense2.png
    iowastatedefense2.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 179

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We have to get McKay off of the ball screens/pick and roll and our hedge guy (usually Monte) can't sell out so hard to force the ball towards the guy guarding the screener. Switch on to the screener with Nader or Niang (whoever is guarding a less dangerous player) when they come to the top so McKay can sit in the lane. As much as people want to think we can shut everything down it's not possible. There's going to be some poison in there somewhere but playing the PR/BS like we are is opening us up to get hurt in about 4 different ways. If we can cut that down to leaving 2 openings, one of which being a big on the pop from 17-20 feet I'd be fine with that.

Texas/OU/KU are probably going to be our worst match ups in the PR/BS game because Lammert/Spangler/Ellis are capable of hitting the 3 off of the pop but I still would rather live with that so we can keep our spacing in tact everywhere else and not have to cover so much ground after we get sucked in.