A Look at the DL in 2011

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
After all of the DL recruitment bickering, I thought it would be refreshing to step back and discuss what we already have for 2011. At first glance it looks like the depth appears a bit thin, but I'm optimistic about the talent returning and the experience this group has had over the past two years. I've put together a list to show what we have to line the trenches in 2011 with the most important DL stats imo.

From the 2010 depth chart w/ stats:

Pos. Tot.tack/Sacks/QB hurries.

LE:
Lattimer SR 39/4/5
Neal SR 29/1/2
Scott SO 2/0/0

DT:
Laing JR 15/0/2
Black SR

NG:
Ruemp SR 33/2.5/0
McDonough JR 17/1/3

RE:
Maggitt JR 30/0/1
Moore SO

Add in:

Nelson at DE
Kron at DE(?)
and
Woods DL
Jensen DL

Thoughts-

The experience at DE is solid but the production needs to improve. This is the first time I can remember that there will be a solid 5man+ rotation at the ends. I think this group will really surprise. We need Nelson and Moore to provide instant depth and push Lattimer/Maggitt/Neal in order to shorten throwing time and pull some stress off the Interior.

In the interior, Ruemp was my biggest surprise in 2010. He was the top performer and proved able to clog the middle consistently. If he continues to improve I am willing to bet our rush D surprises as well this fall. Laing and McD got meaningful minutes and decent stats proving to be solid 2nd men in the middle. I want to see them get stats like Ruemp's 10' #'s, which would be huge. The biggest ?, imo, is if Jerrod Black, Brandon Jensen, Woods, and/or any newcomers are able to provide any depth inside. We can't expect to line up with only 3 reliable Down lineman and last the grind of a season.

Any other thoughts or corrections?

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Good analysis, I like to think that Nelson will compete for some time at the right end position. I think his year of prep is going to be very beneficial for him heading into this season.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
After all of the DL recruitment bickering, I thought it would be refreshing to step back and discuss what we already have for 2011. At first glance it looks like the depth appears a bit thin, but I'm optimistic about the talent returning and the experience this group has had over the past two years. I've put together a list to show what we have to line the trenches in 2011 with the most important DL stats imo.

LE:
Lattimer SR 39/4/5
Neal SR 29/1/2
Scott SO 2/0/0

DT:
Laing JR 15/0/2
Black SR

NG:
Ruemp SR 33/2.5/0
McDonough JR 17/1/3

RE:
Maggitt JR 30/0/1
Moore SO

Add in:

Nelson at DE
Kron at DE(?)
and
Woods DL
Jensen DL

Thoughts-

The experience at DE is solid but the production needs to improve. This is the first time I can remember that there will be a solid 5man+ rotation at the ends. I think this group will really surprise. We need Nelson and Moore to provide instant depth and push Lattimer/Maggitt/Neal in order to shorten throwing time and pull some stress off the Interior.

In the interior, Ruemp was my biggest surprise in 2010. He was the top performer and proved able to clog the middle consistently. If he continues to improve I am willing to bet our rush D surprises as well this fall. Laing and McD got meaningful minutes and decent stats proving to be solid 2nd men in the middle. I want to see them get stats like Ruemp's 10' #'s, which would be huge. The biggest ?, imo, is if Jerrod Black, Brandon Jensen, Woods, and/or any newcomers are able to provide any depth inside. We can't expect to line up with only 3 reliable Down lineman and last the grind of a season.

Any other thoughts or corrections?

FAIL. Stop clouding the issue with facts. We all know the sky is falling.

Signed,

Chicken Little

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
FAIL. Stop clouding the issue with facts. We all know the sky is falling.

Signed,

Chicken Little
Fact is we haven't seen the majority of these guys on the field yet. And considering that our DTs were not the most productive group in the NCAA, that doesn't make me feel great.

Also, I am not worried about next year. Look two years down the road and tell me you like what we will have on the roster then. Do you think Rhoads will suddenly be able to get Gerald McCoy like 5 star DTs to start as true freshman?

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis

LE:
Lattimer SR 39/4/5
Neal SR 29/1/2
Scott SO 2/0/0

DT:
Laing JR 15/0/2
Black SR

NG:
Ruemp SR 33/2.5/0
McDonough JR 17/1/3

RE:
Maggitt JR 30/0/1
Moore SO

You're right in that we have a lot of experience returning as we only lost two seniors (Bailey Johnson with 20 tackles and 0.5 sacks and Rashawn Parker with 30 tackles and 0 sacks).

But to put things in perspective, the 9 guys that return from last season had a combined 165 tackles and 8.5 sacks last year. By comparison, ISU's four DL starters in 2005 (Berryman, Curvey, Leaders and Moorhead) had a combined 208 tackles and 25 sacks all by themselves in just one season.

So we have experience returning, but are they good enough to win games in the Big 12? We'll have to wait and see but I'd feel better if we had some Jucos to push the returning guys for playing time.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
In 2011 the DL isnt' going to dominate games, the LBs and DBs will do their best at that. But, if the DL can prove to be a sufficient crew and not let teams gash runs consistently up the middle and get better pressure on the QB, this D could be a very salty group.

I think we have the pieces to make this happen in 2011....but, just 1 injury or little improvement out of Laing and McD and you can throw that out the window. Wally and Rhoads have little margin of error here.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Wait, we have 6 guys to play the interior? I thought we didn't have anyone besides Rump and Jake?

But, but, we needed a Juco DT to come in and save them (even though most JUCO's don't have an impact until year 2.)

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
You're right in that we have a lot of experience returning as we only lost two seniors (Bailey Johnson with 20 tackles and 0.5 sacks and Rashawn Parker with 30 tackles and 0 sacks).

But to put things in perspective, the 9 guys that return from last season had a combined 165 tackles and 8.5 sacks last year. By comparison, ISU's four DL starters in 2005 (Berryman, Curvey, Leaders and Moorhead) had a combined 208 tackles and 25 sacks all by themselves in just one season.

So we have experience returning, but are they good enough to win games in the Big 12? We'll have to wait and see but I'd feel better if we had some Jucos to push the returning guys for playing time.

That DL was downright nasty, probably the best I've seen at ISU. The flipside IMO, is that the 2011 D has a little bit better overall talent at LB and DB. If they can improve from 2010, I'll be excited.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Who knows what can happen over the course of the next four to five years with the positions that our young guys will play. The staff is recruiting players that have the athleticism and speed to play multiple positions at the BCS level. To expect that there won't be any player movement is myopic.

This years class includes two defensive ends:
David Irving DE
Nick Kron DE

You also have three players that have the frames and athleticism to potentially develop into defensive linemen.

Athletes:
Devin Lemke 6-4 213
JQ Daniels 6-4 218

LB
Jevohn Miller 6-1 225

I have no idea if any of these players will move to positions other then what they are currently listed, but I can guarantee you that they are all competitors, and if they later realize that their best chance to get on the field is at a position other then where they started, they will most likely do what is necessary to get on the field.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
if we couldn't get our hands on anyone as good or better or more potential than what we already have, then why recruit the guy?

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
That DL was downright nasty, probably the best I've seen at ISU. The flipside IMO, is that the 2011 D has a little bit better overall talent at LB and DB. If they can improve from 2010, I'll be excited.

So you're willing to say that Jake Knott & AJ Klein are better than Tim Dobbins, Matt Robertson, Adam Carper and Alvin Bowen and that the secondary, which has zero experience at safety is better tham Steve Paris, Nik Moser, LeMarcus Hicks and DeAndre Jackson?

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think LJ, Benton, and Reeves are a better CB group than Hicks and Jackson. Close and probably could be argued both ways.

Safety 2005 was better.

I think Knott and Klein are better than the Dobbins/Robertson/Carper combo. I assume they have more speed and play better laterally. Dobbins was the utlimate Inside backer and dominated the run but was able to be exposed on the pass (btw Dobbins is my favorite Defensive player of the last 10 years). Big 12 offenses are much different now, which is why I think our DB/LB lineup is overall better prepared to help out the DL.

Regardless, the point I'm trying to make is that we don't need the DL to win games, just take a little pressure off of the strength of the D and I think they can do that.

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
This is one of the saddest crop of defensive linemen I have ever seen at Iowa State. Im not trying to put these guys down or anything like that, but guys we just witnessed these guys last year. What makes you think they will be a sacking raging machine, point of attack, not get pushed off the ball by 3 yards when the ball is snapped (Iowa game in particular) players? It is going to be the exaxt same stuff, get use to it untill we actually bring in some defensive line guys.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Good analysis, I like to think that Nelson will compete for some time at the right end position. I think his year of prep is going to be very beneficial for him heading into this season.
According to Lattimer, Nelson will be starting next year.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We have had much worse DL's than the one we have coming back next year.

If Lattimer plays the full season like he showed flashes of last year, then we are great at one end. If Nelson is as good as they say, we are good at the other end. I thought Ruemp played damn well last year and expect him to be even better. Same goes for Laing and McDonough. We definitely will NOT be worse.

At LB we will be even better. And at CB we will be better as well. We will miss Sims at the Safety, and McConnell and Sandvig. But I think we have some pretty talented prospects to choose from there.

Rest assured that Wally Burnham will field a pretty damn good defense. That salty old dog is a helluva coach.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm not overly concerned about DE. I think Lattimer, Nelson, and Maggitt are all quality guys. Plus we will be developing some younger guys in Moore, Irving, Kron, Lemke, etc.

DT scares me to death though. Rump is the only Big 12 quality DT we have. Sorry if that offends anyone... it's just the truth. McDonough and Laing have some potential, but that's all it is right now. They were not Big 12 quality DT's last year. I hope they will be this year.

Jerrod Black is a senior and has not hardly played a single down here. Do you want to count on him playing much? I don't know how good Walter Woods is, I will admit that. Then there's Brandon Jensen... who isn't anywhere near ready yet.

If Rump gets hurt, we are in SERIOUS trouble. I don't even see any walk-on DT's on the roster. At least at DE we have some bodies to work with.

I'm still wondering about Oni Omoile though? He looks like an intriguing DT prospect... even though he's coming in as a OT. Rhoads raved about his athleticism, his quick feet, etc. Sounds to me like someone that might be able to make the switch?

Right now I'd say we need to grab 2 JUCO DT's and 2 freshmen DT's in next years class to make up for taking one in the last 2 years combined. That will be a lot easier said than done though.

Reactions: ljhlax

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Who knows what can happen over the course of the next four to five years with the positions that our young guys will play. The staff is recruiting players that have the athleticism and speed to play multiple positions at the BCS level. To expect that there won't be any player movement is myopic.

This years class includes two defensive ends:
David Irving DE
Nick Kron DE

You also have three players that have the frames and athleticism to potentially develop into defensive linemen.

Athletes:
Devin Lemke 6-4 213
JQ Daniels 6-4 218

LB
Jevohn Miller 6-1 225

I have no idea if any of these players will move to positions other then what they are currently listed, but I can guarantee you that they are all competitors, and if they later realize that their best chance to get on the field is at a position other then where they started, they will most likely do what is necessary to get on the field.

At least one of the HS recruits that signed yesterday will eventually be developed into a DT. And it likely could be two of them.

There aren't enough ready-to-play DTs from the HS and JUCO ranks that are good enough to be at least adequate at the BCS level. Programs like ISU have to develop them; quite a few here are completely clueless about that.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
I think things are looking more positive than people think. I played in high school with McDonough and he is a freak. Our LBs are great and our secondary is solid, and apart from the QB situation, we're pretty stacked on offense (at least at RB), and I'm confident we'll have a solid year out of whoever starts at QB because of all the competition.